Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

scottie1

I'm too having problems controlling my sugar levels my diet is good I'm going for power walks I've lost one and half stone and still my blood sugar levels are 25.4 am taking metformin 2,000mg a day am loosing my mind here don't know what else to do
What will my doctor try next?

That weight loss is fantastic, well done. Maybe your GP will try other meds. Have you seen him/her since your levels crept up? If not, please do make an appointment asap with a view to reducing your BG. You seem to be doing everything right - good diet, excercise, weight loss so that's all good.

Reactions: 2 people

scottie1

Certainly stick with the lchf, but it does seem that the poor advice from the Nhs has continued pushing your pancreas & has now got to the point of giving up the ghost almost completely. If feel for you truly & hope that as I was lucky enough to find the forum early on with it's wealth of suffer knowledge, that I & many that do lchf at the shortly after diagnosis time, can hold back any further downward trend in the condition for many yrs to come & not as the Nhs state in around 5yrs things will have progressed downhill.
Will be interesting to see what happens in future yrs staying with the lchf diet.
Hope things get sorted very soon for you.

Thank you Paul.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm too having problems controlling my sugar levels my diet is good I'm going for power walks I've lost one and half stone and still my blood sugar levels are 25.4 am taking metformin 2,000mg a day am loosing my mind here don't know what else to do
are you low carbing? I think diet is 80% and drugs are 20% with T2
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I'd go back and see your Dr, after lifestyle changes, if metformin isn't enough, they may add another oral as a next step

https://www.aace.com/files/aace_algorithm.pdf
upload_2015-3-23_8-40-23.png

psychicsal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That weight loss is fantastic, well done. Maybe your GP will try other meds. Have you seen him/her since your levels crept up? If not, please do make an appointment asap with a view to reducing your BG. You seem to be doing everything right - good diet, excercise, weight loss so that's all good.
Hi
Thank you yes i have seen my gp 6weeks ago after my HBCA1 bloods came back and that was 45.8 which went up from 22.3.
I am due to see my GP again on the 7th April, I just don't know what else to do, I'm just feeling rung out.
Thank you for your well done,that's much appreciated.
XxX

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Try GP definitely.

Glad of weightloss but your high sugar levels may be the causation of losing weight.

When levels arehigh this can cause weightloss. Typically a T1 may lose weight horrendously before diagnosis.. However, please see your GP, and perhaps ask directly, upfront whether you need insulin..

psychicsal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I will thank you,
U have an appointment on the7the April so will definitely have a word about insulin.
I wasn't sure if they done insulin for type 2 though.
My sugar levels are 30 + today so all it said was too high.
Thanks for your reply
Blessing
Sal x

scottie1

CDC say I need to wait 7-10 working days for an appointment, so on my 6th working day today. They didn't seem concerned at all and said they were only there to answer calls. Hopefully I will hear back from them shortly..

Also called doctors surgery for my blood results, they were busy and asked if they could call me back, they are open untill 8pm so there is still time.

BG 1 hour post eating - steak & salad 15.9, - so a good improvement on the low 20's but still not good enough.

scottie1

Hi I will thank you,
U have an appointment on the7the April so will definitely have a word about insulin.
I wasn't sure if they done insulin for type 2 though.
My sugar levels are 30 + today so all it said was too high.
Thanks for your reply
Blessing
Sal x

That's really high BG, just like mine were when I first posted. Have you considered LCHF as a way to get your results down? Forum members swear by it an I have seen a reduction in my BG after LC ing, not a huge amount but any reduction is better than none. Can you not see your GP beofore 7 April?

Hope you have had better results today :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
CDC say I need to wait 7-10 working days for an appointment, so on my 6th working day today. They didn't seem concerned at all and said they were only there to answer calls. Hopefully I will hear back from them shortly..

Also called doctors surgery for my blood results, they were busy and asked if they could call me back, they are open untill 8pm so there is still time.

BG 1 hour post eating - steak & salad 15.9, - so a good improvement on the low 20's but still not good enough.
Hi scottie , keep steady you'll be ok ::))

Reactions: 3 people

psychicsal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's really high BG, just like mine were when I first posted. Have you considered LCHF as a way to get your results down? Forum members swear by it an I have seen a reduction in my BG after LC ing, not a huge amount but any reduction is better than none. Can you not see your GP beofore 7 April?

Hope you have had better results today :)
Ho am sorry to sound so thick but what is ICHF I've never heard of it
Nope sugar levels are still sky high, no I can't get in until then as I have to see a certain doctor for my diabetes.
X

scottie1

Low carbs, high fat. I am sure somebody can explain it much better than me, but I will try.

It means cutting out starchy carbs such as potatoes, bread, pasta, anything that has flour etc and replacing them with fatty products. Eating lots of meat, salad, veg, eggs and the like, and lots of high fat, such as butter, olive oil etc. I aim for no more than 60g of carbs a day but must admit having problems with high fat. Have full fat milk and obviously no sugar or sugary foods. I saw quite a good reduction in my BG after I first started this diet and know forum members highly recommend it. I wouldn't go back to my previous diet at all now. Have a look at the forums and you will find loads of advice regarding this :)

psychicsal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carbs, high fat. I am sure somebody can explain it much better than me, but I will try.

It means cutting out starchy carbs such as potatoes, bread, pasta, anything that has flour etc and replacing them with fatty products. Eating lots of meat, salad, veg, eggs and the like, and lots of high fat, such as butter, olive oil etc. I aim for no more than 60g of carbs a day but must admit having problems with high fat. Have full fat milk and obviously no sugar or sugary foods. I saw quite a good reduction in my BG after I first started this diet and know forum members highly recommend it. I wouldn't go back to my previous diet at all now. Have a look at the forums and you will find loads of advice regarding this :)
Hi Scottie
Thank you for your comments, I don't eat a lot of starchy stuff anyway because I've been told to cut them out, but i cannot eat high fat because i have liver disease so need to have a low fat diet, however, I do eat loads of salad and meat fish eggs I drink over 10 bottles of water a day and am still totally dry, I don't have sugar or sweetner on anything.
So don't know what to do
Xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Scottie
Thank you for your comments, I don't eat a lot of starchy stuff anyway because I've been told to cut them out, but i cannot eat high fat because i have liver disease so need to have a low fat diet, however, I do eat loads of salad and meat fish eggs I drink over 10 bottles of water a day and am still totally dry, I don't have sugar or sweetner on anything.
So don't know what to do
Xx

Just a quick response.. Still totally dry... Is that thirst wise? Only that will not go away whilst your levels are so high...