Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

scottie1

Kezzer, there might be something in what you say about times of meals. Having my dinner so late is obviously not agreeing with my BG, also probably need to eat breakfast earlier in the morning as always have high BG upon waking and put this down to my liver. Thank you. Having roast chicken and salad for tea so hopefully BG will fall afterwards.

scottie1

Hi Scottie
To be honest not sure probably getting on for 18 months as I missed an annual check due to them changing how they were done the month mine was due !!! But as soon as they had the results I was offered the lyxumia injections I took half does for 2 weeks then full dose after that I did feel sick for a bit and still do occasionally other than that it's been fine

That's a long time for it to be so high, mine has only been like this a couple of months and it's already driving me mad. i am glad you have the right medication now though. I'm going to research Lyxumia and see if it's something that could be suitable for me and put it to the CDC when I eventually get an appointment. Thank you.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kezzer, there might be something in what you say about times of meals. Having my dinner so late is obviously not agreeing with my BG, also probably need to eat breakfast earlier in the morning as always have high BG upon waking and put this down to my liver. Thank you. Having roast chicken and salad for tea so hopefully BG will fall afterwards.
Hi Scottie
To be honest not sure probably getting on for 18 months as I missed an annual check due to them changing how they were done the month mine was due !!! But as soon as they had the results I was offered the lyxumia injections I took half does for 2 weeks then full dose after that I did feel sick for a bit and still do occasionally other than that it's been fine
Do you both lowcarb with increased fats?

shez

Hi Paul
I have been cutting my carbs down not counting as such and have changed my bread to budgens or sensations still eating meats and butter but cutting my portion sizes oh and not eating chocolate, biscuits,cakes ect and not picking between meals unless it's raw veg

Reactions: 2 people

scottie1

I've cut bread, potatoes, biscuits, cereals etc out completely apart from having one slice of Warburtons wholmeal bread in a weak moment. Found it easier to not have them at all as opposed to changing/eating small amounts. I am eating lots of salad, meat, eggs and limiting my fruit intake.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've cut bread, potatoes, biscuits, cereals etc out completely apart from having one slice of Warburtons wholmeal bread in a weak moment. Found it easier to not have them at all as opposed to changing/eating small amounts. I am eating lots of salad, meat, eggs and limiting my fruit intake.
Do you leave fat on meat & have fullfat products instead of lowfat & use butter not marge & fry with good oils like olive & coconut etc. All easy ways to increase fat but not over do it.
Yes that's good your levels will drop doing that & your meds hopefully,
Out of interest b4 having to inject were you following the Nhs advice?

scottie1

I haven't injected at all yet, I am waiting to see a Community Diabetic Clinic in the hope that they will perscribe insulin as tablet medication is just not working. Yes, before LCing I was following dietry advice from the DN, small portions but plenty of carbs,. I have been LC for about 6 weeks and saw a BG reduction initially but not now.

Yes having butter, olive oil, fat on some meats. Don't eat anything low fat now.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't injected at all yet, I am waiting to see a Community Diabetic Clinic in the hope that they will perscribe insulin as tablet medication is just not working. Yes, before LCing I was following dietry advice from the DN, small portions but plenty of carbs,. I have been LC for about 6 weeks and saw a BG reduction initially but not now.

Yes having butter, olive oil, fat on some meats. Don't eat anything low fat now.
That's good, your levels should drop with the new diet maybe your system just needs a little time to adjust.
It's time something was done about the Nhs advice as it's not really helping people & when you think about it, putting more strain on the system that they say is over stretched & has now funds. Well seems they only have themselves to blame, when poor advice is making people suffer more.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think a month on those levels of carbs will show roughly what diet can do, after that I think it's meds to get my BG under control.
given your symptoms and lack of control with oral meds, I would be discussing insulin with an endo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think a month on those levels of carbs will show roughly what diet can do, after that I think it's meds to get my BG under control.
given your symptoms and lack of control with oral meds, I would be discussing insulin with an endo

This is what Scottie is waiting for.. To see community diabetic nurse.. Who should have contacted her.

Scottie should not have to be chasing up, but it looks like she is having too. Like @mollie56 and her OH it seems that community DSN's really cannot keep up with acting upon refferals in a timely manner.

Its appalling. Scottie, please chase up as you've said you are going to. I cannot imagine how you are feeling with these high levels, its a pity your healthcare persons haven't been experiencing this... Bet tgey wouldn't put up with it..

Best wishes...x

Reactions: 3 people

scottie1

What's an endo Jack? There is a distinct lack of results with my tablets, on Monday they changed 160g of Gliclozide to 100g of Sitagliptin, so currently taking 2000g Metformin, 160g Gliclozide and 100g Sitagliptin. LC initally reduced my BG to the late teens from high 20's and low 30's. Now it seems to be all over the place, you could understand why people feel like giving up LCHF if getting these results but I am absolutly sure that this is the way forward and have no plans of going back to eating lots of carbs. The proof is in the pudding and I am certain that once my meds are sorted out that with LCHF I can reduce my BG to a normal level and stay that way.

scottie1

This is what Scottie is waiting for.. To see community diabetic nurse.. Who should have contacted her.

Scottie should not have to be chasing up, but it looks like she is having too. Like @mollie56 and her OH it seems that community DSN's really cannot keep up with acting upon refferals in a timely manner.

Its appalling. Scottie, please chase up as you've said you are going to. I cannot imagine how you are feeling with these high levels, its a pity your healthcare persons haven't been experiencing this... Bet tgey wouldn't put up with it..

Best wishes...x

Thank you Donnelly, hopefully I will get some help when I chase up both my bloods and appointment with the CDC tomorrow. I am getting desperate and it's making me so sad. I wouldn't imagine that anybody treating me would put up with feeling like I do, you are right but from saying that high BG is not as dangerous as Type 1's , these high levels are having an effect on my body and state of mind, to not making me an appointment there and then with the CDC, is just awful. High BG over a long period of time can have cause damage to my body.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What's an endo Jack? There is a distinct lack of results with my tablets, on Monday they changed 160g of Gliclozide to 100g of Sitagliptin, so currently taking 2000g Metformin, 160g Gliclozide and 100g Sitagliptin. LC initally reduced my BG to the late teens from high 20's and low 30's. Now it seems to be all over the place, you could understand why people feel like giving up LCHF if getting these results but I am absolutly sure that this is the way forward and have no plans of going back to eating lots of carbs. The proof is in the pudding and I am certain that once my meds are sorted out that with LCHF I can reduce my BG to a normal level and stay that way.

Seriously Scottie it looks like you need insulin. If you could only speak and give your figures etc directly to a member of the community team they really should prioritise you urgently.

An endo is basically a diabetic consultant that deals mainly with insulin dependent diabetics amongst other things..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Scottie.. As a T1 if I have a pump failure and rise to 20 I feel disgusting and pretty comatosed.. But I can get it down to 6.0 within 10 hours. Knowing how s**te I feel for those few hours makes me winder how the heck you are managing. I empathise completely but honest I Could not go a few hours at constant highs, let alone what is months for you...let us know how you get on. We all wish you well... And that you will get help soon..

Reactions: 4 people

scottie1

I'm certain I need insulin Donnelly, so totally agree with you. Having read around the forums and on the internet, it's clear to me what needs to be done. Now I just need to get through to the CDC that I need something sorted and I need it sortinng asap. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask them to see me as a matter of urgency because I simply cannot go on like this.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certainly stick with the lchf, but it does seem that the poor advice from the Nhs has continued pushing your pancreas & has now got to the point of giving up the ghost almost completely. If feel for you truly & hope that as I was lucky enough to find the forum early on with it's wealth of suffer knowledge, that I & many that do lchf at the shortly after diagnosis time, can hold back any further downward trend in the condition for many yrs to come & not as the Nhs state in around 5yrs things will have progressed downhill.
Will be interesting to see what happens in future yrs staying with the lchf diet.
Hope things get sorted very soon for you.

Reactions: 4 people

psychicsal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm too having problems controlling my sugar levels my diet is good I'm going for power walks I've lost one and half stone and still my blood sugar levels are 25.4 am taking metformin 2,000mg a day am loosing my mind here don't know what else to do
What will my doctor try next?