What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 lots of challenges but hopefully lots of fun too - do hope you get your car sorted. You are doing so wel
I truly am doing well, and I still can't quite believe it.
I keep expecting to wake up to my usual feeling of waking up and having to do life like walking through thick syrup, but it doesn't seem to happen, long may it last!

Not much to tell on the food front, looks to be a 2-mad day. First part was a slice of LC bread with lots of butter, cheese and marmite at work, second part will be midnight snacks of chicory and hummus and pork scratchings with aioli.
Evening meal didn't happen, neighbour and I had to find the cause of the electricity being off in part of the house after work, followed by beer.
No sharing a bed, although I'd have liked to. It's complicated but it's also fine, a very good long hug has been had. :)

I also hope I'll get my car sorted, but no panic short term. With my neighbour now having a work van, at least during week days I have unlimited use of his car.
To be honest, I'm most worried about my trip to the UK early october, I'll need a car for that.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love to have some more theoretical knowledge. Like you said, when using a second language, knowing the rules can make up for some of not having grown up with it.
Undoubtedly the case @Antje77, but it's importance varies somewhat depending on the language itself. For instance, it would be difficult to speak the German language well without knowing the rules; thanks to the weird word order (unique among germanic languages) and all the adjectival word endings. I suppose you could omit the adjectives, but it would sound like baby talk!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've learnt from talking to fellow buskers in Amsterdam when I was young,
The looking forward taking precedence over anxiety is very much a new thing for me. :happy:

I'll keep you updated, but I can't promise my adventures are fitting in the low carb forum...
You went busking when you were young @Antje77? What musical instrument(s) did you play?
Sounds as though you have an adventurous weekend ahead. Have fun, take care and look after yourself.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MrsA2 what a lovely guest to bring a whole Yarg! The garlic version is wrapped in wild garlic leaves rather than nettles so the flavour is quite mild but delicious.

We have come away for a few days to our favourite Cornish hotel on the coast, we can hear the wind howling around us but are cosy inside with a brandy and coffee.
B- at home, finishing off fridge leftovers, a ham and Brie sandwich in lc bread then the last spoonful of yoghurt.
L- arrived early afternoon had coffee and a DGF peanut butter egg
D- moules mariniere then red mullet with a dressing of capers, orange and parsley. Kale replaced the potatoes as requested. They’ve been very accommodating. ( I’d eaten quite a bit before I took the photo)View attachment 67048
Wow! That red mullet looks delish @DJC3!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Thursday:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Walnut and mushroom nut roast made with onions, eggs and flax 'egg', (no breadcrumbs) garlic, vegetable stock and rosemary.
Vegetarian gravy
Steamed purple sprouting broccoli smothered with butter.
Carrots cut on the diagonal, onions and apple peel sautéed in butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with mussels and brown shrimps, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, flat-leaf parsley and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Undoubtedly the case @Antje77, but it's importance varies somewhat depending on the language itself. For instance, it would be difficult to speak the German language well without knowing the rules; thanks to the weird word order (unique among germanic languages) and all the adjectival word endings. I suppose you could omit the adjectives, but it would sound like baby talk!
I have absolutely no clue about the rules in German, but I've worked with groups of German guests on sailing charter ships for many years nd I'm perfectly capable of telling them what ropes to pull or how to tie a knot, and I have no trouble at all holding my own at a conversation about just anything with a beer after sailing, even though I'm grammatically mangling the language.
English is different, much of my English comes from reading, my German only comes from the need to communicate verbally.
You went busking when you were young @Antje77? What musical instrument(s) did you play?
Sounds as though you have an adventurous weekend ahead. Have fun, take care and look after yourself.
I forgot to mention this in my earlier list of how I've learnt my English. I went all out on a Bob Dylan thing as a teen in the 90's so I needed to understand his lyrics if I wanted to sing them with my guitar. And because of his history, I also needed to learn about Woody Guthrie, and the history his lyrics came from. Lots to read in English
I still have the thing about Dylan, but not as strong as in my teens and twenties. Two summers (at 17 and 18) I've followed tours of his, spending all my money on concert tickets, hitchhiking to get there throughout Europe and sleeping in parks with my sleeping bag to save money for the concerts, eating mainly water and bread for two weeks. :hilarious:

Amazing times, amazing people met too!

Nowadays, I just do a single concert if he plays within a 4 hour drive (or maybe two concerts). The counter must be in the mid or high 30's by now for concerts seen since the early 90's...

I expect the weekend will be wonderful, and a diabetic nightmare, which is ok in my book if a planned event! :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My pork chops yesterday were a disappointment. I hadn't realised that they were what my gran and my mum called "best end of neck" not actually from the saddle but more from the top of the shoulder. So I left too little time for them to cook and the result was tough with all the bone and gristle (and there were little bits of bone through the meat as well). They should have been slow cooked and I fried them. Result - there was very little edible meat. As a result I was hungry all day. BG was steady around the 5's all day. Then I went and spoiled it by having 2 biscuits because I was hungry and they were there, supposedly for visitors. BG went up rapidly to 10.6, but started to drop so was 9.4 by midnight and 7.4 this morning.

Breakfast will be bacon and eggs - that will keep me going.

I am also cooking some chicken thighs with Ras al hanout just in case. If I don't need them today, I'll use them tomorrow.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Keto almond and raspberry cake
Cheese and tomato
Cod in Butter

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, not feeling too well today - might be a bit of keto flu as my ketones are over 1 for the first time in ages, or it might be actual flu which is doing the rounds at the moment. Hope it's the former!

I had 3 slices of bacon and 3 hardboiled eggs for breakfast, but I'm really not sure what to have for tea. I was going to make something with beef mince but not sure if I feel up to it. I'm having a couple of montezuma's 100% buttons to cheer myself up and might have some cheese or something later.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you measure ketones, and what should the level be? That's something I've had no information on and no knowledge. Never thought it important because I have no means of measuring it. Should my medics have told me about this? Does it make a difference on a carnivore diet, even if only temporarily?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, not feeling too well today - might be a bit of keto flu as my ketones are over 1 for the first time in ages, or it might be actual flu which is doing the rounds at the moment. Hope it's the former!

I had 3 slices of bacon and 3 hardboiled eggs for breakfast, but I'm really not sure what to have for tea. I was going to make something with beef mince but not sure if I feel up to it. I'm having a couple of montezuma's 100% buttons to cheer myself up and might have some cheese or something later.
Sorry you're not feeling so good. Let's hope it's just a temporary blip and that you get over it soon.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a lovely day - managed quite a lot outdoors which always lifts my spirits.
Brunch kefir then a small salad with some sauerkraut plus celery, two small tomatoes and one spring onion, 20g of nuts then pieces of comte and stilton cheese and six LC seeded crackers then spoon of hm rhubarb and yoghurt.
Dinner shared a wonderful large piece of wild salmon that bought in a flash sale before Easter and froze it - so defrosted it and then cooked in a baking parchment parcel with lemon, dried dill and butter
IMG_20240405_151952 (2024-04-05T17_59_52.000)_kindlephoto-54589107.jpg

Served it with green beans and two new potato chips from freezer ( I had previously par boiled and frozen in chip shapes) and glass of dry white wine. Pudding - had LC berry crumble with spoon of hm yoghurt.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you measure ketones, and what should the level be? That's something I've had no information on and no knowledge. Never thought it important because I have no means of measuring it. Should my medics have told me about this? Does it make a difference on a carnivore diet, even if only temporarily?
I measure ketones by using special strips on my bg monitor the monitor is called Care Sens duo from spirit healthcare
But blood ketones strips are expensive so it's only something I do occasionally. I use it for my blood glucose testing daily though it's just ketones strips that I restrict! I have to fund my own but wonder if as an insulin user you could get a ketones testing meter from your surgery or is this wishful thinking? Ketones in blood when sugars are low is nutritional ketosis and desirable - however ketones in blood when sugars high can be a sign of ketoacidosis. I've had ketones in the past quite high but with very low bgs now it's more commonly 0.5 to 1 when I test.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For what it's worth, I've never owned a meter or even pee strips to test for ketones.
I think the question is, why do you want to test for them?
On a keto/carnivore diet, chances are you'll have ketones, which is fine.

For myself, as long as my BG is well and I'm not ill, I don't see a reason to fear DKA so no need for testing.
There is a small chance I'll regret this at some point should I get very ill, but I'm well aware of the symptoms of DKA and I expect I won't ignore them or write them off as a tummy bug.

None of my HCP's ever mentioned ketones to me.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Annb, @shelley262 summed it up perfectly. Ketones are what the Ketogenic diet is named after, when the body doesn't get carbohydrates it switches over to burning fat (hooray for weight loss) and ketones are the product which show in your blood. If you have a lot of body fat like me, you don't need to eat quite so much dietary fat as a lean person would during ketosis, although it is important for satiety and nutrition when no carbs are coming in.

It's explained here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/nutritional-ketosis-vs-dka/

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For what it's worth, I've never owned a meter or even pee strips to test for ketones.
I think the question is, why do you want to test for them?
On a keto/carnivore diet, chances are you'll have ketones, which is fine.

For myself, as long as my BG is well and I'm not ill, I don't see a reason to fear DKA so no need for testing.
There is a small chance I'll regret this at some point should I get very ill, but I'm well aware of the symptoms of DKA and I expect I won't ignore them or write them off as a tummy bug.

None of my HCP's ever mentioned ketones to me.
It's motivation for me. I measure ketones because I'm a serial relapser with carb addiction and seeing a good level of nutritional ketosis is reassuring that I am burning body fat and I then think twice about chucking it in. It is silly expensive so I keep it to a minimum but if it stops me going off the rails I'm willing to pay the price. I monitor blood sugar throughout the day, too, and that works for motivation as well when I relapse and see a huge spike.

I'm a morbidly obese, 60 year old very poorly type 2. Whatever helps me to regain just a little health is worth it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's motivation for me. I measure ketones because I'm a serial relapser with carb addiction and seeing a good level of nutritional ketosis is reassuring that I am burning body fat and I then think twice about chucking it in. It is silly expensive so I keep it to a minimum but if it stops me going off the rails I'm willing to pay the price. I monitor blood sugar throughout the day, too, and that works for motivation as well when I relapse and see a huge spike.

I'm a morbidly obese, 60 year old very poorly type 2. Whatever helps me to regain just a little health is worth it.
I'm also morbidly obese and nearly 79. I can't exercise because I'm pretty well crippled with arthritis. Last time I spoke to my diabetes nurse (ages ago) she didn't want me to reduce my Bg level any further than 8 or 9 but I didn't think that was low enough and I wasn't losing any weight at all was actually still getting heavier and fatter so I went low carb, despite her objections. She thought I was too old even then (must have been about 75). I didn't bother asking her anything about carnivore. Her opinion is too predictable. So I'm doing this on my own. On low carb I was reducing BG most of the time but not weight. After 3 days of carnivore I lost 1.9 kilos. Slipped a bit yesterday but back on track today.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm also morbidly obese and nearly 79. I can't exercise because I'm pretty well crippled with arthritis. Last time I spoke to my diabetes nurse (ages ago) she didn't want me to reduce my Bg level any further than 8 or 9 but I didn't think that was low enough and I wasn't losing any weight at all was actually still getting heavier and fatter so I went low carb, despite her objections. She thought I was too old even then (must have been about 75). I didn't bother asking her anything about carnivore. Her opinion is too predictable. So I'm doing this on my own. On low carb I was reducing BG most of the time but not weight. After 3 days of carnivore I lost 1.9 kilos. Slipped a bit yesterday but back on track today.
I don't believe we're ever too old to improve our wellbeing and quality of life x