your all going to hate me! Yet another question!!!

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I seem to be spamming this forum so i am really really really sorry!!! My DSN last week said she didnt need to see me for 2 weeks and inbetween appointments she wanted me to have a go at making my own adjustments on the pump... panic stations!!!! I used to be really good on MDI and could change it in a flash successfully... changing 1 injection morn or evening was easy compared to figuring out hour by hour!!!

I really hope someone can help me :) im just wanting to do a little by little and figured the easiest bit would be to get my nighttime sorted as i dont eat (usually ;) )

my 3am reading is slightly elevated but then goes up by brekky so would it be worthwhile just increasing between 12am and 3am and keeping 3am onwards the same to see what happens? I wasnt told by how much i should make changes but i figured if i start on the lowest amount (i think .1) then it shouldnt sent me through the floor (in theory :lol: )

iHs

Dragonflye said:
I seem to be spamming this forum so i am really really really sorry!!! My DSN last week said she didnt need to see me for 2 weeks and inbetween appointments she wanted me to have a go at making my own adjustments on the pump... panic stations!!!! I used to be really good on MDI and could change it in a flash successfully... changing 1 injection morn or evening was easy compared to figuring out hour by hour!!!

I really hope someone can help me :) im just wanting to do a little by little and figured the easiest bit would be to get my nighttime sorted as i dont eat (usually ;) )

my 3am reading is slightly elevated but then goes up by brekky so would it be worthwhile just increasing between 12am and 3am and keeping 3am onwards the same to see what happens? I wasnt told by how much i should make changes but i figured if i start on the lowest amount (i think .1) then it shouldnt sent me through the floor (in theory :lol: )

Hi

Most people get their control sorted when they start to make their own adjustments. I haven't got a Veo but have got a Combo.

The Combo allows people to make very minute adjustments to every hourly basal rate if they want to but as a general guide for you I would suggest that if your bg level is only slightly more than it should be, then you just adjust the previous 2 hours, ie: if yr bg is elevated at 3am, then you slightly adjust the 1am and 2am first before you also adjust the 12am. I tend to adjust by 0.01u at a time which I'm not sure is the same as 0.1u on the Veo.

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
cool thank you so much :) just looked and increase is by 0.025 so going to try that now and see what happens :) am i right in thinking i should be able to tell immediately what effect it's had, ie tomorrow at 3am if ive gone through the floor i know i may need to decrease either 1 am or 2am? i feel really stupid about this :(

iHs

Hi

You won't know if your adjustments on the pump are ok until you do a bg test. Obviously if you find that you are a bit hypo then you will need to use your hypo fix and then test again 2hrs later to see how yr bg is then.

Has your dsn given you a target bg to aim for when fasting?

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope, she asked me what I wanted my target to be and my mind went blank so i think i said id like between 5 and 6!!! since last thurs night at 3 am it's been around 7-8 and then by about 7am when i get up its 8-9.

not drastically high but i figured if i can sort this out then i may be able to get my head round making alterations at other times of day which i need to :)

I knew it was going to be a lot of work, I was told since I was so good at changing my insulin amounts when i was on MDI i should get the hang of it easy enough, right now im looking at it and thinking what on earth have i got myself into LOL

iHs

Dragonflye said:
Nope, she asked me what I wanted my target to be and my mind went blank so i think i said id like between 5 and 6!!! since last thurs night at 3 am it's been around 7-8 and then by about 7am when i get up its 8-9.

not drastically high but i figured if i can sort this out then i may be able to get my head round making alterations at other times of day which i need to :)

I knew it was going to be a lot of work, I was told since I was so good at changing my insulin amounts when i was on MDI i should get the hang of it easy enough, right now im looking at it and thinking what on earth have i got myself into LOL

Hi

You are not really all that high are you at the times you state?

If you want to fine tune things a bit more then as a caution I would suggest that you get yr fasting overnight bg levels to be about 6mmol so that when you get up in the morning and test, you are also on about 6mmol. That way if your body decides to change its need for insulin there will be some leeway so you won't find yourself going right down into hypo land if your fasting overnight basals were for 5mmol for example. Everyone is different though so it's up to you to set a sensible target.

When I asked my consultant about daytime fasting, I was told to do it for no more than 5-6hrs at a time and to aim for a fasting bg level of about 7mmol which to me is sensible as it gives me some leeway if my insulin to carb ratio is not quite right.

It's up to you though what you decide to do :)

Tracey69

I am not on an insulin pump but am a T1 diabetic you could up the dose slowly for the 12am to 3.00am just watch you don;t drop into hypo, but upping by one may not be enough, but start slowly, otherwise ring your DNS that's what what there there for