BBC1 EastEnders - Type 2 Diabetes story line?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I watch 'Stenders, There is a story line developing with Ian Beale finally agreeing to go for a Health Check. He has been putting on weight around his middle, and going for a wee 3 or 4 times a night. Tonight he went to see his Practice Nurse for the check up and she wanted to refer him to the GP. Back home he is being a bit cagey about how it went, but appears worried.

So my guess is he is going to be diagnosed as T2 diabetic. Will the BBC be pushing standard NHS advice and the Eatwell Plate or will he go LCHF? :nailbiting:
I don't watch Eastenders, but when I saw a thread on Digital Spy Forums recently titled "Too much tossing causes Ian to pass out," I had to click on it obviously. People over there are also suspecting diabetes. He must have caught it during the high carb pancake tossing race or something. Will follow the storyline with interest now :watching::nurse:

Reactions: Prem51

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't watch soaps either but I will be following developments (as reported on here) with interest. T2 has to be the obvious culprit; he's a bit young for a dodgy prostate, though I suppose they could heighten the drama and uncertainty by having the Quack get his rubber gloves on..... :D :D

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well Ian thinks it's his heart, as he is 48 and his father died at 48 of a heart attack. He's made a Will in last night's episode.
Will he be relieved when he gets round to contacting his GP for the blood test results if it is T2 diabetes?

Last edited:
Reactions: 13lizanne

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Lord No! :) He'll be convinced that his feet are going and he'll go blind that's between hypo comas of course. The nice lefties at BBC will want to educate us to the horrors of type 2 instead of all the positives. I wonder who their advisors on this will be? Hmmmm!

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lord No! :) He'll be convinced that his feet are going and he'll go blind that's between hypo comas of course. The nice lefties at BBC will want to educate us to the horrors of type 2 instead of all the positives. I wonder who their advisors on this will be? Hmmmm!
I suspect it will be more about educating people on the importance of not developing it in the first place, tbh. I'm sure that the Beeb have researched the topic thoroughly - previous storylines about serious illness have attracted praise from all sides. I'm guessing that they have taken info from a number of sources including the NHS, Diabetes UK and even - shock horror - us lot. In any event, I doubt that they will go into massive detail about the Eatwell Plate versus lchf controversy, or, indeed, any other hot topics. They won't have time to go into that level of detail and I suspect that, aside from the occasional reference to diet, exercise and possibly medication, it will be more "I wish I hadn't....." than "now I'm going to blitz some cauliflower and wash it down with a cream-and-butter reinforced coffee" :D

One of the advantages of soaps is that storylines can run for years. If Ian doesn't look after himself, and see a podiatrist regularly, then in ten years' time we might get a toe amputation saga but it won't be any time soon, you mark my words .... ;)

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS Why, oh why are people so convinced that the BBC is left-wing? I would be genuinely interested to know, because it always seems to be scrupulously balanced between left and right to me, in line with their Charter.

Incidentally, I'm afraid "Because the Daily Wail says so" is not a valid argument. :D

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'll ignore the fact that you linked my comment with reading the Daily Mail, and the implication :) My belief is based on my personal observations and on information from a friend who is employed by BBC. p.s I am an 'i' reader

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
PS Why, oh why are people so convinced that the BBC is left-wing? I would be genuinely interested to know, because it always seems to be scrupulously balanced between left and right to me, in line with their Charter.

Incidentally, I'm afraid "Because the Daily Wail says so" is not a valid argument. :D
And there was no need to turn a pleasant chatty thread into something personal. Will you rate this "funny" also?

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll ignore the fact that you linked my comment with reading the Daily Mail, and the implication :) My belief is based on my personal observations and on information from a friend who is employed by BBC. p.s I am an 'i' reader
Fair dos :)

I have several friends who work at the Beeb and they cover a wide political spectrum. At least one of them is several goose-steps to the right of Attilla the Hun :D

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And there was no need to turn a pleasant chatty thread into something personal. Will you rate this "funny" also?
I'm sorry if you thought that's what I was doing, but I wasn't. Your reply seemed light-hearted to me (it included a smiley, after all), and I reacted accordingly.

I'd better withdraw from this conversation.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Does Ian still own that greasy spoon "caff?" Perhaps he will stop selling fry-ups and switch to healthy breakfast cereals with low fat milk. I am just guessing here that he has diabetes and that DUK will be the advisers. My bad :bag:

C

chris lowe

I only just started watching EE last year. The only other soap I watch is River City, being a Scottish lady it's my favourite. I think that you are spot on about Ian's plotline though.

Especially as he's just eaten a whole box of jam donuts

C

chris lowe

Anyway, what's the betting that Ian Beale will end up on "insulin" and have a couple of dramatic hypo-type episodes but he will just eat his weetabix and everything will be OK 2 weeks later. Just remembered about Tracy Barlow's 1994 kidney transplant - ain't science wonderful!

You must put away your old & cynical head & put your happy head on wurzel

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont watch EE, find it too depressing. I'll be watching this thread though to see how the story pans out with Ian.

As for comments on soaps and medical beds tis true, they get their own bed in a private room, no sharing. Lucky old dears

C

chris lowe

I dont watch EE, find it too depressing. I'll be watching this thread though to see how the story pans out with Ian.

As for comments on soaps and medical beds tis true, they get their own bed in a private room, no sharing. Lucky old dears

Not only do they get their own room, they get whisked off for tests scans & x rays, no queues in the corridors or waiting for hours in ambulance

D

debrasue

Well it's nice that everyone admitted to Weatherfield General gets a private room!
At our new, super-dooper, multi-storey, state-of-the-art local NHS hospital 85% of patients are allocated a private room. Parking is a nightmare though, you have to walk miles once inside the hospital, waiting lists are like the proverbial 'piece of string', and although the hospital opened last summer, it is still in a state of total chaos!

C

chris lowe

At our new, super-dooper, multi-storey, state-of-the-art local NHS hospital 85% of patients are allocated a private room. Parking is a nightmare though, you have to walk miles once inside the hospital, waiting lists are like the proverbial 'piece of string', and although the hospital opened last summer, it is still in a state of total chaos!

And no doubt costing NHS a fortune in PFI fees