Type 2 Zero Carb Diet

BundyBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else, but a search has not found what I need.

I have been diagnosed T2 and my doctor has requested that I have a zero carb diet as I am highly reactive to carbs.

Is there a site/list of recipes that do not contain nuts that would be useful for creating zero carb meals?

Most low carb recopies have 8+g carbs per serving averaging around 20 g.

Thanks in advance

Rob

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is very extreme ! All veg contain some carbs so that would limit you to meat and fish. Even eggs and cheese have a small amount of carbs.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my doctor has requested that I have a zero carb diet

Wow, that's a new one! Most T2s on this forum tell of their doctors not supporting low carb, let alone suggesting zero carb!

Some on here have had success with a meat-and-water diet. Not sure if that would suit you? No real recipes required, just meat and a pan I would think.

Reactions: hankjam

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am surprised at a Doctor recommending a zero carb diet. May I ask if you are on any medications and what is your HbA1c, please?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe the doctor was not being precise with his/her language. Leaving out sugar and obvious high carb foods could be called zero by some people.

BundyBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am surprised at a Doctor recommending a zero carb diet. May I ask if you are on any medications and what is your HbA1c, please?

started on metformin XR 500
last HbA1c was
NGSP 7.4
IFCC 57

fasting Glucose on test day was 10
GTT was 27 after 2 hrs.

Since diet and tablets, fasting Glucose is between 7 and 9 each morning

BundyBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe the doctor was not being precise with his/her language. Leaving out sugar and obvious high carb foods could be called zero by some people.

Exact instructions were no sugar no carbs, but anything < 2 g per 100 seems to be ok. anything over 2 sends the bg up over 10 at the 2 hr test.

we were already on low gi, low sugar, low fat due to weight issue (normaly 110 kg but now down to 107 and falling slowly).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you

I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe they avoid all plant foods (everything that grows) and stick to meat, fish, eggs, and dairy.

There is no reason to avoid low carb solid fats. Butter is the best fat as far as glucose and insulin levels are concerned. Fat won't make you fat. It's carbs that make you fat. Hopefully Brunneria and Nocrbs4me will be along soon to help you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya @BundyBob and welcome. :D

I should check back with your doc and see what they actually meant, by 'no carbs'.

There are carbs in everything except meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, oils, and the fat on meat. There are v small amounts of carbs in some of those. And there are more carbs in veg, in fruit, and lots more in grains, starchy veg, and so on.

It is perfectly possible to eat what is known as a 'zero carb' diet, but that is basically nothing but meat, fish, eggs and water. Some people thrive on it. In fact, some people eat nothing but steak and water, and flourish.

But those are a very small minority, and I suspect that what your doc meant with his vague statement of 'no carbs' was that you should keep eating a range of foods, including veg, and some fruit, but cut out the major carbs; sugar, sweet fruit, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, pastries, etc. Probably worth checking it with him though, just for clarity.

For myself, yes, I aim for 'Zero Carb' at the moment, ever since I had a problem with Gutrot over Xmas that has left me with problems digesting veg. Probably best described as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, although that doesn't really express the full inconvenience!
Seems to have left me with problems eating anything fibrous, and since my blood glucose doesn't like anything carby, then I am (for the moment) left with meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, animal fats, a little yoghurt, and the odd piece of very dark chocolate.

I now feel great, and can happily continue indefinitely which is surprising, since I have always loved veg.
What I don't love is the consequences of eating veg.
Surprising how easy it is to stick to a restrictive diet with the correct motivation! ;)

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Exact instructions were no sugar no carbs, but anything < 2 g per 100 seems to be ok. anything over 2 sends the bg up over 10 at the 2 hr test.

we were already on low gi, low sugar, low fat due to weight issue (normaly 110 kg but now down to 107 and falling slowly).
The conundrum you are in is that it is very difficult to follow both a low fat and a low carb diet. You need to get energy from somewhere and protein is not the best source. Since diabetes essentially is an inability to process carbs properly, you're better of cutting the carbs, but not the fat. See: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

You'll need to unlearn the idea that fat is unhealthy.

I don't see a need for you to cut carbs to (almost) zero, although it works for me.