your valued input required.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi Folks
I was type two for a few months and now rediagnosed as type one (read my first post)

I have been been put on Nova Rapid 6ml 4 times / day then Lantus 10ml bedtime.
my DN explains I will be on this dose until my bg's settle down . I also am still on metformin 1000mg twice a day . I wondered if anyone else is on the dosage as me and what to expect.
JF.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi JF

I hope that it will not be too long before one of our insulin using forum members comes along with some advice for you. You might also try in the Type 1 part of the forum.

Regards

Doug

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi JF!

Welcome to the ever-increasing club of those of us misdiagnosed as Type 2!

I can't help you with the metformin, but the insulin is pretty quick to get used to. I use different insulins to you, but they do the same job (Apidra instead of novarapid and Insuman instead of Lantus). They will have just put you on a 'holding' dose for a while to see what happens. My panceas reacted to the initial support of insulin by producing loads of its own for a while, so I had to keep decreasing my dose until things settled down. My DSN rang me every day to discuss my levels and adjust doses accordingly.

What they might not have told you yet is that you should adjust your novarapid depending on what you eat. They will probably have started you off on a 10:1 ratio of carb to insulin (i.e. 1 unit Novarapid to every 10g carb) - you will need to count the carbs in what you eat and take the correct novarapid dose to cover it - it's quite straightforward and you'll get used to it in no time. Buy yourself the Calorie, Carb and Fat Bible - I don't know how would have managed without that! I'm not sure how the Metformin will affect your ratios, so hopefully someone on the same regime as you will be along with some advice soon.

Good luck - and try ot to worry - it's easier tha it first seems!

Smidge