New bread by Hovis

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have just seen this new bread which is lower carb.

Has anyone else seen it?

A bit pricey as im used to a bigger loaf for less.
1bcceb5f5223aef666b91ce2a323f989.jpg

Steve

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Do you have a picture of the nutrition information for 100 grams?
Including the carbohydrates and "of which sugars"?

I am always a bit wary of anything which says "lower" because this isn't the same as "low". Just (a bit?) lower than whatever they choose for a comparison.

Edit: just looked it up. 27.2 grams of carbs of which 2.9 grams sugars.

9.9 grams per 36 gram slice so a sandwich would be 19.8 grams from 72 grams of bread.

Not horribly bad, but I think I will stick with the Lidl rolls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

Sue_Cyprus_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Steve I have tried this bread it's tasty though I do agree a bit pricey.I did test to see if it makes my numbers rise it's ok for me.

Reactions: steveis36
O

oh_dear_me

Yes I've tried it and testing after I seemed to be ok. It was pretty good actually and jolly nice to have a slice of toast to dip into my boiled egg! I also like Livlife bread which I can sometimes find in Waitrose but the best for me still seems to be Lidl protein rolls.

Sue_Cyprus_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree Hovis bread is very nice with eggs.I also like Lidl protein rolls nice toasted with cheese on top.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
9.9g carbs
1.1g sugars
I think ive read it right
It dosent seem to spike my bloods to much either and i had 4 slices.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morrisons high protein loaf is lower at 8 grams per slice. I compared both loaves a couple of months ago.

i

Reactions: steveis36

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant bear the texture of seeded bread. or granary, with all those little bits of gritty stuff = yeuk.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant bear the texture of seeded bread. or granary, with all those little bits of gritty stuff = yeuk.
The Morrisons one is a "smooth" bread - no seeds or grit and for me it's the one that tastes most like bread - I don't mind the odd seed but loath they lidl rolls because of the seeds - I also find the overall texture very cakey

Reactions: lucylocket61

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I agree Hovis bread is very nice with eggs.I also like Lidl protein rolls nice toasted with cheese on top.[/QUOTE
Unfortunately much of the low carb bread is seeded which is a "no go" for those of us who suffer from diverticulitis. Does anyone know of any good bread which is low carbs without the "bits"?? LOL

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It spiked my sugars
I use Hi lo bread which at 5g carbs a slice is half the Hovis one and doesnt spike me, the Livelife bread is also ok for my sugars although Im not so keen on the texture of that compared with the Hi lo which I can get at Ocado or Sainsburys
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKnyzfW40tcCFcOxUQodrsIO-g
Ooo I like the look of this one! I like the Lidl triangle, but it would be nice to have a square for a change! Does it freeze well do you know?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooo I like the look of this one! I like the Lidl triangle, but it would be nice to have a square for a change! Does it freeze well do you know?
Yes freezes perfectly

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of these loaves seem to achieve the low carbs per slice by just having very small slices. They don't tempt me away from Burgen Soya and Linseed bread which has proper man-sized 44g slices with 11.8g of carb per slice.

Reactions: JeanCL