Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

scottie1

Just by posting you have helped Daddy :)

So, I need to reduce my protein, that will be hard. I normally have around 400 calories left per day but I am managing well on it.

Thank you.

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Has milk got any carbs?
Hi Scottie, I know your post concerning milk is a little old now, but to allow myself to still have porridge with milk I use unsweetened soya milk. Cant stand in in hot drinks but in porridge I cant taste the difference

Reactions: 2 people

scottie1

Hi Scottie, I know your post concerning milk is a little old now, but to allow myself to still have porridge with milk I use unsweetened soya milk. Cant stand in in hot drinks but in porridge I cant taste the difference

I might try that then, thank you.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just by posting you have helped Daddy :)

So, I need to reduce my protein, that will be hard. I normally have around 400 calories left per day but I am managing well on it.

Thank you.
Scottie I haven't said reduce your protein, I'm concerned how few calories and carbs your having.
A diet that low in calories, 800 is usually monitored like the Newcastle Diet, maybe @Andrew Colvin or @pip could give you some advice.

I hope you don't mind me including you guys.

Neil

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Muggle & Scottie,
I have learnt something this morning.
My breakfast is alway porridge made with water, some times with a little youhurt on top.
Can not face eggs in the morning, and I don't think yoghurt and a couple of berries would fill me up.
So, at 8.15am my bs was 7.7
Porridge with a little cream on top.
No walk with dog due to snow, I fell on some ice a few weeks ago so don't like going out if there is any snow or ice around.

10.50am. My bs is now 11.00
Thats not good, reason no walk with dog.

Wash up breakfast things, and then a shower.
11.55 my bs is now 7.2. That's better.

My point is, it looks like, if I just sit and watch morning tv, my bs is not good.
Just doing a little house work and having a shower works.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

It's good to see you more postive Muggle, you must be feeling better. Enjoy your peaceful day.

BG on waking was 20.2, but I am not going to dwell on that, just will take note of my readings after food.

I haven't had any breakfast yet, will try and find something soon. Will be having Ryvitas with ham or cheese on them for lunch and maybe an omelette for dinner. Think I will be making hotpot for hubby and the children, it really doesn't bother me, them having something else. Last week I ate hotpot and my BG went up a great deal so will not be making that mistake again!

Visit to the dentist later today, I hate having injections but this is part of the new, healthy me.

I don't like Mondays, as hubby goes back to work at 5.15pm (he finishes the working week on Friday morning), I always have panic attacks and end up crying as I get used to having him home for nearly 4 days. It's horrible, especially as it does upset him and he worries about leaving me like that, so tonight I am going to be strong and send him off to work without upsetting him.

There is a snow blizzard here at the moment, though it doesn't seem to be settling.

Nice one Scottie,
Ok so you send husband off to work later with a nice big smile and a kiss.:rolleyes:
I think you need to have a plan of what your going to do in the evening to keep your mind occupied.
Write down on a piece of paper what you are going to do the next day.
Clean out a small cupboard.
Check food stock, plan and write down menue for next day.
Do you need to order food on line.
Above all keep away from the bathroom scales. Lol.
What do you think?

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one Scottie,
Ok so you send husband off to work later with a nice big smile and a kiss.:rolleyes:
I think you need to have a plan of what your going to do in the evening to keep your mind occupied.
Write down on a piece of paper what you are going to do the next day.
Clean out a small cupboard.
Check food stock, plan and write down menue for next day.
Do you need to order food on line.
Above all keep away from the bathroom scales. Lol.
What do you think?
And keep chatting to us on here, we will keep you company! It must be hard for you when hubby is away, and it sounds like you miss him a lot :( it's a shame we aren't all close together so we could keep each other company!
My casserole is in the slow cooker, potatoes peeled and ready to boil when the kids get in and my quiche is made. Ive had some with green beans, sprouts and a couple of baby carrots. My bs was 6.1 before lunch. Ive no idea how it's gone down like that, ive mostly been stuck in the high 7s!
Going to get the dishes done now and Hoover up yesterday's mess ready for more mess to be made in a couple of hours lol

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies, I misunderstood.
You don't need to apologise, I probably was not clear enough, I have suggested @Andrew Colvin & @pip to get in touch, as both have experienced the very low calorie diet namely the 'Newcastle Diet'.
I think maybe they can let you know how such a low calorie intake affected them.
Neil

scottie1

Thank you Daddys1

I look forward to hearing what they say. I do try to eat more calories, but sometimes it's just not possible. Unless I eat the wrong things of course.

scottie1

I will be with the children tonight, my daughter does her reading and I will try to get her to do practice her spellings, though I am sure she will carry on. My mum is coming tonight for a little bit as it's her birthday today. My mouth will be numb as dental appointment is at 3.40pm so wouldn't imagine I would be doing much eating.

BG before lunch was 21.2, so hoping it will come down at 3pm. Had some Ryvitas with a slice of ham and have made some sugar free jelly.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be with the children tonight, my daughter does her reading and I will try to get her to do practice her spellings, though I am sure she will carry on. My mum is coming tonight for a little bit as it's her birthday today. My mouth will be numb as dental appointment is at 3.40pm so wouldn't imagine I would be doing much eating.

BG before lunch was 21.2, so hoping it will come down at 3pm. Had some Ryvitas with a slice of ham and have made some sugar free jelly.
That's good that you won't be completely alone. I hope everything goes well at the dentist, and well done again for facing it even though you hate going. I quite fancy trying some jelly, im having a major sweet craving at the moment. Having a sickly sweet coffee to try to curb it, had to use milk though as I have no cream. It's not as satisfying without the cream

scottie1

I have never had cream, so that's something I may try though I don't like coffee. Don't suppose it will be the same with tea.

Dreading the dentist but it needs to be done. To celebrate the fact on 15th March, I will have stopped smoking for 1 year i am having my teeth whitened, years of nictotine, drinking tea and sugary drinks have taken their toll, along with the fact that I haven't visited the dentist.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow congratulations on such a fantastic achievement! That must have taken some willpower! You must be very proud of yourself, I hope you are because you've made some amazing changes to your life!

scottie1

Thank you, i am very proud of myself having smoked since I was 15-years-old and over the last couple of years I was smoking 40 a day.

I seem to have the same feeling now regarding my diet, as I did when I stopped smoking so I know it's going to work and that I can do it.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You've come so far from when I read your first ever post. I hope I can muster just a fraction of your determination and dedication. You truly are inspirational! :)

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Scottie, would just like you to know that although you may feel you are struggling, your actually being really inspiring. I don't fully low carb as I have been lucky and managed to get away with just reduced card. Although I have even fallen of that wagon recently and have been going though a stuff it phase and have been eating pretty much what I want. BUT after reading your post today instead of getting the bread out of the freezer at work to make toast and pate for lunch (this has been my staple for a good few weeks now) I went to the shop and brought, carrott, cucumber and pepper to eat with humus. so much better for me. So thank you, for putting me back on track :)

Reactions: 5 people

DORAJANE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you all, I am so scared of hospitals and I don't know what to do.
Have you a friend who could go with you. I have just been told I need to go over to insulin, as my readings are nearly as high as yours/

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
And keep chatting to us on here, we will keep you company! It must be hard for you when hubby is away, and it sounds like you miss him a lot :( it's a shame we aren't all close together so we could keep each other company!
My casserole is in the slow cooker, potatoes peeled and ready to boil when the kids get in and my quiche is made. Ive had some with green beans, sprouts and a couple of baby carrots. My bs was 6.1 before lunch. Ive no idea how it's gone down like that, ive mostly been stuck in the high 7s!
Going to get the dishes done now and Hoover up yesterday's mess ready for more mess to be made in a couple of hours lol

Hi Muggle,
Yes we will keep one another company. My husband is at home with me, but, I don't feel he is helping me at all. Sunday morning he went out with a friend, then he popped into Asda and bought 2 bags of donuts, he did offer me one. Yes I know I don't have to eat them, but if they weren't in the house it would be easyer.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Scottie, would just like you to know that although you may feel you are struggling, your actually being really inspiring. I don't fully low carb as I have been lucky and managed to get away with just reduced card. Although I have even fallen of that wagon recently and have been going though a stuff it phase and have been eating pretty much what I want. BUT after reading your post today instead of getting the bread out of the freezer at work to make toast and pate for lunch (this has been my staple for a good few weeks now) I went to the shop and brought, carrott, cucumber and pepper to eat with humus. so much better for me. So thank you, for putting me back on track :)

Well done you.