Can a vegetarian/vegan diet be a problem?

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I was always mostly vegetarian until recently, I ate some tuna and salmon, but mostly ate veggie meals. Never been an issue. I had a HBA1C in September due to fatigue and it was 38, in December it was 40. I was going through a period of high stress as my son was ill. I was living off toast and oven chips as it knocked my whole appetite. Barely any fruit or veggies.

My GP was not concerned and said I am not diabetic and he will re test me annually just to check if that level comes back down.

I eat very healthy, plenty of fruit and veggies, I also have found out I have high cholesterol so have cut dairy right back, almost stopped it. I tried a LCHF diet for a week and introduced dairy products again and felt terrible so had to stop. I have chronic fatigue so the carb flu was not good for me.

I am now wanting to go back to eating veggie and keeping the dairy out of my diet like I used to. My cholesterol is very high and FH runs in my mums side. Diabetes is not in my family at all. I am 36, slim (116lbs) 5ft tall female. I do yoga and eat generally very well. That is why I am concerned about my HBA1C even though my GP is not. My husbands HBA1C is 36 and again his GP says it's fine and diabetes is on my husbands dads side right through.

If I eat veggie/vegan is this bad for HBA1C. Surely if I am not diabetic it isn't a problem, Does anyone else eat veggie and not find it a problem? do you still cut carbs down? I am trying to keep my carbs at 150g a day, and fats from avocados, flax seeds and olive oil.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Veggie/vegan food is a combination of macronutrients just like omnivorous food. It is how you balance your macros that matters for diabetes management. My hba1c was 63 on diagnosis. I cut the carbs and was in the non-diabetic range 3 months later. I have remained in the non-diabetic range for two years now on veggie food.

You mentioned on a different thread that you don't test. Be warned then that "fruit and veggies" are not a couple. They are two very different things when managing your blood glucose levels.

Carb flu is not dangerous, only temporary, so power through if you want to eat low carb. If you add some salt to your diet, this should ease the symptoms. (For any newbies reading: not everyone gets carb flu. I didn't)

Reactions: 2 people

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you.

I'm trying to cut my carbs slower this time starting at 150g. I dropped below 100 from 200g and felt very fatigued and ill but of course not everyone reacts this way. I am not trying to put anyone odd lchf it was just my experience. Also eating eggs and full fat dairy just didn't fit with me having high cholesterol that runs in our family.

I just know that a vegan diet can be quite carby eating grains and beans. Which I eat daily.

Thank you.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Ps yes I do watch how much fruit I eat. I tend to.eat berries at breakfast with my low carb oats and a banana once a day. That's usually it for fruit.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Perhaps if you increase your fat, this will help. Fat from oils, nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocados will not add dietary cholesterol as they are from plants. Dropping carbs means you are dropping calories which can make you feel weak. Calories from fats will not trouble your blood glucose levels and will give you energy.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Ps yes I do watch how much fruit I eat. I tend to.eat berries at breakfast with my low carb oats and a banana once a day. That's usually it for fruit.
I haven't touched oats since the day I was diagnosed. I had eaten them every day for years. You could be different of course and this is why most people here would recommend you get a meter and test your own tolerance.

Reactions: 3 people

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you.

I've eaten oats to help my cholesterol. I'm worried why if there is no diabetes in my family I can't just eat as I normally would. My gp says I can as 40 is non diabetic.

I'm just concerned about testing myself as I have anxiety as it is and I don't need another thing to obsess and worry about when I've 3 health issues I'm trying to cope with.
I haven't touched oats since the day I was diagnosed. I had eaten them every day for years. You could be different of course and this is why most people here would recommend you get a meter and test your own tolerance.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your hba1c seems to be in the entirely non diabetic range.
I would go back to your preferred diet for at least two weeks, ride out the ups and downs as your body readjusts, and review how you feel then.
There is little point in testing, as you don't seem to be having any problems.
(Your oats don't seem to have affected your hba1c either)

But stick to your diet, then you will probably feel fine, continue, then go back in three months for a cholesterol check, after everything has settled down again.

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

jingyd36

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you so much.

My gp says 40 is absolutely fine and next time could be back in the thirties. He's in no rush to re test me. It was 38 innseptember and he said it was normal. Under 42 he said is fine so no need to cut carbs and water heater my diet as he knows I eat a healthy diet. He only tested me due to having a dry mouth and fatigue. My fatigue has since been linked to hypothyroidism which showed on bloods. My dry mouth comes and goes. I can go weeks without it then it returns for a day or so. I'm not feeling the need to drink more or needing the toilet alot so my gp says he is not concerned at all.

My cholesterol he wants to test 9 months after my last test so it'll be around August time.
Your hba1c seems to be in the entirely non diabetic range.
I would go back to your preferred diet for at least two weeks, ride out the ups and downs as your body readjusts, and review how you feel then.
There is little point in testing, as you don't seem to be having any problems.

But stick to your diet, then you will probably feel fine, continue, then go back in three months for a cholesterol check, after everything has settled down again.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avoid the dairy for the time being, try at least two weeks without, then maybe reintroduce some.
You may be dairy/lactose intolerant.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nobody is suggesting that the "average" person should go down that road, just pointing out that saturated fat isn't bad for you. Most diabetics know this...but some don't.

Written by a GP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Chole...d=1459505580&sr=1-1&keywords=malcolm+kendrick

I suspect the op may prefer to listen to their own GP, and not a book from Amazon?
For the record, I actively avoid saturated fats for many reasons, and I doubt paying for a book from Amazon would convince me to see the 'error' of my ways either.
(But I have no desire to tell you to buy a book to show you are wrong, but I suspect there are some out there in the opposite camp as well)

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect the op may prefer to listen to their own GP, and not a book from Amazon?
For the record, I actively avoid saturated fats for many reasons, and I doubt paying for a book from Amazon would convince me to see the 'error' of my ways either.
(But I have no desire to tell you to buy a book to show you are wrong, but I suspect there are some out there in the opposite camp as well)

It is well known - read this forum - that the advice the NHS hands out on nutrition is out dated. They put the Fear of Fat into people and it is hard to convince them otherwise. Of course it is your body and you should fill it as you want but borrowing the book MIGHT be an eye opener. The MAJORITY of members know about fat and it's benefits. Unfortunately some are still waiting to be convinced.