What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all mixed day
Good results though from my private tests I sent blood for yesterday- I added insulin resitance for 9 quid and no extra blood needed and amazing result see link below - you’ll need to scroll down from link below I’ve added to bulkbikers thread
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/insulin-resistance.157426/#post-1916472
I panicked a bit when saw my cholesterol had gone up but then realised it was because my HLD had gone up even more and my LDL down a smidge! Ratios even better so think nothing to worry about unless HDL of 3.58 is a worry! My trigs HDL ratio is now only 0.27 so almost halved from August’s excellent result!
Also mum has got her pre operative assessment date and it’s this Saturday! As it’s my cousins funeral on Friday morning it’s back on the M1 tomorrow up to York’s back home on Sunday! So hadlotsof stuff to sort today!
Breakfast usual one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch cheese and nuts
Dinner pork casserole, cauliflower cheese and buttered mushrooms with stress relief glass red wine - difficult caring related afternoon - maybe coffee and halo top later?

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all mixed day
Good results though from my yesterdays private tests I did yesterday- I added insulin resitance for 9 quid and no extra blood needed and amazing result see you’ll need to scroll down from link below I’ve added to bulkbikers thread
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/insulin-resistance.157426/#post-1916472
I panicked a bit when saw my cholesterol had gone up but then realised it was because my HLD had gone up even more and my LDL down a smidge! Ratios even better so think nothing to worry about unless HDL of 3.58 is a worry! My trigs HDL ratio is now only 0.27 so almost halved from August’s excellent result!
Also mum has got her pre operative assessment date and it’s this Saturday! As it’s my cousins funeral on Friday morning it’s back on the M1 tomorrow up to York’s back on Sunday! So hadlotsof stuff to sort today!
Lunch cheese and nuts
Dinner pork casserole, cauliflower cheese and buttered mushrooms with stress relief glass red wine - difficult caring related afternoon - maybe coffee and halo top later?
Great news about the cholesterol and insulin resistance. May not balance the sadness of Friday or stress of caring but without those as leavening agents things would obviously have been worse.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all mixed day
Good results though from my private tests I sent blood for yesterday- I added insulin resitance for 9 quid and no extra blood needed and amazing result see link below - you’ll need to scroll down from link below I’ve added to bulkbikers thread
Also mum has got her pre operative assessment date and it’s this Saturday! As it’s my cousins funeral on Friday morning it’s back on the M1 tomorrow up to York’s back on Sunday! So hadlotsof stuff to sort today!
Lunch cheese and nuts
Well done on your results lovely lady, nothing more than you deserve, you are an amazing example to us all xx

Reactions: ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, mixed day weather wise and lots of boring typing up of assessments at work.
I was good until an unplanned end of the day, details below, I think I was easily swayed as despite low carb day numbers haven’t reflected this so felt a bit down.
Coffee with cream on waking
B sliced roast pork and cheese
L baked eggs with tomato and mozzarella, 25g mixed nuts
Coffee with cream hen I got home
Planned to cook pork steaks with kale ended up with sweet and sour chicken from the Chinese takeaway served with my own cauliflower rice, no doubt I will see a number I don’t recognise later but tomorrow is another day and a chance to hit the restart button

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, mixed day weather wise and lots of boring typing up of assessments at work.
I was good until an unplanned end of the day, details below, I think I was easily swayed as despite low carb day numbers haven’t reflected this so felt a bit down.
Coffee with cream on waking
B sliced roast pork and cheese
L baked eggs with tomato and mozzarella, 25g mixed nuts
Coffee with cream hen I got home
Planned to cook pork steaks with kale ended up with sweet and sour chicken from the Chinese takeaway served with my own cauliflower rice, no doubt I will see a number I don’t recognise later but tomorrow is another day and a chance to hit the restart button
We all get those low moments and especially when bgs don’t reflect our hard work. Sending you a hug. Don’t test today and possibly tomorrow take the pressure off and just quietly get back to eating low carb like you usually do. Reality is that it is probably work related stress that has caused the higher numbers not what you’ve eaten. It’s nearly always the case for me ie stress not food but the stress added to with higher bg results makes you resort to old stress relieving habits usually certain sugar laden foods that give you a temporary boost. It happens just wave it goodbye and start again. Meanwhile look at stress management. Take care Jayney we are all human

Reactions: Brunneria and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chorizo and Gouda rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and strawberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: salmon steaks with creamy peppercorn sauce, mixed veg and butternut squash chips followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all get those low moments and especially when bgs don’t reflect our hard work. Sending you a hug. Don’t test today and possibly tomorrow take the pressure off and just quietly get back to eating low carb like you usually do. Reality is that it is probably work related stress that has caused the higher numbers not what you’ve eaten. It’s nearly always the case for me ie stress not food but the stress added to with higher bg results makes you resort to old stress relieving habits usually certain sugar laden foods that give you a temporary boost. It happens just wave it goodbye and start again. Meanwhile look at stress management. Take care Jayney we are all human
Bless you for your kind and wise words, I think you are right the last 2 days have been a bit unsettling at work, a very challenging colleague who I have to go away with for 3 days next week has been quite difficult. I think also having had such a lovely holiday where I relaxed food choices a little and it didn’t cause any major problems has also made it difficult to accept that now I’m being sensible and eating well it’s not reflected.
Tomorrow will be a fresh start x

Reactions: DJC3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Busy day at work yesterday, left early and returned late. Today, I spent much of the day outside, it was sunny in the beginning, but turned cloudy and rainy later on. Still a very nice, fun, and relaxing day.

@jayney27 -- Sorry to hear about the stress at work, hope you have some better days ahead of you.
@shelley262 -- Congrats on your insulin resistance and blood lipid results. Absolutely brilliant.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Boeuf bourguignon and cauliflower mash with cream, butter and cheddar.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Two squares of 85% chocolate, some pecans, and a small slice of carrot cake.

Late dinner: Chicken livers in a pastis-tarragon-cream sauce. A glass of red wine.

Today:

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Beouf bourguignon with cauliflower mash.

Dinner: (Out at the French tapas place) Almost a whole serving of sweet potato fries (not huge though as meant to just be a tapa) with tomato aioli. One and half glasses of wine.

Later at home: A bowl of chicken-vegetable soup (chicken, duck breast, bellpepper, mushrooms, celery, fennel, onion, bean sprouts, pumpkin, snow peas, red curry paste, chicken broth, and coconut milk). Another glass of red wine.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Busy day at work yesterday, left early and returned late. Today, I spent much of the day outside, it was sunny in the beginning, but turned cloudy and rainy later on. Still a very nice, fun, and relaxing day.

@jayney27 -- Sorry to hear about the stress at work, hope you have some better days ahead of you.
@shelley262 -- Congrats on your insulin resistance and blood lipid results. Absolutely brilliant.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Boeuf bourguignon and cauliflower mash with cream, butter and cheddar.

Snack: Two squares of 85% chocolate, some pecans, and a small slice of carrot cake.

Late dinner: Chicken livers in a pastis-tarragon-cream sauce. A glass of red wine.

Today:

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Beouf bourguignon with cauliflower mash.

Dinner: (Out at the French tapas place) Almost a whole serving of sweet potato fries (not huge though as meant to just be a tapa) with tomato aioli. One and half glasses of wine.

Later at home: A bowl of chicken-vegetable soup (chicken, duck breast, bellpepper, mushrooms, celery, fennel, onion, bean sprouts, pumpkin, snow peas, red curry paste, chicken broth, and coconut milk). Another glass of red wine.
Thank you I hope so too x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Not very hungry when I woke up so decided to wait until evening meal before eating properly.

Several teas, coffees and some chicken broth at lunchtime.

D: Eldest daughter invited us round for dinner - DD chicken and cauliflower curry ( bless her)green salad with a local cheese to follow. Glass of champagne to start and 2 glasses of red during. Cracking!

@jayney27 I really feel for you, it’s so disheartening when you’ve done all the right things and yet it doesn’t show in your bgs. You have a brilliant attitude though, tomorrow really is another day and we know this is not a quick fix. @shelley262 ‘s advice is great - forget it and maybe don’t test for a day to give yourself a bit of time. The workplace stress is bound to have a big effect. Sending a hug your way.

@ianpspurs your DD breakfast sandwich sounds good except for the mackerel! I like it with a salad ( used to like it on toast) but not sure I’d enjoy it in your combo. Glad it hit the spot for you though.

@Kingmidas the alpaca walk sounds a lovely way to spend a day - Ernie is adorable.

@shelley262 what great results truly inspirational. You’ve got such a busy and emotional time coming up. Don’t forget the mindfulness, I know you’ve said that stress affects your bgs a lot and this does seem like a particularly stressful time for you. Sending a hug to you too.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: more pumpkin bread & butter; hazelnut mock mocha with hazelnut milk

Lunch: Smoked salmon. cream cheese with dill and baby cucumbers; Halo Top vanilla with a few Blackforest berries (including a huge blackberry); mint tea.

Dinner: bream baked with pesto and pine nut topping; petit pois and baby leek cooked in butter and lemon juice with the dregs of the pesto; pumpkin purée and bread; lemongrass & ginger tea

Lime juice flavoured water; 2-3 pieces of Lindt choc.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Not very hungry when I woke up so decided to wait until evening meal before eating properly.

Several teas, coffees and some chicken broth at lunchtime.

D: Eldest daughter invited us round for dinner - DD chicken and cauliflower curry ( bless her)green salad with a local cheese to follow. Glass of champagne to start and 2 glasses of red during. Cracking!

@jayney27 I really feel for you, it’s so disheartening when you’ve done all the right things and yet it doesn’t show in your bgs. You have a brilliant attitude though, tomorrow really is another day and we know this is not a quick fix. @shelley262 ‘s advice is great - forget it and maybe don’t test for a day to give yourself a bit of time. The workplace stress is bound to have a big effect. Sending a hug your way.

@ianpspurs your DD breakfast sandwich sounds good except for the mackerel! I like it with a salad ( used to like it on toast) but not sure I’d enjoy it in your combo. Glad it hit the spot for you though.

@Kingmidas the alpaca walk sounds a lovely way to spend a day - Ernie is adorable.

@shelley262 what great results truly inspirational. You’ve got such a busy and emotional time coming up. Don’t forget the mindfulness, I know you’ve said that stress affects your bgs a lot and this does seem like a particularly stressful time for you. Sending a hug to you too.
Thank you for your kind words and the hug, I do think its the stress more than diet related. I am usually quite good at letting things go over my head and am quite good at applying mindfulness when situations are a bit tense but this is very different, I find the colleague in question very difficult to tolerate, next week is going to be a massive challenge!!

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your kind words and the hug, I do think its the stress more than diet related. I am usually quite good at letting things go over my head and am quite good at applying mindfulness when situations are a bit tense but this is very different, I find the colleague in question very difficult to tolerate, next week is going to be a massive challenge!!

I remember such a colleague. In the end the very sound of her voice would make me tense and my heart beat faster. Good luck with her next week.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So much of today was like being in a play or novel written for and starring me with the express intention of delighting me. Large parts of the day were fuelled by tea and endorphins and I loved it.
Then there was the anguish over what to eat or drink, the anticipation of the 3 or 4 drops of blood and the numbers on a meter which quite literally sucked all the joy out of the world.
Breakfast: - Lots of tea -initial burst of 2x1.5 pints Orange Pekoe; 2 pint top up of Assam with girlies; used the better coffee machine and milk frother toy to make a latte thing in between (Soya milk)- pleased with myself for using the toys
Dockey : Tea
Lunch : Tea then 75 mins cutting lawns
Mid Afternoon: Tea then hr dog walk
Evening meal: Avocado and Mackerel salad with heap plenty chia seeds
There is so much to ponder on here and lessons to learn.
@ziggy_w is Martinstag a thing in your area/past - I know the date will be Sunday but I bought our Goose today (part of the delights)

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings from Yorkshire where I am currently applying vicks vapour rub to my nose after reading it fends off viruses! My mum has a stinking cold and chesty cough - clearly I’m worried about her but also selfishly thinking it may make the pre operative assessment due on Saturday not possible! In which case we’d have to come up again ....... oh that she lived around the corner from us.
I’m also wondering if we will make my cousins 10am funeral in the morning as mum may need drs appt which nowadays doesn’t mean a planned appointment but waiting by the telephone for dr to eventually ring back and decide if an appointment is needed! As she’s asthmatic we need to play safe.
We also had a lousy journey up lots of torrential rain and traffic. Still we are here safe that’s what counts.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch rollitos picnic
Dinner two lamb chops on mushrooms with red wine followed by jelly and cream.
Will see what tomorrow brings

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings from Yorkshire where I am currently applying vicks vapour rub to my nose after reading it fends off viruses! My mum has a stinking cold and chesty cough - clearly I’m worried about her but also selfishly thinking it may make the pre operative assessment due on Saturday not possible! In which case we’d have to come up again ....... oh that she lived around the corner from us.
I’m also wondering if we will make my cousins 10am funeral in the morning as mum may need drs appt which nowadays doesn’t mean a planned appointment but waiting by the telephone for dr to eventually ring back and decide if an appointment is needed! As she’s asthmatic we need to play safe.
We also had a lousy journey up lots of torrential rain and traffic. Still we are here safe that’s what counts.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch rollitos picnic
Dinner two lamb chops on mushrooms with red wine followed by jelly and cream.
Will see what tomorrow brings
Absolutely no idea what I can say to all that except offer a virtual hug and be absolutely certain there is no one more resilient and better able to come through intact and with best outcomes.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: steak stew and mixed veggies followed by Greek yoghurt and strawberries.
Mid afternoon: peach chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette with cauliflower, celery and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Hug to you @shelley262 it must have been a horrible journey, and now your poor mum is ill. I hope you manage to make to funeral and her pre op assessment.
Hug for you too @ianpspurs as you sound a bit down so I think you could do with one.
B: 2 rashers and a scrambled egg. Coffee and cream
L:Butcher’s shop roast beef with h/m coleslaw a gherkin and 2 cherry toms. Coffee and cream
D: IP chilli with spinach. Very small glass of red.
This wasn’t what I’d intended for dinner but we ended up with extra mouths in the shape of 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters so the 2 chicken breasts I’d got earlier had to be shoved back in the fridge.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for those who’s Thursday has been a bit rubbish.

Reactions: ziggy_w