Am I diabetic?

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
New diagnosis, diabetic nurse is lovely. I have been pre diabetic for 2 years. I was not over weight but I have lost a bit of weight. I am just a little bit confused and in denial that I am diabetic.
Nurse said x 2 BMs 7.1 and 7.6 (I think) is a diagnosis. I was given a pack and nurse is going to refer on to other services. No medication needed. Would I have symptoms with these BMs I have been tired and had blurred vision. I have another appointment with Nurse next month.
Thank you for your help.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome :) It sounds like you are because your BGL was over 7 both times. I'm glad your nurse is helping you out. I'll tag @daisy1 to give you the welcome info to the forum. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: BKW and zand

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50shades - Copy.png
light green non-diabetic, light yellow pre-diabetic and all the nuances of orange and red are diabetic levels ... look at the lowest of the four boxes in each line to see the instant measured blood levels... and at the two top lines to read the HbA1c levels which is the long term average level.... measuring the last 3 months levels of blood glucose in blood

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and BKW

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and yes some has symptoms at the level you are on , but if you go low carb and get control, you´ll soon have almost normal levels and probably all your symptoms will go back to normal health, but this is a condition we have to take serious longterm also so if we will not risk becomming more and more ill from adding conditions we have to change eating style , and also if possible start moving a lot more as a sedentive lifestyle also promotes worsening of diabetes.. but many do allredy exercise or go for long walks daily or both, long walks are actually one of the best ways to help blood glucose to lower.

the main thing to do is to count the number of grams of carbs you eat in a day and get that number down to 100 grams a day and then see if that is low enough or maybe go even lower.. many people when going on 50 grams of carbs a day start to loose all their overweight... that is good if one has overweight...

in the information @daisy1 will give here there is a link to an online education videos on how to eat low carb style

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and BKW

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 22964 light green non-diabetic, light yellow pre-diabetic and all the nuances of orange and red are diabetic levels ... look at the lowest of the four boxes in each line to see the instant measured blood levels... and at the two top lines to read the HbA1c levels which is the long term average level.... measuring the last 3 months levels of blood glucose in blood
Thank you for your help.

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and yes some has symptoms at the level you are on , but if you go low carb and get control, you´ll soon have almost normal levels and probably all your symptoms will go back to normal health, but this is a condition we have to take serious longterm also so if we will not risk becomming more and more ill from adding conditions we have to change eating style , and also if possible start moving a lot more as a sedentive lifestyle also promotes worsening of diabetes.. but many do allredy exercise or go for long walks daily or both, long walks are actually one of the best ways to help blood glucose to lower.

the main thing to do is to count the number of grams of carbs you eat in a day and get that number down to 100 grams a day and then see if that is low enough or maybe go even lower.. many people when going on 50 grams of carbs a day start to loose all their overweight... that is good if one has overweight...

in the information Daisy1 will give here there is a link to an online education videos on how to eat low carb style
Thank you that sounds like a good plan.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me being quite frankly fat, weight and high blood glucose levels are not interlinked in my mind.
If you eat low carb foods then you should see normal blood glucose.
You can be fat thin or middling and still be, or not be diabetic, there is no cause and effect, even though there is a strong belief that being overweight causes diabetes and also that fat people deserve some sort of punishment for being so wicked.

Reactions: James13

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me being quite frankly fat, weight and high blood glucose levels are not interlinked in my mind.
You can be fat thin or middling and still be, or not be diabetic, there is no cause and effect, even though there is a strong belief that being overweight causes diabetes and also that fat people deserve some sort of punishment for being so wicked.

The problem about being fat is that most very obese stop moving enough and This leads to muscles that become more insuline resistent which is not helping diabetes and also when body is not being used the bones loose its density much earlier in life which can also lead to much easier Breaking bones and the spine imploding so I do not write This to fat shame anyone just to help

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP isn't overweight - and I suspected that was part of what is puzzling - there is a belief that diabetes as linked to being overweight.

Reactions: BKW

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The OP isn't overweight - and I suspected that was part of what is puzzling - there is a belief that diabetes as linked to being overweight.

Yes, people seem to forget that don't they. I have family members with type 2 who have never been overweight in their life. In fact I am the only one that's got weight issues that fluctuates and the biggest I've been is 16 stone and I'm 5 ft 8.... I'm the biggest lady in my family in fact at the moment. The rest of them are shorter than me and very slim. Being overweight is only a precursor to type 2 and just one of the precursors and not the sole precursor like people think it is. Also lack of education and what the media publicise about type 2 has lead to the misconception. So yes you can definitely have type 2 and not be overweight at all.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@BKW

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information, mentioned above, we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Anything you want to know, just ask and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would just add my usual point that a few newly diagnosed although they may not be young will be Late onset T1; more true if they are not overweight. Although a low-carb diet etc will always help, medication will be needed leading eventually to insulin. They will not have much insulin resistance if any but will have low insulin output.

Reactions: BKW

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I would just add my usual point that a few newly diagnosed although they may not be young will be Late onset T1; more true if they are not overweight. Although a low-carb diet etc will always help, medication will be needed leading eventually to insulin. They will not have much insulin resistance if any but will have low insulin output.

yes this is an important point to know.. low carb or no carb can not control type 1 diabetes .

Reactions: BKW and azure

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I was feeling guilty. I have tried for two years to avoid diagnosis. I dont think the media help.

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, people seem to forget that don't they. I have family members with type 2 who have never been overweight in their life. In fact I am the only one that's got weight issues that fluctuates and the biggest I've been is 16 stone and I'm 5 ft 8.... I'm the biggest lady in my family in fact at the moment. The rest of them are shorter than me and very slim. Being overweight is only a precursor to type 2 and just one of the precursors and not the sole precursor like people think it is. Also lack of education and what the media publicise about type 2 has lead to the misconception. So yes you can definitely have type 2 and not be overweight at all.
Thank you for your reply. Its difficult to explain to some people and you say it very well.

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BKW

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information, mentioned above, we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Anything you want to know, just ask and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.
Thank you for the information. I have an appointment with my diabetic nurse next month so will go with some useful question now.

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BKW
In my opinion in regards to T2D is:

1) Insulin resistance combined with high glucose combined with high levels of insulin over a long period of time results in the accumulation of fat.
2) An obese person with a large pancreas does not mean they will be diabetic.
3) A normal or slightly overweight person with a small pancreas can be diabetic.

So what can #3 do to bring their diabetes under control? It seems to me three things:

1) reduce the sugar coming in by eating low carb and keeping protein normal
2) increase sugar burning with exercise. fat to be the main energy source
3) Increase muscle size to decrease insulin resistance to absorb more glucose and lower the body’s IR setpoint

By reducing the circulating bloodstream’s glucose/sugar, then the HbA1c has no choice but to come down.
Thank you that is very good to know. I have changed jobs and there is not so much walking now but I make sure I always use the stairs. I do walk a lot but will look at doing more exercise.

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you that is good to know.