A little help please?

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep finding myself really hungry between meals. I tend to try to ignore it and focus on something else but it's not been working these past few days, any suggestions on what I can do?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eat more meals!!

Most of us have similar issues which is why we eat more than 3 meals a day. Of course, you have to reduce your portion sizes accordingly to avoid eating too many calories. I eat 6-7 times a day as it's much more effective than only 3.

Reactions: 2 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What are you eating for the meals?

Fats and proteins can stop hunger pangs, carbohydrates can increase them. In some people.

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eat more meals!!

Most of us have similar issues which is why we eat more than 3 meals a day. Of course, you have to reduce your portion sizes accordingly to avoid eating too many calories. I eat 6-7 times a day as it's much more effective than only 3.

I've only had diabetes for almost 2 months and I've been advised to stick to 3 meals a day by my doctor.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had diabetes for almost 2 months and I've been advised to stick to 3 meals a day by my doctor.
That does shed some light on the situation.

Your doctor may be doing that to teach you how to carb count. Hopefully, that's what you're being taught rather than the older method called the sliding scale.

Your recent diagnosis may also explain your hunger. Did you lose a lot of weight prior to your diagnosis? I certainly did and after I was diagnosed I was insanely hungry all the time as my body was trying to recover from what I had lost (mostly muscle).

Can you share a bit more about the approach your doctor recommended for you? It would be helpful to better understand what you're learning at the moment.

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That does shed some light on the situation.

Your doctor may be doing that to teach you how to carb count. Hopefully, that's what you're being taught rather than the older method called the sliding scale.

Your recent diagnosis may also explain your hunger. Did you lose a lot of weight prior to your diagnosis? I certainly did and after I was diagnosed I was insanely hungry all the time as my body was trying to recover from what I had lost (mostly muscle).

Can you share a bit more about the approach your doctor recommended for you? It would be helpful to better understand what you're learning at the moment.

I lost a lot of weight, I was shedding it probably as much as I was breathing but funnily enough I hadn't realised and my mum pointed it out.

I can't remember the exact words my doctor said to me, but he did point out that I have to stick to three meals a day and he did say that I may find myself feeling quite hungry between meals so I could snack if I wanted to so long as my snacks were no more that 15g of carbohydrates.

Cashers12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had this same issue. I've found carrot sticks and hummus quite handy. If I'm out and about I grab a coffee or Diet Coke to stave off the hunger for a bit. It was worse my first month but seems to have settled now. Hopefully it will for you too!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your body is likely attempting to rebuild itself after all the weight you lost. While on first impression, the weight loss may have seemed like a good thing (that is if you had any weight to lose), your body was likely attacking your muscle in an attempt to feed itself.

I lost 30-40 pounds prior to my diagnosis and lost several inches in my arm and leg size. After I started on insulin, I gained a great deal of that weight back as my body was finally able to feed itself properly.

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your body is likely attempting to rebuild itself after all the weight you lost. While on first impression, the weight loss may have seemed like a good thing (that is if you had any weight to lose), your body was likely attacking your muscle in an attempt to feed itself.

I lost 30-40 pounds prior to my diagnosis and lost several inches in my arm and leg size. After I started on insulin, I gained a great deal of that weight back as my body was finally able to feed itself properly.

Update:

I had my first clinic appointment yesterday and mentioned my extreme hungerness and now I can have extra meals which should be great. Thanks for your help :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are/were you on set bolus dosages (quick acting insulin)? As I suspect that's why the doc wanted you to have just 3 meals a day.

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are/were you on set bolus dosages (quick acting insulin)? As I suspect that's why the doc wanted you to have just 3 meals a day.

Yeah I was for a while for then I was able to work out how much insulin to do for each meal for a bit but I've only just been able to do extra meals.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app