Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I think we can make all this more complicated than we need to sometimes. I don't test on first waking, otherwise it would be around 5:30 in the morning and I'm not going to get out of bed just to wash my hands and test, then go back to bed. Or test while I'm in bed. I test when I get up but before showering (which can elevate BG level), that's it. If I've tested just before bedtime I'll note if it's higher or lower, although these days I don't seem to get much DP, it's usually if I'm stressed.

Anyway, 5.8 this morning. Getting stressed now because of workload before holiday, and I'm going to have to take some away with me grrrr :mad:

Reactions: 14 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Nuthead had cataract op monthish ago....mayb not got new specs yet
Should have perfect vision now then, surely? My old mum has after hers? Maybe he can see so well now he's out on the town and has no time to sit indoors with his computer... :)

Reactions: 2 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we can make all this more complicated than we need to sometimes. I don't test on first waking, otherwise it would be around 5:30 in the morning and I'm not going to get out of bed just to wash my hands and test, then go back to bed. Or test while I'm in bed. I test when I get up but before showering (which can elevate BG level), that's it. If I've tested just before bedtime I'll note if it's higher or lower, although these days I don't seem to get much DP, it's usually if I'm stressed.

Anyway, 5.8 this morning. Getting stressed now because of workload before holiday, and I'm going to have to take some away with me grrrr :mad:

Work on holiday - an occupational hazard I share with you! Routine is sensible and I will continue periodically to test at 7AM on weekdays - more difficult to do that at weekends.

Reactions: 5 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...

Awwww... don't like.... :( Poor you...

Reactions: 6 people

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 probably stress at work having an impact and snacking between meals yesterday didn't help.

Reactions: 14 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
5.8 at 5.30, woke with a headache so thought I must have had a LD... had a Magic Bullet coffee and later was 4.3... :)

Reactions: 15 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, have done some research and liver dumping glucose in the early morning happens to both diabetic and non diabetics but of course if you are insulin resistant or your pancreas can't produce enough (any) insulin you will get high morning glucose levels. It would seem that if you test early in the moring (and 7AM is still in the zone) then you are testing for dawn phenomenon resolution effectiveness. I don't think fasting blood glucose testing, which would normally be done later in the day, is comparable.

Normally speaking, the longer you are up and pottering about before testing, the higher your levels will be because your liver will be looking after your welfare. If it thinks you are short of glucose for the energy you need to start the day, it will provide you with some. To get a fair and accurate fasting level you need to have fasted completely (apart from water) for at least 8 to 10 hours and not done any activity other than get out of bed and visit the bathroom, and wash hands. You need to be consistent with this routine in order to get the trends.

Liver dumps also occur at other times during the day - during exercise is very common, and if we go too long between meals is another. It's natural and good to know our livers look after us.

Reactions: 13 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Liver dumps also occur at other times during the day - during exercise is very common, and if we go too long between meals is another. It's natural and good to know our livers look after us.

And many of our livers seem to have a warped sense of humour ...

Reactions: 12 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.8 this morning. That's 8 days in a row I've been under 5 in a morning now :)

Reactions: 21 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I won't tell you about the shattered hands, broken wrist, elbow, broken neck, back, coccyx, broken jaw, skull fracture, splenectomy, bruised kidneys, dislocated knee and hip, puncture wound to my ankle...... Or the Traumatic Brain Injury, syrinx (fluid filled holes) in my thoracic and cervical spinal cord, or the Central Apnea, Post traumatic hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia ....... Or the arachnoiditis and arachnoid cysts then .........I could go on.... but Nah! Wouldn't want to make you wince :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: It involves wires, hammers, fixators and drilling and tapping my fingers and thumbs.
LOL Sorry ..... I'm fine btw xx
April 1st has never been quite as funny though ;)

Diabetes must be a breeze for you Dibs after that lot. What an amazing woman you are to come through all that with a wonderful sense of humour. It certainly puts diabetes into perspective. :)

Reactions: 13 people
S

Sable_Jan

Sunday 5.0, Monday, 5.5, today 5.9 - not the trend I was hoping for!

Sunday was tested after a lie in at 8AM while the weekday ones were at 7AM, an hour after getting up and sorting breakfast for the family. What is the recommended time in the morning to test that is the most meaningful?
As soon as your feet hit the bedroom carpet :)

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

5.4 this morning spiked to 7.6 post my usual brekky that doesn't normally take me up more tan 0.5.... Bedtime was 9.2.... Only had sausages, black pudding, egg and a teensy portion of instant noodles for tea....but test was 3 to 4 hrs later... 4.3 after cheese, scrambled egg and 2 buttered ryvita for dinner.....

Reactions: 9 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 this morning spiked to 7.6 post my usual brekky that doesn't normally take me up more tan 0.5.... Bedtime was 9.2.... Only had sausages, black pudding, egg and a teensy portion of instant noodles for tea....but test was 3 to 4 hrs later... 4.3 after cheese, scrambled egg and 2 buttered ryvita for dinner.....

Mmmm... Ryvita and instant noodles look like the culprits. Some sausages have a lot of cereal in them. Also lots of protein can also turn to sugar.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.