Cheat day

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone ever have a day of pure indulgence of anything they want? I haven't yet since my diagnosis. I want to hear your thoughts and experiences and your BG afterwards!

Azure1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sore fingers from blood-testing. Always having to think about what you're eating
Does anyone ever have a day of pure indulgence of anything they want? I haven't yet since my diagnosis. I want to hear your thoughts and experiences and your BG afterwards!
I really try not to, but occasionally I have days when I could eat the house. Have a hunger that I can't seem to satisfy. Fortunately these days are rare!

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have a lot of ravenous days but when BS is stable I don't.
Cheat days are not worth it for me. Takes days to get things back on track. Even one cheat meal. I learned one bad meal equals 3 bad days and they weren't even indulgent meals. Just s little more or a few bites of something. I had to many and finally realized they aren't worth it. When I feel like it I remind myself it is just food. Then I will go buy myself something like sandals or a hand bag. There are plenty of other things to indulge on.

Reactions: 6 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did have a treat week over Christnas. My daily average rose 5 mmol/L over this week, but dropped back quite quickly when I re-started my normal regime. I occasionally allow myself a naughty meal on occasions, since 1 meal does not skew the weekly or monthly averages, Just looks bad on the graphs.LOL My carb cravings are getting less now, and I use higher fat to keep the growling tums at bay. Thus I have reduced my snacking very significantly, so don't need a cheat day.

Having said that, I have seen reports that long term LCHF loses its effectiveness, and needs a splurge of carbs to reset the system. Not sure if this is valid, but I will keep it in mind as a 'good excuse'.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why should I want a cheat day?? It would only encourage my body back into carb craving mode, :eek: and I certainly neither want or need that! I value my eyes, hands, and feet too much for that.

I found that I haven't actually needed to give up most of the healthy food I've always enjoyed, and I've been able to find low carb alternatives for much of the rest. So I reckon I have the best of both worlds.

Robbity

Reactions: 9 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't bring myself to do it to be honest - I work hard to keep my blood sugar under control and wouldn't voluntarily subject myself to food that would raise my blood sugar and make me feel ill.
I know some people have "time off" over Christmas but I've not done it for the 2 Christmases since I was diagnosed and it hasn't bothered me at all

Reactions: 7 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have planned small treats built into my food plan once in a while - I try to not call them treats they are just part of my plan that day. Don't get me wrong there are days when I could just eat anything and everything - but having a cheat day would actually make me so ****** and probably feel guilty that it wouldn't feel I was being indulgent - probably quite the opposite! - a cheat day - who would we be cheating really? Ourselves, the diabetes or our health?

There are lots of fab recipes in the recipe thread - if it's something sweet and indulgent your after there is some awsome cakes and stuff - there is no reason to feel deprived and neither should you - make your treats ones your body can cope with - you will feel better for it and no cheating to make you feel guilty:)

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you eat good, healthy diet that leaves you feeling satisfied in first place...then the need and urge for those indulge days are numbered....they really are! I know I sound boring old fart...but that's how I see it..;):D
Like others...treat days I don't really need nor want them..getting body and blood sugar levels back in order after such events is so much hard work and takes lot out of you. Couple weeks ago I had to had 3 days carb binge to correct my system from some issues ....and I'm only just getting my blood sugars into normal level again! And even now they are not constantly there:grumpy: So no way I'll be repeating it again in a hurry, not unless I have to. I don't think there is such a temptation that would lure me going through this again.
BUT...I have my teeny bits of 'something nice' here and there...as and when I feel like it...testing my blood to see that it doesn't have negative effect and I'm quite happy with that.
I'm not tea-total...near enough, but yesterday I just fancied little bit wine...so I had teeny bit..and then I had square of high coco content chocolate with coffee later on...and it was just enough. I had given myself what I had urge for but kept it in small quantity. The feeling would have been totally out of my mind..but I only thinking of it because writing my reply..but I don't have urge to repeat it again in a hurry. It was a case of 'right medicine in right quantity in right time'...sorted!;)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Cheat days are not worth it for me. Takes days to get things back on track. Even one cheat meal. I learned one bad meal equals 3 bad days and they weren't even indulgent meals. Just s little more or a few bites of something. I had to many and finally realized they aren't worth it. When I feel like it I remind myself it is just food. Then I will go buy myself something like sandals or a hand bag. There are plenty of other things to indulge on.

That's a good excuse to tell my husband when I take home another pair of shoes or a new dress (as planned today!).

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really try not to, but occasionally I have days when I could eat the house. Have a hunger that I can't seem to satisfy. Fortunately these days are rare!

I agree! Only for special occasions but I still follow a LCHF diet even when I go out. The only time I would consume some carbs would be some brown rice or wholemeal bread and that's probably it! And I'd still feel guilty about it afterwards

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really have ravenous days I think Metformin stops that. I never did much sugar stuff or high starchy carbs no rice pasta pizza and very low on potatoes and bread before diabetes if I wanted something sweet I had some fruit. I am much the same now as my diet has not changed a lot since before T2 just less fruit these days so yes a clementine or nectarine is a treat I enjoy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I still need to balance all meals as closely as possible for insulin and bs timing. If I'm off and bs fluctuates info get ravenous even without carbs. Too much protein or fat can do that. For me it's a matter of keeping bs steady or I get the hungries. That's why a cheat meal isn't worth it. It takes time to bring bs down and keep it down and it feels lousy on the way. Too long of a price. The one thing I might do (but haven't yet in 2 years ) is a chocolate covered strawberry. I also know they raise me quite a bit so maybe someday just a half.
Keeping bs steady, very steady is paramount to I how I feel. And as someone else mentioned i would feel guilty and keep testing so that takes the fun out of it

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I agree with you! These days are rare but there are just some days that the frustration of diabetes gets to your head! I try to push out the thoughts with a LCHF meal and just focus on what's on the plate to avoid these cravings.

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I see! I guess it's also a self endurance thing and how you feel afterwards. I feel incredibly bad sometimes when I eat a wholemeal sandwich even if my BG doesn't spike to a high extent. And when I feel bad I just run back to the good old LCHF diet to ease everything up. Ahaha!

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did have a treat week over Christnas. My daily average rose 5 mmol/L over this week, but dropped back quite quickly when I re-started my normal regime. I occasionally allow myself a naughty meal on occasions, since 1 meal does not skew the weekly or monthly averages, Just looks bad on the graphs.LOL My carb cravings are getting less now, and I use higher fat to keep the growling tums at bay. Thus I have reduced my snacking very significantly, so don't need a cheat day.

Having said that, I have seen reports that long term LCHF loses its effectiveness, and needs a splurge of carbs to reset the system. Not sure if this is valid, but I will keep it in mind as a 'good excuse'.

I just had a simple roast for last Christmas and does it? I guess the body just needs those dangerous carbs once in a full moon.

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why should I want a cheat day?? It would only encourage my body back into carb craving mode, :eek: and I certainly neither want or need that! I value my eyes, hands, and feet too much for that.

I found that I haven't actually needed to give up most of the healthy food I've always enjoyed, and I've been able to find low carb alternatives for much of the rest. So I reckon I have the best of both worlds.

Robbity

Hello Robbity. I wish I had your mindset and endurance but it's just that response of the brain that craves the bad carbs! I don't find myself running towards them still; but I think about it a lot with a lot of jealousy that goes along with it! And yes, I'll try to find some low carb alternatives to the once favourite foods as well! Good luck :)

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't bring myself to do it to be honest - I work hard to keep my blood sugar under control and wouldn't voluntarily subject myself to food that would raise my blood sugar and make me feel ill.
I know some people have "time off" over Christmas but I've not done it for the 2 Christmases since I was diagnosed and it hasn't bothered me at all

Me neither! I say I would but I never end up doing it. I just really look at it and look at those carb heavy meals with envy when my friends order it!

And good job. Last Christmas I had no time off either. And none ever since then. Keep going! Your motivation motivates me :)

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have planned small treats built into my food plan once in a while - I try to not call them treats they are just part of my plan that day. Don't get me wrong there are days when I could just eat anything and everything - but having a cheat day would actually make me so ****** and probably feel guilty that it wouldn't feel I was being indulgent - probably quite the opposite! - a cheat day - who would we be cheating really? Ourselves, the diabetes or our health?

There are lots of fab recipes in the recipe thread - if it's something sweet and indulgent your after there is some awsome cakes and stuff - there is no reason to feel deprived and neither should you - make your treats ones your body can cope with - you will feel better for it and no cheating to make you feel guilty:)

You're absolutely right! No reason to deprive your body; it's just you need a strong mindset to get back on the tracks right away after one small indulgence. I guess that builds up over time

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you eat good, healthy diet that leaves you feeling satisfied in first place...then the need and urge for those indulge days are numbered....they really are! I know I sound boring old fart...but that's how I see it..;):D
Like others...treat days I don't really need nor want them..getting body and blood sugar levels back in order after such events is so much hard work and takes lot out of you. Couple weeks ago I had to had 3 days carb binge to correct my system from some issues ....and I'm only just getting my blood sugars into normal level again! And even now they are not constantly there:grumpy: So no way I'll be repeating it again in a hurry, not unless I have to. I don't think there is such a temptation that would lure me going through this again.
BUT...I have my teeny bits of 'something nice' here and there...as and when I feel like it...testing my blood to see that it doesn't have negative effect and I'm quite happy with that.
I'm not tea-total...near enough, but yesterday I just fancied little bit wine...so I had teeny bit..and then I had square of high coco content chocolate with coffee later on...and it was just enough. I had given myself what I had urge for but kept it in small quantity. The feeling would have been totally out of my mind..but I only thinking of it because writing my reply..but I don't have urge to repeat it again in a hurry. It was a case of 'right medicine in right quantity in right time'...sorted!;)

That's so interesting and who can resist some chocolate and coffee, right? I guess those guilty feelings push people back onto track after small indulgences but it feels incredibly uncomfortable since overthinking sucks. So guilt is a good and bad thing I guess!

annalaix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still need to balance all meals as closely as possible for insulin and bs timing. If I'm off and bs fluctuates info get ravenous even without carbs. Too much protein or fat can do that. For me it's a matter of keeping bs steady or I get the hungries. That's why a cheat meal isn't worth it. It takes time to bring bs down and keep it down and it feels lousy on the way. Too long of a price. The one thing I might do (but haven't yet in 2 years ) is a chocolate covered strawberry. I also know they raise me quite a bit so maybe someday just a half.
Keeping bs steady, very steady is paramount to I how I feel. And as someone else mentioned i would feel guilty and keep testing so that takes the fun out of it

I see, and thank you for sharing your view! I hope that things work out for you. Some fruit to satisfy that sweet craving isn't bad either! Berries are low in sugar as well, so I wouldn't worry a whole lot.. Especially if you use dark chocolate to coat them. Less effect on the BG of you do so and some health benefits. Bonus!