Soft or meltable hypo treatment?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
It's rare that I get a hypo but I have difficulty with what to use.
I can't chew soft candy as I have no teeth. I rarely eat fruits.
Juices once I open one will go bad by the time I need any more.
I don't buy soda pop unless it's sugar free.
What can I have around to use if needed?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you eat what my MIL calls "sucky sweets"?
The kind of old fashioned hard boiled sweets like sherbet pips, humbugs or even Worthers Original.
I have read that more sugar is absorbed through the gums so sucking rather than crunching and swallowing can be better for all of us to treat a hypo.

Reactions: cdpm

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I have a hypo I use dextrose tablets or glucose boosts or sugar in tea as it’s the easiest and fastest way to get sugar in you and the other way is a mars or snickers bar and they send your sugars high enough that it covers you for awhile and then you can get something like a sandwich or something like that to cover you until you recover from the hypo

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I have a hypo I use dextrose tablets or glucose boosts or sugar in tea as it’s the easiest and fastest way to get sugar in you and the other way is a mars or snickers bar and they send your sugars high enough that it covers you for awhile and then you can get something like a sandwich or something like that to cover you until you recover from the hypo
@cdpm has said they have no teeth, @Jordi77 so they are unlikely to be able to manage to eat a sandwich, and Snickers have nuts in. Also chocolate isn't a good hypo treatment, as the fat in it slows down the absorbtion, and hypo treatment needs to be fast acting.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Fortuitous to come across this thread, as I am just starting a SGLT2 inhibitor and the notes say you should be prepared for a hypo although it is rare.

I was thinking possibly glucose tablets.
At one time jelly babies used to be an option, but I have no idea how much sugar is in them these days.

I need them to stay useable for at least 6 months because I am not convinced I will need them, and if I do it will be very rarely.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dextrose require crunching to get the fast hit needed to treat a hypo.
And chocolate is not recommended as the fat will slow down sugar absorption. I am also not sure how to eat a Snickers without teeth.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Milk has saved my life on countless occasions.

Dispite what others reckon on the “fat content.”

Reactions: cdpm and SimonP78

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Mini cans of full sugar Coke Cola it’s 15 g of fast acting carbs plus it’s not a lot to drink , like you I only drink diet but always have Plenty of mini cans of non diet Coke Cola just in case of hypos , always have them at side of bed , since I’ve had Libre system I don’t get many hypos as I set low alarm at 4.1 as soon as it alarms I take coke so I never actual get to the eat contents of fridge stage or sweating and trembling , works for me

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Milk has saved my life on countless occasions.

Dispite what others reckon on the “fat content.”
I totally agree back in the day ( god that makes me sound old oh aye I am old hehehe) when in hospital and you had a hypo two teaspoons of sugar in a glass of milk was the remedy sometimes old ways are the best

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I remember when I had a hypo in hospital a long time ago that I was given a cup of hot chocolate and that was stuffed with sugar well I was told to drink it due to my sugars being close to 1.9 and the diabetes nurse was about to see me well that knocked them so that I had that and they were watching my sugars rise to 7.9 and that was just with Kryptonite as that's what hot chocolate is so now I only have it when my sugars drop to around 2.5 or less and that way I know they will go up but not in a rush as you would say

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree back in the day ( god that makes me sound old oh aye I am old hehehe) when in hospital and you had a hypo two teaspoons of sugar in a glass of milk was the remedy sometimes old ways are the best
I had a “Janet & John” have diabetes style book when I was diagnosed.
To paraphrase the script. “Tell mummy if you feel funny.” The next illustration was a woman handing “John” a glass of milk..
For me it always washed down a biscuit. :)

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I have some hard candy to suck on. And I have ate a few spoons of dry hot chocolate mix.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What about glucogel? Probably not the best tasting (although I can't remember as I haven't used it for years) but it has a shelf life of around 18 months and if you aren't having a hypo that often anyway it probably won't hurt to have something slightly "yucky" every once in a while.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honey, the kind that comes in little sachets meant for sweetening tea, or maple syrup? (Or maple candy, though that probably takes too long to melt in the mouth!). Those things do tend to keep.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What about glucogel? Probably not the best tasting (although I can't remember as I haven't used it for years) but it has a shelf life of around 18 months and if you aren't having a hypo that often anyway it probably won't hurt to have something slightly "yucky" every once in a while.
Glycogel is really quick plus I know here in Scotland you can get it on prescription

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glycogel is really quick plus I know here in Scotland you can get it on prescription
It is very rare to get it on prescription in England. Although I know one person who has it for no clear reason. Probably just part of the postcode lottery.
I have only had it once and it tasted horrendous. I vowed to only every need it in an absolute emergency.

Captain_Sensible

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Being a Type 1'er for 65 years and like you have just a few teeth left- I always keep a tube or two of Glucogel handy. The docs will prescribe them if you ask. It is a dextrose gel that you can just snap the cap off the tube and squeeze into your mouth. Saved me many a time over the years.!

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
a bottle of water and sticks of sugar? It is very cheap, it is stored forever, you will still drink water regardless of whether you have hypo or not. Sugar can be poured into tea/coffee when friends come to you. sugar sticks are usually sold in large packages for coffee shops.
images (3).jpeg