Soft or meltable hypo treatment?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fortuitous to come across this thread, as I am just starting a SGLT2 inhibitor and the notes say you should be prepared for a hypo although it is rare.

I was thinking possibly glucose tablets.
At one time jelly babies used to be an option, but I have no idea how much sugar is in them these days.

I need them to stay useable for at least 6 months because I am not convinced I will need them, and if I do it will be very rarely.
I've found the mini bags of haribo (meant for children's lunches) are the perfect size and usually have at least a 12 month shelf life, Or the mini cans meant for mixers

Reactions: cdpm

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ‘acquire’ the individual sachets of sugar from cafes and restaurants as I travel to keep for hypos and buy baby food sachets to keep in the car and carry with me when travelling. Live in Norway and here they sell ‘long life‘baby food, I often buy it from the near its sell by date cheapo bin. Have looked in the UK and the pouches I ‘ve seen usually have a short shelf life and are in the fridge, but I find them easier to deal with than the little individual juice boxes, they always seem to make a mess when you stick the straw in them. Am less than 2 years into the type 1 life but I know when I start having a hypo the last thing I want to do is eat anything, much easier to drink something.

ironsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's rare that I get a hypo but I have difficulty with what to use.
I can't chew soft candy as I have no teeth. I rarely eat fruits.
Juices once I open one will go bad by the time I need any more.
I don't buy soda pop unless it's sugar free.
What can I have around to use if needed?
Being a Type 1'er for 65 years and like you have just a few teeth left- I always keep a tube or two of Glucogel handy. The docs will prescribe them if you ask. It is a dextrose gel that you can just snap the cap off the tube and squeeze into your mouth. Saved me many a time over the years.!

Lydia1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have Dextrose tablets, they literally melt in your mouth so don’t need to chew. Handy to have when you’re out and about ( in my case walking the dog )

bryanfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude/ignorant people and those who don't clean up after their dogs no fun gettng poo stuck in wheelchair hels
Do you like jelly babies, I was advised at diabetic check up at GPs to have 5 jelly babies if have a hypo. I find them easy to suck as they easily melt in my mouth especially if suffering from sore mouth tongue with ulcers side effects from injections that lower my immunity. Hope this help, I also have packs of Dextrose sweets they are quite cheap to buy in packs of three and as someone else mentioned they easily melt in the mouth.

bigfootsmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't like jelly babies which is what I was told to take. For quickness I take honey and it never goes off.

Teajay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Black pudding!
I use Black Cherry yoghurt flavour Torq gel. 30 gms of carbs per sachet

shayT1d33yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I have a hypo I use dextrose tablets or glucose boosts or sugar in tea as it’s the easiest and fastest way to get sugar in you and the other way is a mars or snickers bar and they send your sugars high enough that it covers you for awhile and then you can get something like a sandwich or something like that to cover you until you recover from the hypo
Chocolate is not a proven method to treat hypo as the fat content slows the absorption of the sugar. plus it is high enough in sugar that it elevates the blood sugar to much and then you end up on a roller-coaster of high then low then high then low. You should have 15g of hypo treatment ( 150ml fruit juice) wait 15m and test again....this is the proven method although it is different for everyone this is what the diabetic medical team recommend as a standard. Hope that helps. T1D for 33 years x

Reactions: Marikev and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Do you like jelly babies, I was advised at diabetic check up at GPs to have 5 jelly babies if have a hypo. I find them easy to suck as they easily melt in my mouth especially if suffering from sore mouth tongue with ulcers side effects from injections that lower my immunity. Hope this help, I also have packs of Dextrose sweets they are quite cheap to buy in packs of three and as someone else mentioned they easily melt in the mouth.
I've never tried them.
They sound good.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I ‘acquire’ the individual sachets of sugar from cafes and restaurants as I travel to keep for hypos and buy baby food sachets to keep in the car and carry with me when travelling. Live in Norway and here they sell ‘long life‘baby food, I often buy it from the near its sell by date cheapo bin. Have looked in the UK and the pouches I ‘ve seen usually have a short shelf life and are in the fridge, but I find them easier to deal with than the little individual juice boxes, they always seem to make a mess when you stick the straw in them. Am less than 2 years into the type 1 life but I know when I start having a hypo the last thing I want to do is eat anything, much easier to drink something.
I have a few sugar cubes. I had the packets but they kept somehow ripping open in my purse. The cubes are messy too.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've found the mini bags of haribo (meant for children's lunches) are the perfect size and usually have at least a 12 month shelf life, Or the mini cans meant for mixers
What are haribo?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This would work too. Then no risk of choking on individual items.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can you eat what my MIL calls "sucky sweets"?
The kind of old fashioned hard boiled sweets like sherbet pips, humbugs or even Worthers Original.
I have read that more sugar is absorbed through the gums so sucking rather than crunching and swallowing can be better for all of us to treat a hypo.
I have a few mints around. Is this what u mean sort of?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are haribo?
Haribo are children's jelly sweets

1714490992342.png