What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Missed a few days but getting back on track now:
No breakfast, it’s my birthday and I knew we’d be feasting later! A trip to the podiatrist ( what a way to celebrate) then lunch of chicken salad sandwich in LC bread. H/m yoghurt & raspberries, then a treat of a couple of squares of Montezuma’s Absolute black with orange, a present from a lovely friend who knows me well.
D-Family round for a takeaway curry. Glass of champagne and a tandoori mixed grill with a spoonful of saag paneer. A lovely day, just wish it could have stopped raining for a few minutes!
Happy Birthday

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All been missing for nearly a week. Good Friday was a nice gathering of the boys DILs and 4 mo grandson who wasn’t in best form (think teething starting) but did allow me to read The Wonky Donkey to him. For his age he shows remarkable concentration in picture books. I did a cold platter of smoked salmon, poached salmon flakes from M&S (the only form of salmon I like though it is honey roasted) black prawns and local crabmeat from the coast. A big green salad. A good cheeseboard and very good bread which got me into trouble! For afters there was Colin the Caterpillar meets Easter Lamb and a big dish of mixed berries. I tried a sliver of Colin and it was so sweet it made me wince!
The rest of the time since has been dominated by worry about close friend, very much a member of our family, (she and I talk on phone every day without fail at 5pm) suddenly in hospital with acute heart failure and very unwell. Meals since have been a cycle of what we usually eat.
Today usual brekkie of slice LC toast, cooled with thick butter, copious tea.
Lunch will be two scrambled eggs topped with generous Parmesan shavings. Tea. Supper just me so will either be Greek salad or if fancy hot will be meaty sausages with Stokes low sugar ketchup and veg.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No breakfast, it’s my birthday and I knew we’d be feasting later! A trip to the podiatrist ( what a way to celebrate) then lunch of chicken salad sandwich in LC bread. H/m yoghurt & raspberries, then a treat of a couple of squares of Montezuma’s Absolute black with orange, a present from a lovely friend who knows me well.
D-Family round for a takeaway curry. Glass of champagne and a tandoori mixed grill with a spoonful of saag paneer. A lovely day, just wish it could have stopped raining for a few minutes!
A very happy birthday to you @DJC3 !

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree @Annb, but why adopt somebody else's slang? I suppose American films and TV programmes are widely screened and some of the speech patterns have rubbed off. There's nothing modern about them, they're simply the way folk speak in a different part of the world.
Someone else's slang becomes part of the language - see new entries in the Oxford Dictionary. Some seem to me to be very short-lived, but they are there as officially part of the language. I don't know why we do it, but I suppose people think it is smart. For example: anti-technology (that's me); backhaul cockamamie; dork; frontlash; gigglehouse; Ngati Pakeha; wicked; wingsuiting; woke. Some from US, others not, some appropriate because of a new action, others could easily use traditional words.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
At least 'gotten' is grammatical if used correctly @Rachox, although it is archaic. Its use died out here in the UK and the rest of the English speaking world long ago, but has persisted in Canada and the USA to the present day.
That's the language development we referred to. There is a difference between spellings as well which demonstrates that same development. English here has moved on in a different direction to English in America, Australia or other parts of the English speaking world.

Gotten, I think harks back to the Germanic origins of parts of the English language. We do still have that form in "forgotten" and "begotten".

Getting back on track - today's meal was 2 very small lamb steaks with 2 fried eggs. May not be enough for the whole day, but we'll see.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, another thing I'm struggling with right here!
My gut feeling tells me your sentence is missing an 'are' at the end, even though in Dutch it's not needed. Any idea why?
Your gut feeling is quite right, Antje. It's more correct, just as it would be more correct to use whom rather than who in many circumstances (it would include a different sentence construction as well, in many cases). It makes for a much more formal tone to the sentence and is frequently left out these days - another example of changing language. Example: Who does this belong to? and To whom does this belong?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Belated happy birthday @DJC3.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Well, did get some fish out but errant parcel arrived before 4pm.
Coffee and cream x 1
Tea.
Coffee and cream
Bacon, egg, sausage. Tomato and mushrooms.
Keto Chocolate cake for tea.......

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All been missing for nearly a week. Good Friday was a nice gathering of the boys DILs and 4 mo grandson who wasn’t in best form (think teething starting) but did allow me to read The Wonky Donkey to him. For his age he shows remarkable concentration in picture books. I did a cold platter of smoked salmon, poached salmon flakes from M&S (the only form of salmon I like though it is honey roasted) black prawns and local crabmeat from the coast. A big green salad. A good cheeseboard and very good bread which got me into trouble! For afters there was Colin the Caterpillar meets Easter Lamb and a big dish of mixed berries. I tried a sliver of Colin and it was so sweet it made me wince!
The rest of the time since has been dominated by worry about close friend, very much a member of our family, (she and I talk on phone every day without fail at 5pm) suddenly in hospital with acute heart failure and very unwell. Meals since have been a cycle of what we usually eat.
Today usual brekkie of slice LC toast, cooled with thick butter, copious tea.
Lunch will be two scrambled eggs topped with generous Parmesan shavings. Tea. Supper just me so will either be Greek salad or if fancy hot will be meaty sausages with Stokes low sugar ketchup and veg.
So sorry to hear your news about your close friend very worrying for you. Do hope that she recovers well and that you've been able to stay in touch. You take care it takes a lot out of you dealing with worries about close friends and relatives.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. I got confused. I think I meant Kimchi (with the cabbage and stuff in). Apologies for the confusion.
Just added some more photos and a guideline 're amounts from the sauerkraut I made today see

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got motivated and had a very creative kitchen based day - my efforts included:
A new Sauerkraut - details on fermented veggies thread
Cooked rhubarb in slow cooker with ginger and lemon to produce some cooked rhubarb and also some rhubarb and lemon and ginger cordial
Made a new batch of bifido yoghurt - 8 hours in yoghurt maker
My usual kefir
Par cooked, cooled and cut new potatoes into chip shapes. Then open froze them - now stored in bag in freezer
Slow cooked Bolognese for dinner

Late lunch kefir then a small salad with some of my already fermented sauerkraut, 20g of nuts, 6 LC seeded crackers and some cheese followed by a few squares of 100% chocolate.
IMG_20240403_134332.jpg

Dinner hm Bolognese with glass of halved followed by spoon of home cooked rhubarb and bifido yoghurt

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: cheese, mushroom and tomato omelette.

2024-04-03 19.16.08.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast
Dog walk
L: omelette in a cafe we'd popped into for a light bite. Not very nice, all watery. Had far too much tomato in.
Watched hubby devour steak pie, huge chips gravy and veg with envy. And saw our planned pub meal for this evening disappear too - even he couldnt eat that much again same day! I was cross because I had been looking forward to the evening and was jealous he chose what he wanted, not what he should have. Cursed diabetes and low carb

Mid afternoon, emotional revenge eating: hot chocolate with double cream, no sweeteners available so added Nutella (yuk) then chocolate and nuts. 2 chocolate digestive biscuits.
Saved by another dog walk

D: 2 cold sausages and olives. Greek yoghurt with chopped nuts and 85% chocolate . 1 glass white wine

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your birthday wishes yesterday, this is such a lovely corner of the forum.
Todays food-
B- 2 egg omelette with sauerkraut
L-h/m strained yoghurt with seeds and raspberries. Lump of garlic Yarg
D- h/m burger topped with Brie and chopped gherkin, salad and h/m chilli mayo. 4 squares Montezuma’s Orange.
IMG_1712171453.475345.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Same meal as yesterday, cauliflower puree drowned in a beef and onion stew.
Today I deliberately plated too much to keep my dogs happy, they don't agree with me being away for most of the day because of this new working thing and they feel very sorry for themselves.

Four hours of work, more than enough to feel all my muscels and some I didn't know I had, followed by the gym (why? I'm getting more exercise with this working thing than I'll ever get in the gym!) and a cold swim.

Short visit to my neighbour, and very thankful he'll have the work van next week as well so I can still use his car on workdays. Hopefully I can coax my own car back to life on friday, but if not, it won't cause a lot of problems short term. :)

1712173560348.png

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone else's slang becomes part of the language - see new entries in the Oxford Dictionary. Some seem to me to be very short-lived, but they are there as officially part of the language. I don't know why we do it, but I suppose people think it is smart. For example: anti-technology (that's me); backhaul cockamamie; dork; frontlash; gigglehouse; Ngati Pakeha; wicked; wingsuiting; woke. Some from US, others not, some appropriate because of a new action, others could easily use traditional words.
Agreed @Annb. We have perfectly adequate terms for some of these words and plenty of slang expressions of our own without importing other people's LoL.

Our language has been enriched down the centuries by assimilating French, German, Latin, Greek and Arabic words, but not to the same extent. I suppose American films and TV programmes are widely available here and some of the speech patterns have rubbed off.