Ypsomed loop / Medtronic 780g/ Tslim

\Daf/

Hi there
I too have an insight pump and being in the 50+ age bracket it is all a bit of a minefield.
I have been offered the Medtronic 780, the Tandem T slim or Omnipod.
Personally any advice as to which is easiest to use would be most helpful.
I have good control EVEN with the insight pump.
Not sure which models of these pumps being offered though.
Please help.
Good luck everyone else.

I too had those choices of pumps, I’m in the 60 year old bracket, but find them all easy to play around with, as I’m interested in that sort of thing.

My choice is the T Slim Basal, but, I have to self fund the Dexcom, even though way back when, I did medical trial for them on the Dexcom 3.

I looked into all 3 pumps, The Omnipod was too bulky for me, the 780 I can’t remember why I didn’t go for that, but the T Slim has the basal to keep me in a tighter control, I’m also doing away with Novo rapid insulin, they can stuff their vials where the sun don’t shine, appalling service from this Micky mouse outfit.

The slim has a 3ml tank, plug-in rechargeable battery, and best of all, it can update itself, unlike most pumps.

I get my new pump in September, but this accu-chek runs out in 3 weeks time, I’ve told the hospital I will not wear it after that, after all the problems I’ve had with the **** thing, so I’ll be back on pens again, so hopefully the hospital will pull their finger out and get a “Rep” out to show me the ropes, sadly my nurse is leaving and it’s just manic in the hospital at this time.

If you can, get the 780/t slim/ Omnipod pamphlets, read them and make your choice, ask your nurse if like me you have to self fund, which is in the region of £10,000 over the 4 years, perhaps they may pay for it, I don’t see why I have to, but that’s another forum chat.

Good luck and let me know what you’re going with.

Lastly I’ll be on Humalog fast acting with the T Slim

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I too had those choices of pumps, I’m in the 60 year old bracket, but find them all easy to play around with, as I’m interested in that sort of thing.

My choice is the T Slim Basal, but, I have to self fund the Dexcom, even though way back when, I did medical trial for them on the Dexcom 3.

I looked into all 3 pumps, The Omnipod was too bulky for me, the 780 I can’t remember why I didn’t go for that, but the T Slim has the basal to keep me in a tighter control, I’m also doing away with Novo rapid insulin, they can stuff their vials where the sun don’t shine, appalling service from this Micky mouse outfit.

The slim has a 3ml tank, plug-in rechargeable battery, and best of all, it can update itself, unlike most pumps.

I get my new pump in September, but this accu-chek runs out in 3 weeks time, I’ve told the hospital I will not wear it after that, after all the problems I’ve had with the **** thing, so I’ll be back on pens again, so hopefully the hospital will pull their finger out and get a “Rep” out to show me the ropes, sadly my nurse is leaving and it’s just manic in the hospital at this time.

If you can, get the 780/t slim/ Omnipod pamphlets, read them and make your choice, ask your nurse if like me you have to self fund, which is in the region of £10,000 over the 4 years, perhaps they may pay for it, I don’t see why I have to, but that’s another forum chat.

Good luck and let me know what you’re going with.

Lastly I’ll be on Humalog fast acting with the T Slim

Do you find the humalog works better for you? I've been in novorapid for years and it has a very slow reaction for me, over an hour, I'm soon to change to one of hybrid closed loop pumps, yet to decide which one

\Daf/

Do you find the humalog works better for you? I've been in novorapid for years and it has a very slow reaction for me, over an hour, I'm soon to change to one of hybrid closed loop pumps, yet to decide which one

I’m going on Humalog with my Tslim pump.

I actually heard from the hospital, that the order was placed today, very excited that I’m leaving the accu chek pump and novo rapid insulin behind.

Like you Megan, I find novo “rapid” very slow indeed, and after the company it even bothering to answer me, I’m glad to be rid of them, I have heard, Humalog is quicker acting, but, we are all different, so there is a possibility that it maybe the same time in acting as novo rapid?

I’ve been on novo rapid many many years, and looking forward to Humalog.

Good luck with your new pump, whatever you choose

Reactions: megan

\Daf/

Ido t know if anyone is still looking at this, I’ve now gone on to the TSlim control IQ and Humalog and the Dexcom G6 ( which I’m self funding)

I am absolutely amazed at this combo, where I used to have peaks and troughs all day and night, and mainly all over the place, and usually I’m a mere 16% in the normal range, the TSlim has put me right up there at a whooping 76% in range, I am so so impressed.

Humalog quickly brings me down compared to novo “rapid”

I’ll leave it there as no one comes here anymore, but if a passer by does, definitely get the TSlim!!

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I'm getting my t slim any day now and training through teams at the start of September. The change to Dexcom g6 has already made a difference, showing the libre to be giving me incorrect results and I don't know how long it's been doing that for.
Combination of that and ozempic has already dramatically improved my % in range. May change novorapid but not just yet so it's not too many changes in one go. Humalog wasn't mentioned but another. But novorapid does take ages to work for me by which time I've already spiked

\Daf/

I'm getting my t slim any day now and training through teams at the start of September. The change to Dexcom g6 has already made a difference, showing the libre to be giving me incorrect results and I don't know how long it's been doing that for.
Combination of that and ozempic has already dramatically improved my % in range. May change novorapid but not just yet so it's not too many changes in one go. Humalog wasn't mentioned but another. But novorapid does take ages to work for me by which time I've already spiked

I found the Libre 2 was lagging too.

I had Sarah teach me, very knowledgeable, very easy to follow, very straight forward too.

You can download the simulator for talon and play around with it, when I got my pump, I programmed it and was all ready to use, but I held back, as I was unsure when I would be taught using the Dexcom and Tslim Toby, and I only had 1 transmitter, so if I didn’t start it, for that reason.

I would certainly ask for Humalog, for me it’s so much better, faster acting, stable glucose, just a great combination.

Good luck with your new pump when you get it, you won’t be disappointed!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @\Daf/ I'm glad it's working so well for you. Interesting you find Humalog works better than Novorapid. I'd already decided to start on this when I switch pumps, so good to hear how you're getting on.

Reactions: \Daf/

\Daf/

Hi @\Daf/ I'm glad it's working so well for you. Interesting you find Humalog works better than Novorapid. I'd already decided to start on this when I switch pumps, so good to hear how you're getting on.
Humalog has made a difference, but the pump is amazing, you can bolus and not get it right and the pump will put you right, you can even see how much extra it’s put in, where you misjudged the bolus, in the last 2 days it put in 18 units, this must be where I’m not carb counting correctly, hence why my glucose before on the other pump, was so erratic?

Good luck with choosing your pump

Herbie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

My insight pump is getting chopped in due to the recall. The clinic have given me the options of the Medtronic 780g + guardian 4, tandem tslim + dex or possibly the ypsomed looping + dex.

I like the sound of the algorithm on the Medtronic as it learns the patterns, but I heard such bad things about the guardian 3 sensors, are the guardian 4 sensors actually better?
Can anyone tell me what the Medtronic steel canulas are called?

The tslim sounds a solid option and I already have a Dexcom so I know they work for me. The algorithm is reactive and doesn’t learn so I would say second best to the Medtronic in that respect, but still great.

The ypso I’m struggling to find info about. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and it seems quite basic? Does anyone know if it’s reactive or learns like the Medtronic? I’ve also seen suggestions that it was created for android first , does that mean iPhone users have to wait ages for software updates?

Any experiences and advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Naomi
I’m in the same boat although my clinic are only offering the T-Slim and Medtronic, and both without CGM at the moment.

I absolutely love the Insight so am gutted it’s being recalled; love the pre-filled cartridges and simple kit-change procedure. The idea of going back to the dark ages and having to fill up the reservoir with insulin from a vial / syringe is filling with me horror. And the size of the Medtronic is also a massive negative for me. That’s like going back 15 years. So I’m veering towards the Tandem.

But does anyone know the bolus delivery speed on the Tandem? And can it be altered? I bolus large amounts of insulin (up to 20 units per meal sometimes) and am concerned about the T-Slim’s very slow delivery speed. I have a superfast metabolism and already need to bolus 30 mins before eating, so I’m worried that I’ll need to do my lunchtime bolus at breakfast ( slight exaggeration, obviously!) or else my sugars will go sky high. I’ve heard that the T-slim takes over one minute to deliver one unit which seems ridiculous...

Herbie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Naomi, I’m on the insight pump, hate it and hate the novo rapid vials of insulin, I’ve had the pump since it’s been out, 8 years now ( this is the 4th or 5th one I’ve had, as they just kept failing) I have 42 days left until the warranty runs out, and wishing that it couldn’t come quicker.

I’m in the exact situation as you Naomi, I looked at what you have and I’ve opted for the tslim basal, after weighing everything up, this looks the best pump. Sadly I have to self fund the dexcom, but it may funded later on, who knows?

This pump I’m on and novo rapid insulin has been a nightmare, when I went on it, I said to accu chek it needs more testing as it just wasn’t right, I’ve written to Novo Nordisk, complaining about the insulin vials with bubbles in the vials, i sent back 57 vial’s all with bubbles! i have only found this out in the last 4 months, as every time I changed the inset, my bloods went into the high 20s and sometimes at 32/33.

Novo said their is nothing wrong, I worked in the pharmaceuticals and I can tell you, their is something wrong, and hey presto, they ( novo) have now admitted problems with the vials not delivering the correct amount.

I have around 42 days left, as the pump runs out of warranty, then I can get my tslim, and I can’t wait!

I hope you choose one you like, and goes well
Best wishes Steve
I’ve been on the Insight and NovoRapid cartridges since it was launched and love it, but I have had to have one pump replaced because of leakage, a good six years ago. I put it down to me being an idiot at the time and wrote it off as being one of those things. But it sounds like you’ve been to hell and back with it. So sorry to read all that. If these incidents have been going on so long but they are only now doing something about it, that really is awful.

Herbie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m going on Humalog with my Tslim pump.

I actually heard from the hospital, that the order was placed today, very excited that I’m leaving the accu chek pump and novo rapid insulin behind.

Like you Megan, I find novo “rapid” very slow indeed, and after the company it even bothering to answer me, I’m glad to be rid of them, I have heard, Humalog is quicker acting, but, we are all different, so there is a possibility that it maybe the same time in acting as novo rapid?

I’ve been on novo rapid many many years, and looking forward to Humalog.

Good luck with your new pump, whatever you choose
Maybe this has been my problem - the NovoRapid being so slow. Humalog sounds much better :)

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
Just caught up with this thread once more. My insight has recently tried to kill me off twice.
Can't wait to change it this Friday to the Tslim. No Dexcom offered yet but that may change in the future.
Very interested on all your comments re novo sluggish and humalog I have always struggled with the snail juice. Once have got settled in with new pump - will ask to move to humalog.
Thanks everyone and good luck

Herbie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All
Just caught up with this thread once more. My insight has recently tried to kill me off twice.
Can't wait to change it this Friday to the Tslim. No Dexcom offered yet but that may change in the future.
Very interested on all your comments re novo sluggish and humalog I have always struggled with the snail juice. Once have got settled in with new pump - will ask to move to humalog.
Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Reactions: Hopeful34

\Daf/

Hi All

I highly recommend the Tslim with the Dexcom, I’m self funding and it’s made a massive difference to my glucose levels, I have the Control IQ which controls the highs and lows so much better, I have Dawn syndrome at around 4 am and the pump sorts this out in sleep mode, my glucose level is…….level!allnight I run at 6.5 /6.1 absolutely amazing.

I was with the insight pump, but this bit of kit ( Tslim) is far better in every way, on the insight I was around 16% in range, the other day I was an amazing 99% in rage with the TSlim!!

Try the Dexcom it’s so worth it.

IMG_1662479291.156989.jpg

Paulbreen

Hi all,

My insight pump is getting chopped in due to the recall. The clinic have given me the options of the Medtronic 780g + guardian 4, tandem tslim + dex or possibly the ypsomed looping + dex.

I like the sound of the algorithm on the Medtronic as it learns the patterns, but I heard such bad things about the guardian 3 sensors, are the guardian 4 sensors actually better?
Can anyone tell me what the Medtronic steel canulas are called?

The tslim sounds a solid option and I already have a Dexcom so I know they work for me. The algorithm is reactive and doesn’t learn so I would say second best to the Medtronic in that respect, but still great.

The ypso I’m struggling to find info about. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and it seems quite basic? Does anyone know if it’s reactive or learns like the Medtronic? I’ve also seen suggestions that it was created for android first , does that mean iPhone users have to wait ages for software updates?

Any experiences and advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Naomi
TSlim all day long, if you get the control IQ one and dexcom, no effort required to keep yourself in the 95+% time in target, my range is 4.6 - 8.0 and I’m at 98% for the last 6 months

• Winner
Reactions: \Daf/ and Hopeful34