Zero Carbs

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Not yet.. have a brief holiday next week so will start when we get back..will keep you informed how its going and might pm you for some advice if that's ok?
Yes, that would be fine.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could imagine doing zero carbs as part of an elimination diet, but I can't imagine doing it longer term. Videos like the following are pretty convincing on the advantage of (especially) cruciferous veggies. Eliminating starchy veggies - for sure. Eliminating all veggies long term - for me personally, no can do.

Science geek warning - and very long too:

I can see some experimentation with broccoli sprouts/seeds coming up :)

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mep - at around 2hr10mins into the video, they discuss bladder health, so I thought you might be interested.

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mep - at around 2hr10mins into the video, they discuss bladder health, so I thought you might be interested.
thanks :) I watched and seems to be talking about bladder cancer prevention.

My bladder condition doesn't have a known cause to date, just theories of possible causes. That's why it's so hard to treat. So not sure what they're saying here has any significance. I pee a lot thanks to the condition. As for broccoli sprouts and seeds I avoid both as they upset my IBS. But diet does help my bladder condition, I've eliminated a fair bit. But unfortunately the options I'm left with aren't great for diabetes, etc. It's all trial and error though as it isn't just diet that affects it.

juliagc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise
Well when I eat I usually cook so can avoid most carbs.. just have green veg, salad and the occasional raspberries with nuts and scratchings as treats. Am toying with the idea of a meat and eggs only month for February with OMEOD fasting (one meal every other day). Will blog about it if I decide to do it..
Thanks for your postings, wow you have done such progress, I am 100 kg and need to drop about 35. I am new to the conversation and would like to know more about what you mean by fasting? thanks a lot

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your postings, wow you have done such progress, I am 100 kg and need to drop about 35. I am new to the conversation and would like to know more about what you mean by fasting? thanks a lot
Simply not eating anything.. I have tea and coffee, water but nothing solid. Maybe some cream and coconut oil in the coffee a sort of bullet proof coffee when feeling hungry.

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from @NoCrbs4Me does anyone else follow a zero carb diet.. I'm quite interested in whether following it makes weight loss easier. It would also remove some of the things that trigger me into over eating... some things like nuts and possibly pork scratchings..

Hi I started a zerocarb diet today, hope to lose 15 kilos. Thanks.

Reactions: Brunneria

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Just to be clear, a "zero carb" diet does not literally mean zero carbs. It means food from only the animal kingdom, with a few exceptions. Spices are ok, coffee/tea is ok. Bacon, even though it does contain a bit of sugar, is ok. Also, there's no guarantee you'll lose weight on it, especially if you were previously on a very low carb / high fat diet. Good luck!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to be clear, a "zero carb" diet does not literally mean zero carbs. It means food from only the animal kingdom, with a few exceptions. Spices are ok, coffee/tea is ok. Bacon, even though it does contain a bit of sugar, is ok. Also, there's no guarantee you'll lose weight on it, especially if you were previously on a very low carb / high fat diet. Good luck!

That certainly seems to be the case with me.. so far eating once or twice day zero carb I have been going up and down the same 3 pounds so I seem to have found a maintenance diet. Guess its back to fasting to get some more weight off..
Need to try my one meal every other day.. but thinking I will save that delight for March.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That certainly seems to be the case with me.. so far eating once or twice day zero carb I have been going up and down the same 3 pounds so I seem to have found a maintenance diet. Guess its back to fasting to get some more weight off..
Need to try my one meal every other day.. but thinking I will save that delight for March.
On the other hand, some people gain weight when the start zero carb, but eventually do lose weight after many months.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein and avocado make up most of my meals. Then dinner is a small handful of veggies. I do however need to keep protein moderate or I gain.

Too many veggies in any form mess with my gut. I ove them and eat them but not lots at a time.

Good luck BB and David!!

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, zerocarb is another term for avoiding foods that take you away from zerocarb scores. I am eating eggs, fatty meat, butter, ghee, lard for a few days with brocccoli/kale, for fibre and micronutrients.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, zerocarb is another term for avoiding foods that take you away from zerocarb scores. I am eating eggs, fatty meat, butter, ghee, lard for a few days with brocccoli/kale, for fibre and micronutrients.
No, "zero carb" means no plants. No need for fibre or any nutrients from plants.

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, "zero carb" means no plants. No need for fibre or any nutrients from plants.

You do take things very literally. Zero carb isn't an exact term, it merely implies keeping the carbs total very very low, good grief a few carbs is harmless. Ketosis is achieved optimally when carbs are under 20g per day.

Zerocarb doesn't need to be 0.0g. I do know a fair bit about low carb/zero carb diets..you know?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Isn't anything above zero and up to 20g called a ketogenic diet? JMHO but zero carbs is literally that - zero carbs. Much too hard for me to do but I admire anyone that is able to function without any carbs in their diet. The lowest I can manage is about 10g.

Reactions: davidzerocarber49

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You do take things very literally. Zero carb isn't an exact term, it merely implies keeping the carbs total very very low, good grief a few carbs is harmless. Ketosis is achieved optimally when carbs are under 20g per day.

Zerocarb doesn't need to be 0.0g. I do know a fair bit about low carb/zero carb diets..you know?
No I'm not taking "zero carb" literally, because there are carbs in some animal derived foods (e.g. eggs) and a zero carb diet can include some plant derived food, like coffee or the small amount of sugar that can be in bacon. I'm just telling you what the people who coined "zero carb" intended it to mean. Nor is a zero carb diet intended to be a ketogenic diet (i.e. making sure you eat mostly fat and checking your urine or blood for ketone levels). It just means virtually all the food you eat is animal derived and you don't eat things like fruit, vegetables, vegetable oil, flour, etc.

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, one egg 50g has 0.6g carbs, that's a negligble amount of carbs, spinach has 3.6g carbs per 100g, olive oil and butter have zero carbs, as do all meats, bacon per 8g slice has 0.1g carbs.
Zerocarb is just a title for a diet with food that contain negligible amounts of carbs, but I will omit the spinach and broccoli, and then it will be zerocarb...who enjoys spinach anyway?

davidzerocarber49

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't anything above zero and up to 20g called a ketogenic diet? JMHO but zero carbs is literally that - zero carbs. Much too hard for me to do but I admire anyone that is able to function without any carbs in their diet. The lowest I can manage is about 10g.

I am doing an precise zerocarb diet tomorrow(no veg, fruit, starchy carbs or eggs) and will see how my weight falls after 7 days. It's an experiment..zerocarbs from tomorrow....only meat.fish and natural fats.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ok, one egg 50g has 0.6g carbs, that's a negligble amount of carbs, spinach has 3.6g carbs per 100g, olive oil and butter have zero carbs, as do all meats, bacon per 8g slice has 0.1g carbs.
Zerocarb is just a title for a diet with food that contain negligible amounts of carbs, but I will omit the spinach and broccoli, and then it will be zerocarb...who enjoys spinach anyway?
Close. The important thing with zero carb is negligible amounts of plant based food, including plant derived oil/fat. Also, it's not a weight loss diet, although many people do lose weight. Eggs are ok on a zero carb diet. I don't live in California any more. :-(