BBC1 EastEnders - Type 2 Diabetes story line?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I watch 'Stenders, There is a story line developing with Ian Beale finally agreeing to go for a Health Check. He has been putting on weight around his middle, and going for a wee 3 or 4 times a night. Tonight he went to see his Practice Nurse for the check up and she wanted to refer him to the GP. Back home he is being a bit cagey about how it went, but appears worried.

So my guess is he is going to be diagnosed as T2 diabetic. Will the BBC be pushing standard NHS advice and the Eatwell Plate or will he go LCHF? :nailbiting:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well at least they are raising the profile of T2 diabetes, so maybe more of the many as yet undiagnosed people will become aware that they might have it and get medical advice.

Reactions: chris lowe

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I know that when Carole had her cancer story suddenly people could talk to me and actually mention cancer without stuttering or going red in the face. So, I think that you are right prem it will help people recognise their symptoms and take them seriously. Which can only be a good thing :) Hopefully they will then find this site

C

chris lowe

I thought same as everyone else, but anything is better than ongoing storylines that are getting boring. Look forward to sitting here picking holes in storyline. Wonder if Ian will find the diabetes uk site & forums?

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In the last episode, having been persuaded by his wife to start dieting, he abandoned the cheese he was going to eat, which would have been ok for a T2 diabetic.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, I noted that too, looks like it's going to be the Eatwell plate after all

C

chris lowe

Looks like we'll find out tomorrow after last nights pancake race incident

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, zzzzzzzzzz. This will, no doubt, turn out to be yet another case where the protagonist contracts a serious disease/condition, the story line is milked and then is miraculously ignored...remember Mark Fowler with "TV AIDS", Jim Macdonald with his amazing self-healing broken back, Nick Tillsley with the intermittent brain injury etc., etc., etc......just tools to inject a bit of controversy into flagging plot lines rather than genuine attempts to demonstrate a bit of empathy or understanding. In all probability it will all be forgotten about in a couple of months just after Phil is abducted by aliens, no doubt......

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You are not cynical at all, are you?:) :)

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange you should say that- I just yearn for a simpler time,with no bloody silly subplots that never go anywhere - I mean Weatherfield a hotbed of cocaine dealing??? Do me a favour, it was more exciting when Norris underordered the Weatherfield Gazzette....and what was that business with Mary and the "chainsaw incident"??? We need to be told. And don't get me going about Amy Turtle!

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My own favorite was Boon. Firemen, canal boats, motorbikes and Brummies. Reality in a nutshell. What was not to like? That was literally my life for 4 years - spookily close to home.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well it's nice that everyone admitted to Weatherfield General gets a private room!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Strange you should say that- I just yearn for a simpler time,with no bloody silly subplots that never go anywhere - I mean Weatherfield a hotbed of cocaine dealing??? Do me a favour, it was more exciting when Norris underordered the Weatherfield Gazzette....and what was that business with Mary and the "chainsaw incident"??? We need to be told. And don't get me going about Amy Turtle!
Weatherfield? Amy Tuttle? Where? Who? I don't remember them on EastEnders?

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weatherfield? Amy Tuttle? Where? Who? I don't remember them on EastEnders?
1. Corrie. 2. Crossroads - from beyond the grave - the original "wobbly wall" soap - it was about a motel in"Kings Oak" supposedly near Brum. For a laugh, Google "Miss Diane", "Benny" and "Meg Richardson". You'll never be the same again.

PS - I forgot "David Hunter". "Benny" was the prototype "David Stockwell" off Heartbeat....wot goes around, comes around.....

Last edited:

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah! I don't watch Corrie, but I'll have a look at your Kings Oak suggestions I can always do with a laugh :)

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyway, what's the betting that Ian Beale will end up on "insulin" and have a couple of dramatic hypo-type episodes but he will just eat his weetabix and everything will be OK 2 weeks later. Just remembered about Tracy Barlow's 1994 kidney transplant - ain't science wonderful!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I only just started watching EE last year. The only other soap I watch is River City, being a Scottish lady it's my favourite. I think that you are spot on about Ian's plotline though.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well it seems London is the same. Everyone (including Phil Mitchell) gets a private room in Walford General. Obviously no trollies in corridors there.

Last edited: