Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask why you don't want to og any lower than 4.5?

My take is that I want to emulate non-diabetic levels. Non-diabetics can often be below these numbers, but never know it, because they don't test. If your profile is up to date, and you aren't taking any meds, provided you have found a way of eating you enjoy, shouldn't you just be seeing where your number settle (provided you feel well enough)? Eating your numbers up just doesn't make sense to me.

I consistently run what others would call "low". I just call them my readings - provided I feel OK.
Of course.

Yes profile is up to date - only joined the 'club' in August and the forum in Dec. Diet and exercise only. I just thought that 4.5 was a reasonable controlled number?

Diet is very low carb - at the beginning of the year fasting was usually below 7 but sometimes just a tad over - I have reduced carbs (to under 20g pd) and this seems to have had the desired effect on the bloods. I am also low carbing to loose weight. Stalled at the beginning of the year again but now going down again nicely. Struggled to get enough fat down me but getting there.

And finally I am that tight on the carbs as I signed up to do the Brighton Marathon (for chariteeeee - NSPCC) on the 12th April - having never been a runner before so I want to be in optimum ketosis (as per Volek and Phinney - art and science of low carb performance and the whole being able to call on 40,000 cals of energy in ketosis rather than the traditional 2,000 cal that a person in glucosis has. This should enable me to fly past the 20 mile 'wall' Ha ha ha - 3 weeks to find out if the theory works!

Anyhow as well as testing bloods - am testing blood ketones and after a 10 mile run to day came in at 2.8 - happy with that.

So in answer to your question I'm trying to keep a reasonable balance between those 3 goals. Still loads to learn - for example I thought that a 227g steak was roughly 200g protein (add a bit to make up the fat) but only found other day that it's 22g per hundred - still trying to get my head around that one.

Cheers.

Reactions: 9 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a good one this morning - 7.4 mmol / L from a pre-bed 5.7 mmol / L :(
Combination of bed the wrong side of midnight, reduced sleep hours, and extra carbs to test effect.
Won't be repeating that test! LOL
and the test was...... ?

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
and the test was...... ?

*TOP SECRET*

Nah! Just kidding! ;)

Experiment was an extra 8.6 g of Carbohydrate - 5.3 g of which was sugar in my pre-bed snack / meal. Conclusion is that the Starch to Sugar ratio needs to be the other way around?

Reactions: 4 people

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I've got several diff ones tho am sure most of you will have had peanut butter? Have got cashew nb, pistachio nb, hazelnut b wth cinnamon and hazelnut b wth chocolate......not to be confused wth choc hazelnut spread.... Hth....get them from seller on eBay

Are they organic? If they are any chance you can PM me a link to the eBay seller please?

Thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course.

Yes profile is up to date - only joined the 'club' in August and the forum in Dec. Diet and exercise only. I just thought that 4.5 was a reasonable controlled number?

Diet is very low carb - at the beginning of the year fasting was usually below 7 but sometimes just a tad over - I have reduced carbs (to under 20g pd) and this seems to have had the desired effect on the bloods. I am also low carbing to loose weight. Stalled at the beginning of the year again but now going down again nicely. Struggled to get enough fat down me but getting there.

And finally I am that tight on the carbs as I signed up to do the Brighton Marathon (for chariteeeee - NSPCC) on the 12th April - having never been a runner before so I want to be in optimum ketosis (as per Volek and Phinney - art and science of low carb performance and the whole being able to call on 40,000 cals of energy in ketosis rather than the traditional 2,000 cal that a person in glucosis has. This should enable me to fly past the 20 mile 'wall' Ha ha ha - 3 weeks to find out if the theory works!

Anyhow as well as testing bloods - am testing blood ketones and after a 10 mile run to day came in at 2.8 - happy with that.

So in answer to your question I'm trying to keep a reasonable balance between those 3 goals. Still loads to learn - for example I thought that a 227g steak was roughly 200g protein (add a bit to make up the fat) but only found other day that it's 22g per hundred - still trying to get my head around that one.

Cheers.

Good luck with the marathon. I take my hat off to you on that one!

Hopefully, your numbers will settle nice and low, and we both end up having a nice margin below diabetic levels.

S

Sable_Jan

Your numbers are brilliant recently... :joyful:
Thanks :). Think its down to less overall carbs in daytime. I do generally just keep the carbs low enuf to keep my meter happy ;) but is been even happier of late :D. Not deliberately, it's just been the foods I've fancied.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Clive I'm a little concerned that you may be giving the impression that a BS of 5.5 is detrimental when it is, in fact, within the non-diabetic range and I feel that it may unnecessarily worry people who are new and coming to terms with Diabetes. Many on here are already stressed re what they can and cannot eat, information overload etc and telling them that, even if they do get down to normal levels, it may still be harmful may stress them further for no reason.
4.4to 5.5 is considered normal bs's

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

Are they organic? If they are any chance you can PM me a link to the eBay seller please?

Thank you.
Afraid the nut butters aren't organic. The seller I use for my almond, coconut flour etc I have posted on your profile page. I can't see any nut butters on there but if you message them they may sell them off eBay?....

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you still taking Metformin, Maxwell?
Yes, still taking the Metformin. I feel it can only help, I have no noticeable side effects and I have read many positive things about useful additional benefits associated with taking it.

Maxwell

Reactions: 7 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@ Daphne &Clivethedrive,

Over here the definition of normal FBG seems to depend on the Sick Fund one belongs to.

Mine says its 70-100 mg/dl ie 3.9 to 5.555 mmoles/l. The other says 72mg- 108 mg/dl or 4-6 mmoles/l

The small differences really are just reflecting the different measurement units used by each system, ie mg/dl or mmoles/l

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 before dinner
4.7 after
5.1 fasting
I have stopped my medicines completely to seehow things go next few months. Metformin playing up too much. Not take it for more than a week. Might not be the best thing I havedone but I will take a chance for a month or so.

Reactions: 23 people
Status
Not open for further replies.