Insulin Resistance

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a blood draw for my HbA1c and Cholesterol tests yesterday so thought I'd invest in a medichecks insulin resistance test as well.
The phlebotomist did the blood draw and happily filled the medichecks vials alongside the NHS ones.
I toddled off to the post box and posted them yesterday at 11.30 a.m.
Just got an e-mail form medichecks with the results!
Fasting Blood Glucose 4.85 mmol/l
Fasting Insulin 5.47 mIU/l
Which gives me insulin resistance of 1.06 (still not exactly sure how to calculate this) the "healthy" range is 0-1.0 so mine is very slightly high which led the medichecks doctor to write

"You have a marginally increased fasting insulin resistance index.

This could be an early indication that your body is beginning to struggle to metabolise glucose (sugar) correctly. However as the rest of your diabetes screen is completely normal, this result is unlikely to a cause for concern."

So looks like I'm ok for the time being!

Interestingly I took a finger prick test just after the nurse drew the blood and got a 5.9 mmol/l so it looks like my SD codefree reads a bit high which as I am usually under 6 on that is quite re-assuring...

No results as yet from the NHS. Will update signature when they arrive..

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had a blood draw for my HbA1c and Cholesterol tests yesterday so thought I'd invest in a medichecks insulin resistance test as well.
The phlebotomist did the blood draw and happily filled the medichecks vials alongside the NHS ones.
Which gives me insulin resistance of 1.06 (still not exactly sure how to calculate this) the "healthy" range is 0-1.0 so mine is very slightly high which led the medichecks doctor to write

This could be an early indication that your body is beginning to struggle to metabolise glucose (sugar) correctly. However as the rest of your diabetes screen is completely normal, this result is unlikely to a cause for concern."

Interestingly I took a finger prick test just after the nurse drew the blood and got a 5.9 mmol/l so it looks like my SD codefree reads a bit high which as I am usually under 6 on that is quite re-assuring...

That's very encouraging. I wonder what the standard insulin resistance is upon diagnosis?
Be great if there was a reliable and convenient method of testing insulin resistance like Joseph Kraft did to show up those who are likely to become diabetic in the future though I imagine this would just result in much more metformin being handed out rather than diet advice of the kind that you've clearly followed to get yourself back to near normal!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's very encouraging. I wonder what the standard insulin resistance is upon diagnosis?
Be great if there was a reliable and convenient method of testing insulin resistance like Joseph Kraft did to show up those who are likely to become diabetic in the future though I imagine this would just result in much more metformin being handed out rather than diet advice of the kind that you've clearly followed to get yourself back to near normal!
Unfortunately I didn't have an insulin test done until 2 years in so I have no idea what it would have been.. a lot higher I guess..

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Sounds promising @bulkbiker would have been interesting to see what it was like when first diagnosed. Good luck with your other blood tests mine are due on Thursday.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Excellent result Des. I think you can ignore the .06 and class that as in the healthy range. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent result Des. I think you can ignore the .06 and class that as in the healthy range. :)
Many thanks Daf.. seems that the ranges have some variation as do the calculations.. I put my results in two diff calculators and got results of 0.71 and 1.2.... o_O

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks Daf.. seems that the ranges have some variation as do the calculations.. I put my results in two diff calculators and got results of 0.71 and 1.2.... o_O

A bit like other calculators! Still, your insulin level was very good. It could have been swishing about a bit due to trying to counteract any itsy witsy liver dumps.

Reactions: Juliarolo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit like other calculators! Still, your insulin level was very good. It could have been swishing about a bit due to trying to counteract any itsy witsy liver dumps.
Yeah its odd the three tests I have had I got 3.41 in Aug 2017 then 7.85 Oct 2017 then this last one of 5.47. All over the blomin place.. I'm guessing that like blood sugar and cholesterol its a volatile and possibly more volatile than glucose itself as its responding to many different inputs.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
"……………..

For a person diagnosed with T2DM to get that statement I have underlined is awesome in my opinion.
You have halted and reversed IR to an extent that you are being told "This could be an early indication that your body is beginning to struggle to metabolise glucose (sugar) correctly."
Wow. Keto and IF is the way to go.
Thank you for your post.
You have encouraged me in no small terms.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I now know of two places with magic machines to test insulin levels, without a lab. Now I just have to wangle a test at one of them!

(Work in progress, as ever. :) )

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For a person diagnosed with T2DM to get that statement I have underlined is awesome in my opinion.
You have halted and reversed IR to an extent that you are being told "This could be an early indication that your body is beginning to struggle to metabolise glucose (sugar) correctly."
Wow. Keto and IF is the way to go.
Thank you for your post.
You have encouraged me in no small terms.
I hope I can be a bit of help.. that's why I spend so much time here!

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One place is a research centre where I have some involvement and the other I couldn't actually say.
There I was feeling all elated, that I am about to get info, that's going to help me score affordable tests.
Oh well...that's life I s'pose. :bigtears:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There I was feeling all elated, that I am about to get info, that's going to help me score affordable tests.
Oh well...that's life I s'pose. :bigtears:

I don't believe tests will be offered to the general public, on a commercial basis, in either environment, so it would be no benefit anyway.

I think what is interesting is that researchers and the like are becoming interested in insulin levels, rather than the total focus on blood glucose.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
379459A1-E785-4796-A38B-345F8FC4D01C.png
B086F4AF-62B4-4A05-871C-C6C646C995FE.png
B086F4AF-62B4-4A05-871C-C6C646C995FE.png
@bulkbiker hope you don’t mind me adding this to your thread but thought it would be best here rather than a new thread. I did a private Thriva cholesterol test which I’ll add to my cholesterol story - basically my cholesterol total has gone up but it is all HDL my LDL has gone down a bit - but they offered an insulin resistance test as an extra for £9 so decided to do so so adding images of my results above.
I understand my current insulin resistance is very low but wonder what it means would it be like this because I’m still eating lowcarb which clearly has normalised my ir but presume it would go up with introduction of carbs not that I’m planning to but an interesting result
@Goonergal @DJC3 @Rachox @Debandez @jayney27 thought you may be interested in this test and result.
@brassyblonde900 i did my blood collection for Thriva test as normal - just a small amount that I find easy to do with the same amount as do for cholesterol result so happy with this.ive now done this three times to monitor my high cholesterol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shelley262
Interestingly my fasting insulin is given in mIU/L and mine was 5.47 will have to look up a conversion to see how we compare.