Your thoughts

Spencer3108

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Guys,
been reading a lot on here the past few weeks and wanted to post to see if my recent experience matches any of yours.
Brief overview, i'm a 40 year old male, 5ft 10 and about 175 currently. I have been physically fit my entire life having boxed and still attend the gym 5 days per week and eat very healthily.

A few weeks ago I started having funny turns where it felt like I became drained of energy and was going to pass out. It would slowly subside but I would remain spaced out all day.

I went to the GP and my fasting blood glucose came back as 6.5. They have since done a hba1c (I believe its called) and they said it as normal.
A friend of mine is diabetic and gave me her machine to use. My fasting bloods have been as high as 6.9 and are always above 6.
The other day I felt like I was going pass out / very sleepy, I tested my BG and it was 8.6. This was about 3.5 hrs after having breakfast which was greek yogurt, a weetabix and a protein shake. However, I sometimes test when I feel lightheaded and drowsy a few hours after eating and my BG can be as low as 5.4.

I've been keeping a detailed diary for the past weeks and a summary is:
Feel absolutely knackered all the time and always fancy a snooze. Took the dog for a walk the other day and had to stop for a rest as I was very breathless and felt really sleepy. However, about 2 hours later I perked up, went to the gym and did 8 rounds on the bag + weights.

I am having lots of bad and mad dreams.

I am often getting confused and forgetful and feeling a bit dreamy.

I am waking up twice per night to use the toilet which I never do.

I drink a lot of water during the day but in the early evening am very thirsty. Also, in the later evening I crave something sweet which is unlike me.

I am very snappy and starving before my food which is not like me.

I have lost 1 stone in weight over the past 5 weeks without meaning to. I am not overweight, because of my exercise I would say I'm in good shape.

I work with a girl with type 1 and she said she went through similar things to me (but much ore frequent trips to the toilet) for about 6 months before being diagnosed.

My sister had hypoglycemic episodes for a long time but has never been diagnosed and my mum is going through tests at the moment as her BG is not stable.

Does the above match any of your symptoms please? I really don't know what is wrong with me and its really scary how different I feel to how I normally am. My GP is not really interested as my HBA1C test said I was ok.

Thanks in advance, any comments will help.

Spencer3108

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, the doctor has not et told me. I only got a "fine" response from the receptionist. I need to book to see the doc to get the details and discuss further I guess.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you have online access to your records the result will be there. If not you can request a printout from reception. Taking a 'it's fine' from a receptionist just doesn't cut it.

Spencer3108

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
I called the docs and they said my HBA1C is 35. They are giving me a call back to discuss further as I'm still having issues.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A count of 35 is indeed normal. Keep at it, things will get sorted. Good luck.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You're welcome, come back and let us know how you get on.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope the doctor will look for other causes of your symptoms.

The problem is that fasting is just a snap shot at that moment and HBA1C looks at blood sugar over the previous 3 months.

I would ask for a further HBA1C in 3 months and maybe an oral glucose tolerence test. As the problems you are experiencing have come on quickly your last HBA1C may not reflect what is going on.

Have a look at this
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes-tests.html

and this explains what is normal and what is not
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: Bluetit1802