What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your gut feeling is quite right, Antje. It's more correct, just as it would be more correct to use whom rather than who in many circumstances (it would include a different sentence construction as well, in many cases). It makes for a much more formal tone to the sentence and is frequently left out these days - another example of changing language. Example: Who does this belong to? and To whom does this belong?
Oh, I don't know @Annb. The question of whether to include the 'are' is purely a matter of style, IMO. Neither inclusion or omission in that particular context is ungrammatical.

Whether to use whom or who OTOH is governed by grammatical rules. When it comes to our mother tongue most of us, the world over, grow up copying our parents without thinking about the grammar, but that doesn't mean there isn't any! Learning another language, forces you to remember its rules or you're bound to slip up. In your example, whom not who is correct, as you say, because Whom does this belong to? and To whom does this belong? are both accusative case. That was drummed into us at school. (If that doesn't happen now, then standards must have slipped). 'Who' in that context is just plain wrong in my view. I've heard it in speech btw, but not seen the error in print as yet.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
{{{{Hugs }}} to @Antje77

Is this the thread where where was talk about purple sprouting broccoli? Spotted in Aldi today British grown. Bought some, not cooked it yet but looks the proper stuff
This was certainly one of the threads @MrsA2. Terrific news! We have an Aldi store within striking distance.
I was able to buy purple sprouting broccoli there today. Thanks for the tip

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Baked halloumi and sweet red peppers,
Roast cauliflower with Egyptian duqqah using toasted almonds. hazelnuts, pistachios. sesame, fennel, cumin and coriander seeds.
Salad of cucumber, salad onions, raspberries, strawberry halves and mint, dressed with olive oil, garlic, a touch of lemon juice and topped with toasted sesame seeds.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps and mussels, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, oregano and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with pcan halves.
Water to swallow tablets.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, I don't know @Annb. The question of whether to include the 'are' is purely a matter of style, IMO. Neither inclusion or omission in that particular context is ungrammatical.

Whether to use whom or who OTOH is governed by grammatical rules. When it comes to our mother tongue most of us, the world over, grow up copying our parents without thinking about the grammar, but that doesn't mean there isn't any! Learning another language, forces you to remember its rules or you're bound to slip up. In your example whom not who is correct, as you say, because Whom does this belong to? and To whom does this belong? are both accusative case. That was drummed into us at school. (If that doesn't happen now, then standards must have slipped). 'Who' in that context is just plain wrong in my view. I've heard it in speech btw, but not seen the error in print as yet.
I've learnt some grammatical rules in English in school, but English was only taught after I was 13, and at my school the focus was on being able to communicate in everyday life, not proper grammar. Which I think makes a lot of sense, as a starter in a new language you'll want to be able to buy rolls or beer, or ask for the way to the museum, no matter if your irregular verbs are correct (and I've never got - see, I've learnt! - to the stage of anyone explaining the 'whom', although I'd love to understand).

I've learnt from talking to fellow buskers in Amserdam when I was young, and from reading books because translations often aren't as good as the original.
And then I became an active member and a moderator on this forum, which improved my English a lot more. Except for one part: 'bad language'. Because the forum is very strict on bad words, my grasp of your language lacks a natural feeling on cursing, it simply hasn't grown with the rest of my comfortability with it, which is very funny!

I would love to have some more theoretical knowledge. Like you said, when using a second language, knowing the rules can make up some of not having grown up with it.

Slightly more on topic:
I'll have my family weekend, and it promises to be very challenging. Very early start because it's an almost 4 hour drive to where we'll have lunch. Unknown lunch, wing the insulin dose.
Followed by a parcour thing in the trees, right after I most likely completely misguessed my lunch dose here: https://kanoa.nl/klimbos-zeeland/. I've called them, and there is no way to get down once you've started a route so there's both my fear of heights and a real possibility of a hypo up in the trees...

After that, some of my family members have expressed wanting to go for a cold outside swim with me.
And then there's a meal at the hotel.

So this is bound to be a diabetic disaster adventure, but I'm very much looking forward to it!
The looking forward taking precedence over anxiety is very much a new thing for me. :happy:

I'll keep you updated, but I can't promise my adventures are fitting in the low carb forum...

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@PenguinMum I hope you friend recovers well and you can enjoy your afternoon chats. It’s lovely for you both to have each other.

The start of a busy two weeks for me with lots of family and friends visiting and staying to celebrate a lovely family event. Lots of cooking and entertaining which I enjoy but can also be a challenge.
For me breakfast was avocado on low carb toast
lunch roast beef, cheese and sauerkraut
Dinner was salmon burgers (on homemade rolls for everyone else), with arugula, tartar sauce and mango salsa. I served everyone else a dessert of warm chocolate fudgey fruit surprise. “ Surprise” because the fruit was a frozen mixed bag of berries from the garden. Not exactly sure what they were. Probably a mix of grapes, blackcurrants, redcurrants gooseberries and few raspberries. It was well received though which was nice.

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all, on the swearing in a foreign language @Antje77 ,I had a Belgian colleague who spoke excellent English but he did ask me once if it was ok to use “lovely jubbly” (Only fools and horses big at the time!) or if it was really rudeSounds like another exciting weekend for you, enjoy!
Yesterday
B Coconut porridge, cinnamon and seeds
L Cheese salad and coleslaw
D Creamy garlic prawns,courgettes and mushrooms with edamame pasta.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My weight yo-yo has been very good this week and I've only been doing carnivore for 3 days. Lost almost 2 kilos. This is the day I weigh myself because this is the only day when I don't have cumbersome and weighty bandages on - I peel them off on Wednesday night and get them put back on on Thursday mid-morning.

I possibly need to adjust the amount of meat I am eating because I did get very hungry on each of these 3 days, or might have to introduce a 2nd meal, as I did yesterday - made a kind of cheesey frittata (still animal products so, sort of OK for carnivore). This morning it will be 2 quite large pork chops (in the pan at the moment) and hope that will be enough for today. If not I could always have some sardines later on.

I don't anticipate sticking to a carnivore diet for more than a month and will add in a few veggies in May and see how that goes.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My weight yo-yo has been very good this week and I've only been doing carnivore for 3 days. Lost almost 2 kilos. This is the day I weigh myself because this is the only day when I don't have cumbersome and weighty bandages on - I peel them off on Wednesday night and get them put back on on Thursday mid-morning.

I possibly need to adjust the amount of meat I am eating because I did get very hungry on each of these 3 days, or might have to introduce a 2nd meal, as I did yesterday - made a kind of cheesey frittata (still animal products so, sort of OK for carnivore). This morning it will be 2 quite large pork chops (in the pan at the moment) and hope that will be enough for today. If not I could always have some sardines later on.

I don't anticipate sticking to a carnivore diet for more than a month and will add in a few veggies in May and see how that goes.
Fantastic news on the weight shifting! I wonder if the fat content of your meals could to be upped as well to help with the satiety?

I'm also seeing weight drop, 1.8 kilos here too! Yes I'm including cheese and cream and butter too, butter or melted cheese on meat is really satiating for me. Tastes great too!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Today usual brekkie of slice LC toast, cooled with butter, copious tea.
Lunch two fingers of cheese, ripe Brie & Emmenthal few pickled silverskin onions. Two small water biscuits. Tea.
Supper will be meaty sausages with broccoli, dessertsp of Mr P’s reduced sugar beans.
That means Fish Finger Firsday will be pushed on a day to tomo!
@Antje77 hope you can manage your Family Day to best suit you and have fun. @Annb good luck with the carnivory method to weight loss and hope you can find a pathway to work for you. @shelley262 @MommaE and @jpscloud thanks for the kind comments about my friend who is more a family member. I am her next of kin and it really muddies the waters that she lives in Greater London and we are West Sussex. But we all have things happen to loved ones and its always challenging.
I haven’t even mentioned the dog who hates me!!!

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 lots of challenges but hopefully lots of fun too - do hope you get your car sorted. You are doing so well - look forward to hear how you get on with your family adventures - enjoy.
Brunch two boiled eggs and LC roll. Then a spoon of rhubarb and hm yoghurt
Dinner hm chilli con carne and one slice of LC garlic bread then LC lemon drizzle cake with decaffeinated coffee.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all, where did today go? I went to the supermarket for more carnivore supplies, this time on a bit of a tighter budget. I got 2 marrowbones to make beef broth to have as gravy, several packs of 20% fat beef mince, some lamb mince and several braising steaks, all in the freezer except a pack of beef mince (I might make meatballs or burgers tomorrow) and the marrowbones which I will start off in the slow cooker tomorrow.

Today I had:

1.30pm
Pork puffs x2 with full fat soft cheese

Dinner will be a couple of small lamb steaks

I might have some hard boiled eggs with dip made of sour cream and garlic butter afterwards, not sure yet. Really not hungry now but this morning I had the first real hunger pangs in quite a while.

Hope everyone had or is having a good day x

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Evening all, where did today go? I went to the supermarket for more carnivore supplies, this time on a bit of a tighter budget. I got 2 marrowbones to make beef broth to have as gravy, several packs of 20% fat beef mince, some lamb mince and several braising steaks, all in the freezer except a pack of beef mince (I might make meatballs or burgers tomorrow) and the marrowbones which I will start off in the slow cooker tomorrow.

Today I had:

1.30pm
Pork puffs x2 with full fat soft cheese

Dinner will be a couple of small lamb steaks

I might have some hard boiled eggs with dip made of sour cream and garlic butter afterwards, not sure yet. Really not hungry now but this morning I had the first real hunger pangs in quite a while.

Hope everyone had or is having a good day x
Can you tell me what a Pork Puff is please. Thanks

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell me what a Pork Puff is please. Thanks
Hi filly, they are snacks made of pork rind. I buy Awfully Posh because they are the only ones (I've found) who state they're fried in pork fat and not seed oils - they do three types, pork puffs, very fluffy and easier on the teeth, pork crackling, a bit harder with a strip of fat (I eat these too and usually list them as pork puffs because I'm lazy) and pork scratchings which are really hard.

Edit: when I say x2 I mean 2 packets of them, not 2 individual ones!

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't fancy steak today, but fancied some air-fried chicken legs. So that's what I had.

PXL_20240404_185916527.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: low carb fish pie with roasted Mediterranean veggies.

2024-04-04 19.20.55.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a big binge last night, late, on biscuits

B: a little cheese and ham

Dog walk, nice long one. Had packed a lunch as expected NT cafe, but ended up eating it back at home.
Cheese, ham, olives, . Half a Yorshire Fat Rascal with double cream. Not at all low carb, but after my experiences of yesterday, thought a planned deviation then back on lc was probably better.
Sure enough the spike was high, but short lived

D: 2 sausages from 2 rival local butchers. Neither would give meat % but as it was no spike. Served with buttered courgettes and salad.
A brandy and soda

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 what a lovely guest to bring a whole Yarg! The garlic version is wrapped in wild garlic leaves rather than nettles so the flavour is quite mild but delicious.

We have come away for a few days to our favourite Cornish hotel on the coast, we can hear the wind howling around us but are cosy inside with a brandy and coffee.
B- at home, finishing off fridge leftovers, a ham and Brie sandwich in lc bread then the last spoonful of yoghurt.
L- arrived early afternoon had coffee and a DGF peanut butter egg
D- moules mariniere then red mullet with a dressing of capers, orange and parsley. Kale replaced the potatoes as requested. They’ve been very accommodating. ( I’d eaten quite a bit before I took the photo)
IMG_1712261632.624518.jpg

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 what a lovely guest to bring a whole Yarg! The garlic version is wrapped in wild garlic leaves rather than nettles so the flavour is quite mild but delicious.

We have come away for a few days to our favourite Cornish hotel on the coast, we can hear the wind howling around us but are cosy inside with a brandy and coffee.
B- at home, finishing off fridge leftovers, a ham and Brie sandwich in lc bread then the last spoonful of yoghurt.
L- arrived early afternoon had coffee and a DGF peanut butter egg
D- moules mariniere then red mullet with a dressing of capers, orange and parsley. Kale replaced the potatoes as requested. They’ve been very accommodating. ( I’d eaten quite a bit before I took the photo)View attachment 67048
Enjoy your hotel break away the red mullet looks good.