Blood Glucose Advice

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am trying LCHF. I am still playing about with my food trying to get the right balance. My last effort was 6.6 before meal and 7.9 2hrs after first bite. Although it did take me half an hour to eat my meal so I don't know if I'm testing at the right time? I would like my post meal reading to be the same as my pre meal reading but without starving myself (I have lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks). Is this possible or am I asking too much? I am not on medication at the moment my DN wants me to try controlling it by diet first.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You're going to get some rise with any food, those numbers are fine if you're just starting, with just a 1.3 rise after 2 hours, well done.

Mostly we try and keep below 7.8 2 hours after eating. Taking half an hour to eat, or even more, is fine.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I am going to try a few carbs less tomorrow, to see what happens. It's the carbs/fat/protein balance I'm struggling to get my head around, and how different foods interact with each other.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Eurobuff, post: 569576, member: 113391" I would like my post meal reading to be the same as my pre meal reading but without starving myself (I have lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks). Is this possible or am I asking too much? I am not on medication at the moment my DN wants me to try controlling it by diet first.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/QUOTE]

I am on medication and a LCHF diet, and sometimes over the last month - but not always - I've had very close readings both before and after meals, after can also be a bit lower ( :wideyed:! ), and on a few very good days they stay fairly level all day. I've not aimed for these readings, but count them as a nice bonus when they happen! I mainly want to get my levels down a bit more as I started off quite nicely then had a bad four months with higher levels than I was happy with! But remember that your meter isn't always 100% consistent, so your readings are never going to be so, either.

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The same thing is happening to me at the moment I started out OK but lately my blood sugars are high, I just need to get more control of what I am eating

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My problems were mainly due to a series of minor health problems, plus my tum objecting to one brand of metformin, all of which stressed me out. I can see my glucose levels reducing somewhat now that I'm feeling better.

Robbity

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good that you are reducing your blood sugars and feeling better in the process

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Be strong, things will settle down, your blood levels will slowly drop if you don't waver. Try to eat regularly and test to see if you have a reaction. It's a marathon not a sprint and once you get your levels down and maintain it, you will feel much better with yourself! You are changing your life style for the better!

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're going to get some rise with any food, those numbers are fine if you're just starting, with just a 1.3 rise after 2 hours, well done.

Mostly we try and keep below 7.8 2 hours after eating. Taking half an hour to eat, or even more, is fine.

Ok so what did I do wrong? I've eaten less carbs, but my BG has gone up? Yesterday it went by 1.3 but today it's gone up by 2?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Depends on lots of factors
What you ate
What your start bloods were
Time of day
Some folks go higher in hot weather (was it more humid)
Did you get stressed for any reason (stress = glucose)
You may not have cleaned your prick finger enough, may have left soap or some debris (glucose/food etc) on the prick site
Different finger may have given a different reading
Food is never the same amount every day
And thats just off the top of my head....

So the important thing is to keep going don't get stressed over the odd high reading.

Today my post lunch l was 7.8 @2 hrs my sin was a small apple.l cussed a lot drank a lot of water, peed a lot and at 3 hrs was 6 the odd high is fine and when experimenting to be expected. :)

My only problem with the whole situation was that the blasted boss had been to the loo and left the seat up. l was lost in thought sat down...and kept going :confused:

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You haven't done nowt wrong. Rises can be nominal, 2 is fine. It depends on what you eat and what you do since eating because exercise drops blood levels. I think you are doing well, let things settle down until your next test. You have to have some carbs like you get in vegetables, but do without the baddies in bread etc. low GI food is alright for you as long as it doesn't send you hyper.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops! My readings yesterday were 6.6 before eating ate 26g Carbs, 7.9 after eating. Today readings were 5.3 before, ate 20g carbs, 7.3 after eating. By today's readings, it seems I'm doing something wrong. I don't want it going up by 3 points tomorrow?

Actually I remember, although I didn't "excercise" yesterday. I was carrying and install a new DVD recorder and crawling about behind the telly. Does this count?

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You haven't done nowt wrong. Rises can be nominal, 2 is fine. It depends on what you eat and what you do since eating because exercise drops blood levels. I think you are doing well, let things settle down until your next test. You have to have some carbs like you get in vegetables, but do without the baddies in bread etc. low GI food is alright for you as long as it doesn't send you hyper.

I've cut out all the baddies, but I've read that oatcakes are low GI, and had a couple of them, I wonder if they're not a good idea?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
It all counts you would be surprised at what does at the moment it is all new as Nosher says you are doing well don't get to hung up. Apart from anything it is very early days and your body is still getting used to the fact it isnt getting the carbs it used to. And may well be doing a bit of liver dump to try to up things. I understand it can take up to 6 months for the bodys systems to balance everything out (that includes cholesterol)
If you want can put up what you ate on the 2 days that gave the readings and folks can have a mooch see if anything stands out :)

As to oatcakes what are the carb values on the back of the packet they usually say/biscuit.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can't eat oatcakes, too many carbs, they are a grain, even though they are good dietary food for non diabetics, they would spike me if I didn't take my meds. You just have to test and see what works. Everyone is different. Get some recipes or base your diet on meat and low GI veg. If you are on a LCHF diet don't forget the fat part as this replaces what you need.
One other recommendations is to have your food, but in very small portions. Everything in more action.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Oat cakes are like a minor devil. still bad but not as bad. Most grains are bad. Some worse than others.
Basically any grain product rice and potatoes =BAD.
Very small amounts are ok with me. Some can take a bit more.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all counts you would be surprised at what does at the moment it is all new as Nosher says you are doing well don't get to hung up. Apart from anything it is very early days and your body is still getting used to the fact it isnt getting the carbs it used to. And may well be doing a bit of liver dump to try to up things. I understand it can take up to 6 months for the bodys systems to balance everything out (that includes cholesterol)
If you want can put up what you ate on the 2 days that gave the readings and folks can have a mooch see if anything stands out :)

As to oatcakes what are the carb values on the back of the packet they usually say/biscuit.

Ok here goes

Monday = tuna, 2 celery sticks, low fat yoghurt (ACTIMEL 0% -), handful of almonds, 4 crackers with peanut butter, chunk of Wensleydale cheese, with a diet cream soda (26.3g Carbs)

Tuesday = pork scratchings (50g), 4 slices of chicken breast, 2 celery sticks with Philadelphia cheese inside, Edam cheese, 4 oatcakes with peanut butter (21.8g Carbs)

The oatcakes have 5.8g carbs, 0.9g Fibre = net carbs 4.9

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Ok here goes

Monday = tuna, 2 celery sticks, low fat yoghurt (ACTIMEL 0% -), handful of almonds, 4 crackers with peanut butter, chunk of Wensleydale cheese, with a diet cream soda (26.3g Carbs)

Tuesday = pork scratchings (50g), 4 slices of chicken breast, 2 celery sticks with Philadelphia cheese inside, Edam cheese, 4 oatcakes with peanut butter (21.8g Carbs)

The oatcakes have 5.8g carbs, 0.9g Fibre = net carbs 4.9

The crackers and oatcakes are not good.
Full fat yoghurt is better.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat oatcakes, too many carbs, they are a grain, even though they are good dietary food for non diabetics, they would spike me if I didn't take my meds. You just have to test and see what works. Everyone is different. Get some recipes or base your diet on meat and low GI veg. If you are on a LCHF diet don't forget the fat part as this replaces what you need.
One other recommendations is to have your food, but in very small portions. Everything in more action.

Re meat, I'd read that protein turns to sugar, so best of replacing with fat? When I stArted to cut the carbs down originally, I didn't replace it with anything, so my calorie intake dropped to about 700 per day, and I lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks. I am my right weight now, and don't want to lose any more, so I've tried replacing with fat to make up the calories.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry, bloody pads just thrown the post out in gobbledeegook.

No need to worry you are doing fine. Just have a look at the carbs, if the carb count per hundred grams is over five, don't have it.

Keep looking at the recipes and at all the diets and find one that suits you.