Feet Problems

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
yes i thought that's what you meant - lol! will leave the butter dish well alone tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Well it could be LCHF lol, go ahead lol

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I've been developing similar foot issues, in addition to arthritis in the right foot (set off by injury, but suspected that my diabetes has facilitated its development).

In addition to Glucosamine & Chondroitnin mix (for the arthritis), I take Omega3, EPO - Evening Primrose Oil and L-Arginine.

Omega3 and EPO improves blood fats and flow, and EPO can apparently help with nerve damage; L-Arginine increases the oxygen levels in your blood and is found in green veggies such as: spinach, brussels, kale, spring greens, cabbage and watercress, etc.

I've been using the supplements as an interim stop-gap measure until I've reached the stage where my new 'diet' has thoroughly embedded itself, but I have noticed an improvement.

I also wriggle my toes and feet when sitting down (such as now as I'm typing this) - excercise helps lubricate the joints, stretch the muscles and ligaments and get the blood flowing better through the affected area.

I strongly suspect it's the combination of better diet and keeping active that is providing the improvement for me, and not solely one or t'other.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes Conrad. I take evening primrose, selenium, vitamin D and multivitamins. Eat plenty of mackerel daily and things have improved slighty. However years of high HbA1c levels have made me think neuropathy as I now have Diabetic Nephropathy. Thanks.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Just got back to this thread Snowy and took your advice on B12 and folate levels. Looking at an old lab report I saw the following:
Vit B12 - 775 (200-900)
Folate - 110 (100-600)
Ferritin - 51 (10-275)
Seems my folate and ferritin levels were lowish at the time and wondered if this contributed to feet problems too.

Morning Eddie I do think that it is a combination of the 2 you could try taking folic acid supplements,just ask at the chemist for some this will improve your folate levels.I did see a big improvement but then the diabetes came along they don't seem that bad at the moment now I am starting to control the BS.
Hope you are feeling well today.

Reactions: 3 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning Snowy too. I just might take folic acid. I also used to get anaemia due to blood loss from my bowels as well and had to take iron tabs as anaemia is not common in us men ( no monthlies lol). I am due my Hospital Diabetes Clinic review shortly and will mention this. Hope you are well and have a good day.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Morning Snowy too. I just might take folic acid. I also used to get anaemia due to blood loss from my bowels as well and had to take iron tabs as anaemia is not common in us men ( no monthlies lol). I am due my Hospital Diabetes Clinic review shortly and will mention this. Hope you are well and have a good day.

It wouldn't hurt taking the folic acid,I know what you mean about anaemia it is definitely not to common in men unless like you say you are loosing blood,you can however up your folate levels by eating lots of green vegetables,also when I need blood tests done I also tick some extra boxes on the form that is if he hasn't already done it I'm fortunate that my doctor is very good which does help.
I have my DN nurse this morning which I could do without but it will be interesting to see how much weight I have lost since I last saw her.
Speak to you later hope you have a good day also.

image.jpg

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got some memory foam insoles 2day, they have made things feel a bit more comfortable, not stopped the pain in the ends of me toes but feel a bit warmer.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Got some memory foam insoles 2day, they have made things feel a bit more comfortable, not stopped the pain in the ends of me toes but feel a bit warmer.
That's good you will have to advise us how you get on with them,thankfully my feet have been behaving this week,but as you know it changes everyday.
Hope you get on with them.

image.jpg

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good you will have to advise us how you get on with them,thankfully my feet have been behaving this week,but as you know it changes everyday.
Hope you get on with them.

View attachment 9782
I get this tingling sensation down the outside of right leg & a feeling like my socks are crunched up between the balls of my feet & toes, also cold toes & sore on the ends. I was put on duloxatine about it months ago as the doc suspected sciatica as didn't know about the diabetes, went back this week as it's now getting really painful, now on amitriptyline to see if that makes any difference as they are used for nerve probes as well depression.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Interestingly, I was told that neuropathy( nerve damage) when we diabetics are gaining good control , the nerve damage is reversed....and as it is the nerves come back to life and as they do they tingle and hurt and we get the same sensation as when they were being damaged only in reverse as they repair, hope this makes sense:))

Reactions: 4 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Ruth's it's one of the most common symptoms neuropathy in the feet and legs/ hands, from experience it's very disturbing and kept me awake most nights, but ,after finding the forum here and listening to those who have for the most part overcome this, by changing their eating habits to lchf , it is reversible! And additional benefits will come your way as you get fitter and lose body fat,I hope you start getting rid of your neuropathy soon,
Interestingly, I was told that neuropathy( nerve damage) when we diabetics are gaining good control , the nerve damage is reversed....and as it is the nerves come back to life and as they do they tingle and hurt and we get the same sensation as when they were being damaged only in reverse as they repair, hope this makes sense:))

I for the most part am very well controlled for about 1 1/2 years and my foot and toe pain is about 90% gone ( my readers went from 2.25 to 1 ).

You can regrow nerves but as you said it takes a long time - years in fact.

Also really have to be aggressive on BG control including post meal spikes - which can lead to other problems.

Too, it is difficult to know if it is a diabetic neropathy or something else and each of us differ on the amount of nerve and vascular damage.

Keeping meds as low as possible and BG in normal range means a huge change in what we call normal life style - which for me is a daily struggle.

Reactions: 4 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I get this tingling sensation down the outside of right leg & a feeling like my socks are crunched up between the balls of my feet & toes, also cold toes & sore on the ends. I was put on duloxatine about it months ago as the doc suspected sciatica as didn't know about the diabetes, went back this week as it's now getting really painful, now on amitriptyline to see if that makes any difference as they are used for nerve probes as well depression.
I was put onto a slow release 150mg of venlafaxine this also it meant for nerve damage and depression my neurologist told me to take them.
Looks like we shall all just have to wait and see.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hmm...as few drugs as poss for me and trust the lchf and good controls...hope you get some relief from the neuropathy though:))

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hmm...as few drugs as poss for me and trust the lchf and good controls...hope you get some relief from the neuropathy though:))
Definitely Clive seems like I am a walking pill box,there is definately some improvement I hope it continues to improve.
Hope you are doing well yourself.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks just back from guys hospital , had a prostrate problem ,they tested for antigens again , then decided that the cystitis I'd had weeks ago was still not gone so prescribed me the " Mr muscle " of antibiotics and said that ought to blast the infection away:(( Took its of these ultra strong antibiotics tonight .....my mates wife looked up the drug and told me its notorious for giving users diarrhoea ......just what I need as a coach driver....lol

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks just back from guys hospital , had a prostrate problem ,they tested for antigens again , then decided that the cystitis I'd had weeks ago was still not gone so prescribed me the " Mr muscle " of antibiotics and said that ought to blast the infection away:(( Took its of these ultra strong antibiotics tonight .....my mates wife looked up the drug and told me its notorious for giving users diarrhoea ......just what I need as a coach driver....lol

Oh Clive you did make me giggle sorry,I bet you have been very uncomfortable try drinking cranberry juice this is good for cystitis.
Hope you feel better soon and the antibiotics are quick to work,or not lol.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Men...prostate and diabetes ouch ! Feel for you Clive.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Wishing you well Clive :)