8-week Blood Sugar Diet

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why, if something works for so many others who have struggled to lose weight, would yu choose to save the experience for a rainy day? Would it be sensible to consider adopting such a lifestyle now and potentially stave off T2?

I am of the opinion that it is not possible to stave off T2D in my case, I am the only one left out, rest of all - young, old etc are T2D. I may be wrong in having such thought, but we do have strong T2D genes in our family. On this forum, I am seeing members going on metformin for a few years and then have to take injections. Which means, same level of treatment will not be useful over the years. Same thing happened to my parents too. My plan is to have these strategies such as LCHF diet etc when I really reach that point. Not sure if I am right or wrong. Did you come across someone who is non-T2D and adopted LCHF diet to stave off?

For those whose bodies very much tend to add weight, it can be a sign of insulin resistance, which tends to be prevalent in T2.
You are spot on here - yes, all my family folks got T2D and we are all basically insulin resistant. And then, my body has high tendencies of adding weight even at a slightest opportunity. I am doing all I can - exercises up to 400+ calories everyday; carbs almost <200g everyday. But I take 4 tables spoons of sugar into my coffees everyday - not sure if this is the problem. Avoiding excessive salt consumption. Only merit is - with all such diet+exercise measures, I am able to keep my weight as it is; though not able to further reduce it. Previously I was big; lost some loads of lbs.

Have you had any recent blood panels done? If you have, did they do an HbA1c test?
my HbA1c is 4.5 on Dec 22, 2015; fasting BS after 1 hr is 110. As usual our company Doc got upset as his estimations are not coming true. He wrote 'further tests' - dated June or July this year. I don't remember, got that paper in the office, now is weekend.

Feel free to write back, have one more question - if you folks do not get upsett

Let us suppose I am on LCHF diet. And let us say I did 400 calories worth exercise. Can I eat more carbs, like up to 100g following that exercise on that day?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am of the opinion that it is not possible to stave off T2D in my case, I am the only one left out, rest of all - young, old etc are T2D. I may be wrong in having such thought, but we do have strong T2D genes in our family. On this forum, I am seeing members going on metformin for a few years and then have to take injections. Which means, same level of treatment will not be useful over the years. Same thing happened to my parents too. My plan is to have these strategies such as LCHF diet etc when I really reach that point. Not sure if I am right or wrong. Did you come across someone who is non-T2D and adopted LCHF diet to stave off?

You are spot on here - yes, all my family folks got T2D and we are all basically insulin resistant. And then, my body has high tendencies of adding weight even at a slightest opportunity. I am doing all I can - exercises up to 400+ calories everyday; carbs almost <200g everyday. But I take 4 tables spoons of sugar into my coffees everyday - not sure if this is the problem. Avoiding excessive salt consumption. Only merit is - with all such diet+exercise measures, I am able to keep my weight as it is; though not able to further reduce it. Previously I was big; lost some loads of lbs.

my HbA1c is 4.5 on Dec 22, 2015; fasting BS after 1 hr is 110. As usual our company Doc got upset as his estimations are not coming true. He wrote 'further tests' - dated June or July this year. I don't remember, got that paper in the office, now is weekend.

Feel free to write back, have one more question - if you folks do not get upsett

Let us suppose I am on LCHF diet. And let us say I did 400 calories worth exercise. Can I eat more carbs, like up to 100g following that exercise on that day?

Bottom line is, in my view, if you decide not to trim your carbs now, you are creating a self-fulfilling scenario. There are people who have arrived here as prediabetic who have trimmed up, often using carb cutting and reduced their HbA1c scores out of the pre-diabetic ranges. How you you know what you could achieve if you decide not to bother.

How people who were diagnosed years ago manage their diabetes has been based on the Healthy Plate scheme of things - low fat and plenty of carbs. If they carry on largely the same, then it is more likely their condition will progress into further negative territory.

Why are you trying to lose weight? What is the objective of that?

I never, ever, ever add back food for exercise I have done. I am not a marathon runner, although I have the physique for it, I'm told. I keep moving most days and when away from home, my life is pretty physical. How are you calculating your exercise calories? MyFitnessPal is notoriously unreliable in that regard, although I do use it for my food diary.

Reactions: 4 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why are you trying to lose weight? What is the objective of that?
good questions to me; very useful; I do agree your points. I feel like I am walking on edge, I need to do something, so reading, asking etc. But diet is the issue with me; have been obese for some good years. Habits are hard to die.

How are you calculating your exercise calories? MyFitnessPal is notoriously unreliable in that regard, although I do use it for my food diary.
I use Garmin forerunner 15 with a Heart Rate monitor. The HR monitor is wrapped to my chest and Garmin FR15 is like a watch, sits on my hand. Calories, HR, distance even GPS everything is measured automatically. calorie measurement is supposed to be accurate as it the sensor directly sits on the chest itself as opposed to those wrist-based.

Used myfitnesspal only to know the calories, but cannot follow the advices out of it. I am putting on weight if I follow recommendations from it - says 1200 calories minimum.

One thing I forgot to add: If I go on fasting, especially skipping the dinner - then I am losing some weight. This is a recent observation, still need to observe more and ascertain. So this also suggests that I have a problem with my eating pattern. I used it for a while to understand the calories in the foods that I normally eat. Now I am using a phone app for doing the dairy, it is very easy; my daughter taught me how to use the smartphone with that app.

There are people who have arrived here as prediabetic who have trimmed up, often using carb cutting and reduced their HbA1c scores out of the pre-diabetic ranges.
yes, this is the category of folks I want to talk to and get some tips.

I never, ever, ever add back food for exercise I have done.
This is a good point. Let us say I walked for 1hour/ 500+ calories see below:
Dec0334.png

before workout - only a glass of coffee, with milk and sugar. After the workout - of course lot of water. Then 30 min later, breakfast - whole wheat bread - 2 pieces with peanut butter + cheddar cheese. myfitnesspal puts this as 480 calories or so. I am glad to know that you are familiar with myfitnesspal - see the screen below, I logged onto my account and did for you; so that you can comment:
Dec0335.png

so this is where I am, please comment - I am glad to get help ....

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with breathe on the carb score. Continuing to eat carbs will ultimately place you at greater risk of getting t2. Why risk it when there is more than enough evidence proving the link between carbs, bg and diabetes.

I think you need to have a rethink. X

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi NoCrbs4Me, I have a few questions nagging me re low carb diet. I would like to ask as you have been on VLC diet for long. These questions are for a normal person (NON - T2D) person; BMI below 24, low body fat which is 18%; but have a strong family history of T2D.
- This is me obviously. My carbs per day are around 200g presently.

1. Is there any harm a Non-T2D person takes up VLC diet [around 50g carb per day]?
2. I am now facing a weight loss plateau for more than 3 months. Whatever I do, my weight is simply constant. If I stop workouts or increase diet will increase my weight. Especially diet - it is 3 successive heavy meals = 4 lbs weight gain for me. Rice and potatoes are worst weight adders for me. Question: Does this inability to lose weight indicate onset of T2D?

3. On other hand I tried to gain weight deliberately; by doing weights and eating rice+potato - Could gain 4lbs quickly - out of which muscle weight added is about 75%; and fat weight is about 25%.

Basically my body is in a mood to add weight, no doubt about it. I am trying hard to cut my fat and of course weight also by a few more lbs. My plan is to save VLC and LCHF diets for future when I get the T2D finally.

Any insights?
1. Not that I know of. The Inuit ate virtually no carbs and were quite healthy.
2. Maybe.
3. Why not try a LCHF diet now? What are you afraid of? Besides, by the time you get the symptom of high blood glucose, you will have been insulin resistant for years and causing harm to your body with elevated insulin levels. Maybe you already have insulin resistance, but it hasn't progressed to elevated blood glucose yet. Besides, if you want to lose weight, LCHF is the easiest way, in my opinion.

Reactions: 10 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
LCHF is a way of life and should be better than your current diet for long term maintenance.
l understand your concern about the family trait, but they are all obese and you are not. If you maintain a low carb eating plan and your current weight you could very well never develop T2.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Mekalu my husband was diagnosed type 2 in 2009, he takes a little exercise but not much, and he eats low carb medium fat; he is still meds-free and HbA1c stays steady at 48 every year. So he's not cured but he's not getting any worse either.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Victorri Thanks for posting the information. Seems odd to me that a book about blood sugar management would not state carbs.

Me too!

I downloaded the Kindle version from Amazon last night and had a quick look. Cost me me under £3.50, and paperback versions from various other sellers are not much more.

I had hoped that Amazon would have a "Look Inside" option, but unfortunately not so.

It includes only calories per recipe and does NOT include carbs. Some of the recipes include ingredients I'd not eat at all - baked beans, raisins and dates, and other fruits that I'd approach with some caution. :eek: My first impression was that the recipes were varied and quite interesting, but I think some would probably work out rather expensive as they had fairly large numbers of "one off" fresh/perishable ingredients such as herbs which could be pricey unless you grew them yourself.

Robbity

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have put some of the recepies into my fitness pal and they come out higher for example the green tea and blueberry shake was 112 calories before I had even added the yogurt, yet it was saying it was a 100 calorie breakfast. I already count calories twice a week on the 5:2 so have carried on with my own menus. Not only is it cheaper but I trust the calorie count much more than the book

Reactions: 2 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why not try a LCHF diet now? What are you afraid of? Besides, by the time you get the symptom of high blood glucose, you will have been insulin resistant for years and causing harm to your body with elevated insulin levels.

Good morning and Thanks for the response. Points well taken. I am not afraid of trying LCHF or VLC diet. But definitely I am afraid of getting T2D, as I am now planning on a second career. Will retire from my job in next 3 years by that time, I will be 50yrs and then start a new career. So in a way, yes I am fearful, but not afraid of trying diets.

Maybe you already have insulin resistance, but it hasn't progressed to elevated blood glucose yet. Besides, if you want to lose weight, LCHF is the easiest way, in my opinion.

Yes, you are right. My BS readings may look fine; but my I know my body responses- I believe having insulin resistance for now. Will work on it.

Now one last question: I have posted my workout and diet in images. Is my daily diet is too high in calories? Is that amount of carbs is too high as well?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Me too!

I downloaded the Kindle version from Amazon last night and had a quick look. Cost me me under £3.50, and paperback versions from various other sellers are not much more.

I had hoped that Amazon would have a "Look Inside" option, but unfortunately not so.

It includes only calories per recipe and does NOT include carbs. Some of the recipes include ingredients I'd not eat at all - baked beans, raisins and dates, and other fruits that I'd approach with some caution. :eek: My first impression was that the recipes were varied and quite interesting, but I think some would probably work out rather expensive as they had fairly large numbers of "one off" fresh/perishable ingredients such as herbs which could be pricey unless you grew them yourself.

Robbity
Another thing I found odd from the examples kindly posted here, were the "handful" quantities. If the diet is about calorie restriction, then it would be more accurate to weigh the food - especially when measuring nuts and cheese which are very calorie dense.

Apart from that, it looks like a good idea that I may try one day. Like ND but with real food.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @mekalu2k4 when you posted further up "But I take 4 tables spoons of sugar into my coffees everyday" I wondered if that was a typo. That is around 50g of carbs in itself before you have eaten a single vegetable.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good questions to me; very useful; I do agree your points. I feel like I am walking on edge, I need to do something, so reading, asking etc. But diet is the issue with me; have been obese for some good years. Habits are hard to die.

I use Garmin forerunner 15 with a Heart Rate monitor. The HR monitor is wrapped to my chest and Garmin FR15 is like a watch, sits on my hand. Calories, HR, distance even GPS everything is measured automatically. calorie measurement is supposed to be accurate as it the sensor directly sits on the chest itself as opposed to those wrist-based.

Used myfitnesspal only to know the calories, but cannot follow the advices out of it. I am putting on weight if I follow recommendations from it - says 1200 calories minimum.

One thing I forgot to add: If I go on fasting, especially skipping the dinner - then I am losing some weight. This is a recent observation, still need to observe more and ascertain. So this also suggests that I have a problem with my eating pattern. I used it for a while to understand the calories in the foods that I normally eat. Now I am using a phone app for doing the dairy, it is very easy; my daughter taught me how to use the smartphone with that app.

yes, this is the category of folks I want to talk to and get some tips.

This is a good point. Let us say I walked for 1hour/ 500+ calories see below:
View attachment 17263

before workout - only a glass of coffee, with milk and sugar. After the workout - of course lot of water. Then 30 min later, breakfast - whole wheat bread - 2 pieces with peanut butter + cheddar cheese. myfitnesspal puts this as 480 calories or so. I am glad to know that you are familiar with myfitnesspal - see the screen below, I logged onto my account and did for you; so that you can comment:
View attachment 17264

so this is where I am, please comment - I am glad to get help ....

There are some fundamental issues you have to address here.

You say eating habits die hard. Of course they are! Particularly if we are comfort eating, or eating foodstuffs we may have some form of dependency of. By dependency I mean in an addiction sort of way. For example, someone once explained to me, when I was suffering from an unidentified food intolerance, that it can be useful to tackle or favourite foods head on, because sometimes that we feel they are favourites is about addressing a dependence on them, like addiction. And often we can become intolerant of those foods because we eat so much of them. For me, I had terrible symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, but tested negatively for it. It transpired I was no longer able to eat oranges or tomatoes - 2 foods I loved at the time. Having given them up for some time, I could eat them again without suffering the same symptoms. I had sort of become allergic to them.

Secondly, what makes you feel that these food issues, will be any easier to deal with when you are already diagnosed as suffering from a condition that may have been "encouraged" by eating them in the first place? That really is a big question for you to address. Right now you can take a structured approach to it. After a diagnosis, you could be shepherded down the medication route very quickly, and surely we all want to avoid meds where we can?

Personally, at the moment, I think you just don't want to give up the carbs. It's not a snipe or any form of insult to you, it's very common and quite natural. Who would want to give up potatoes, rice or whatever, unless they had a great reason to do it?

And finally, if you are adding back calories to your eating regime from exercise, you may be just stalling your weight loss every time you do it. Who knows exactly how accurate your nutritional gizmo is, or indeed how accurate your calorie counting and portion control is. Again, no insult, just that you are introducing variables you needn't. As I say, I never, ever add calories for those expended when exercising.

When I was diagnosed, I wanted to sort out my blood sugars. I didn't set out to lose weight, but did admit a bit of trimming up would be nice. What actually happened was that by trimming up on carbs, any excess weight I was carrying just fell off.

I accept I am extremely fortunate to be very well and fit, and have a body that seems to work fairly well, once I had taken the strain of the higher glucose levels out of the equation. Clearly not everyone is that lucky.

But, what I am reading at the moment is you tinkering around the edges of your objective.

Please don't be offended by this post, I am replying frankly and honestly to what you have written and my interpretation of it.

Reactions: 10 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too!

Robbity

I agree with you too an extent, but this book appears to be a variation on the Newcastle Diet (ND), which only talks about calories, and the shakes used by Professor Taylor in his early studies were not exactly low carb options.

The vast majority of folks will lose decent quantities of weight on 800 calories a day. Professor Taylor's work is all about dropping weight and de-fatting the internal organise, which this broadly similar, real food variant on the ND is likely to achieve.

My take on this book is it is trying to gain a wider acceptance in the general public.

Reactions: 12 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Now one last question: I have posted my workout and diet in images. Is my daily diet is too high in calories? Is that amount of carbs is too high as well?

I'm probably not the best person to ask since I think any amount of carbs is too much and I don't worry about calories.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you maintain a low carb eating plan and your current weight you could very well never develop T2.
Well, this is my hope too.

By dependency I mean in an addiction sort of way.
For now, I am still addicted to coffee. Few years back, I used to consume 15 cups of coffee [milk+sugar+nescafe]; now it is down to 2 cups per day. I will try to bring it to 1 cup per day.

suffering from an unidentified food intolerance, that it can be useful to tackle or favourite foods head on... ...... like addiction..........................Who would want to give up potatoes, rice or whatever, unless they had a great reason to do it?
I am a vegan since I was born; predominantly rice eater 3 times a day. However over last 5 years, I gradually cut rice consumption. These days, I get rice only when I spend 500+ calories in one session - which is my personal rule; and that happens twice a week only. Apart from coffee, I do not repeat other food items. I rotate kidney beans, sprouts, vegetables, fruits. My protein comes from whey protein powder. Results are good, but apparently I need to cut some more to reach my set objectives. Over Xmas I ate three meals loaded with rice and potatoes - that weight is now gone almost. But bottom line is food is the issue with me.

Please don't be offended by this post, I am replying frankly and honestly to what you have written and my interpretation of it.
Yes, I am happy to get advise. There is nothing offensive here. At the end, it is me who has to take control of matters. There are other factors, but I do not want to blame on those; the point is how fast I can change my diet and keep it going.

You did not comment on my food, pic from myfitnesspal - like is it too many calories? or number of calories are fine, but carbs are more etc.??

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Maybe it's a language thing, but cheddar, milk, raita, eggs and whey would not be considered part of a vegan diet in the UK. Just putting that out there :)

Good luck with whatever you do. I don't believe carb cutting would do anyone any harm whether they are at risk of diabetes or not. Many (not all) of the foods containing starch and sugar do not have much to offer nutritionally anyway and are often just fillers.

Reactions: 8 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Maybe it's a language thing, but cheddar, milk, raita, eggs and whey would not be considered part of a vegan diet in the UK. Just putting that out there

yes it is language issue. English is my 4th, started learning when I was 17, after I joined university. We use the word 'vegetarian' not really the word 'vegan'. My entire town back in India is vegetarian, where the usual diet consists of milk and milk products apart from plant based food. But after coming to west I had to add eggs to my diet based on doc's advice.

Few people I know, are lacto-veg or something; they won't eat cheese, milk, raita, eggs etc. Then last month I came across a person who is about 6' 6'' tall and former NBA guy. For some reasons, he turned into veg diet, probably the strictest form that I ever heard. He won't eat anything that grows under the earth - like potatoes, carrots etc. But he is doing fine, now a fitness coach - works about 10 hours a day now. His definition of 'vegan' is different.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I understand now. I try to avoid potatoes and carrots too, but only because they don't like me :blackeye:

Reactions: 2 people