Breakfast

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a small non-stick frying pan and make a one egg (large) cheese omelette. It is much quicker to make and eat than porridge. At the weekend I skip breakfast and do intermittent fasting by eating only once a day at lunch time.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree @Jaylee on the whole fasting part, I typically do it myself. Especially regarding the whisky;)

My point was that I don't particularly rate lemon flavoured water as an applicable substitute to toast, porridge and cereals, as the OP asked. Given we're talking 'breaking the fast', I would imagine that the OP is looking for an actual form of solid food, in the shape of a meal.

But then again most people think they need to eat 3 meals a day as well as snacks.. which they don't in my opinion...
Skipping the odd meal may well assist their tired body by not having to process food in any form especially carbs.
Breaking the fast can be at any time of day or even the next day as its exactly about "breaking the fast" not eating a bowl of sugar at 8 am just because Kelloggs say we should. Lemon flavoured water would be a great substitute for cereal IMHO.

Reactions: Mark_1

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But then again most people think they need to eat 3 meals a day as well as snacks.. which they don't in my opinion...
Skipping the odd meal may well assist their tired body by not having to process food in any form especially carbs.
Breaking the fast can be at any time of day or even the next day as its exactly about "breaking the fast" not eating a bowl of sugar at 8 am just because Kelloggs say we should. Lemon flavoured water would be a great substitute for cereal IMHO.
This isn't about your views on intermittent fasting or carbohydrate intake @bulkbiker. The OP pretty much asked what alternatives there are to cereals and toast. If they want to skip breakfast (like you and I) then great! But they've not asked that...

Given that we take our energy from the food that we eat, hot lemon juice is hardly going to give sufficient energy over an actual meal.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This isn't about your views on intermittent fasting or carbohydrate intake @bulkbiker. The OP pretty much asked what alternatives there are to cereals and toast. If they want to skip breakfast (like you and I) then great! But they've not asked that...

Given that we take our energy from the food that we eat, hot lemon juice is hardly going to give sufficient energy over an actual meal.
A commonly held misconception - the food we eat is used directly for some of the time, particularly if type two, but there should be a constant flow between storage and use - at least on a good day. The storage can be either long or short term, and the use can be urgent or ongoing
I'd be more worried about my teeth being dissolved by the acidic juice than any lack of nourishment - there is also sugar in lemons, maybe not enough to elevate BG but rather bad for the teeth

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@GrantGam - I don't think @JTL was actually suggesting lemon water and nothing else.

My interpretation was JTL in post #11, suggested option for someone rushed in the morning, then went on in his next post #11, suggested if the OP has plenty of time to have the lemon water, then nothing for 20 minutes. I didn't interpret it as lemon water then nothing.

Of course, I could be adding 2s and reaching 7, but offering my differing interpretation of the text.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam - I don't think @JTL was actually suggesting lemon water and nothing else.

My interpretation was JTL in post #11, suggested option for someone rushed in the morning, then went on in his next post #11, suggested if the OP has plenty of time to have the lemon water, then nothing for 20 minutes. I didn't interpret it as lemon water then nothing.

Of course, I could be adding 2s and reaching 7, but offering my differing interpretation of the text.
I think you're right @AndBreathe, thanks for that:)

Reactions: AndBreathe

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

An alternative to cereal and toast could be nothing at all... quite a few people believe the myth that you have to have something to eat in the morning.. I am simply presenting an alternative view.. my views on the benefits are irrelevant.. it's an "alternative" which as you rightly say is what the OP originally asked.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Scrambled eggs (with a bit of smoked paprika pepper to give it a bit of bite!)

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have no time at all in the mornings, so I keep boiled eggs in the fridge and grab two as I go to work.
I eat them at my desk with some black coffee.

You'll be going some to find a more convenient breakfast than two cold boiled eggs, and it should keep you full until lunch time.

Reactions: Mark_1

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Cheese or fine herb omelette, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, vegetarian or vegan sausages, sardines or mackerel pate on Hi-Lo toast (5-6g carb per slice), plain yoghurt with one quarter of a banana, chopped pecans and a dash of cinnamon, berries with plain yoghurt, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach with poached or fried egg!

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hey guys

Not my usual style to jump in with my problems but I want to take this challenge head on. So this has been my first week as a diagnosed type 2. After much initial confusion shock and feeling lost. I have looked at alot of stuff and decided I would jump in with the low carb route.

My issue is ive always been the type to put minimal effort into breakfast, cereal, toast, porrisge done in like 2 mins. But to stay low carb I'm struggling to find simple easy solutions any suggestions? whole meal toast or cereal seem to use more carbs then I'd like I think it would be better if i can spread them more across my lunch and dinner.
I find that eating is partly a ritual, partly about whats good for you and partly just about pleasure. I used to have a bowl of cooked porridge and a banana, healthy cheap and quick I used to think . Now I take blood sugar levels and know differently. Now I do scrambled egg , as has been suggested a small non stick pan and it takes far less than porridge. If I have time and want to fully enjoy the moment I'll go for smoked salmon, ( if `I've done the shopping and am feeling rich enough for a treat,) else bacon , else salami or cherizo ( which can be chopped and added to the egg to incorporate the flavour. ) Sometimes adding grilled tomatoes , advacado ( sprinked with salt, pepper and malt vinegar) , sometimes red peppers, onions and egg scrambled, sometimes a kipper. In short I'm having a much more diverse start to the day than I ever did and am beginning to enjoy food in a very different way.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm rushed in the morning. Up, showered and breakfast within half an hour. I had cereals my whole life as they are quick and easy. But then I saw what a tiny amount did to my BG in the morning.

So I've gone for Greek Yoghurt. Full fat version. I like the Fage one as its really thick. I have two spoons of that in a bowl with a few berries. Ten seconds to serve. I buy the packs of frozen ones and keep them in a box in the freezer. In the evening I take out a few and put into the fridge to defrost for the next morning. Another five seconds to drop on top.

What slows me down much more is taking all my tablets, and measuring my BG before I leave for work.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you're near a Lidl then get some of their high protein rolls. I have them a lot of breakfast - made in to buttered soldiers with boiled eggs, just toasted with peanut butter, made in to a bacon sandwich, just toasted with butter and raspberry sludge.

(Raspberry sludge is frozen raspberries cooked in the microwave for a few minutes with your sweetener of choice until they go thick and sludgey - they allow to cool and you've got some raspberry jam. It doesn't keep like raspberry jam - needs eating within 4-5 days if kept in the fridge.)

Personally, I think lemon flavoured water tastes like shampoo.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've gone for Greek Yoghurt. Full fat version. I like the Fage one as its really thick. I have two spoons of that in a bowl with a few berries. Ten seconds to serve. I buy the packs of frozen ones and keep them in a box in the freezer. In the evening I take out a few and put into the fridge to defrost for the next morning. Another five seconds to drop on top.

Exactly what I did in the past until I used my first Libre sensor, which showed me I didn't come down again after my 2 hour reading. I had often wondered why my pre-lunch levels were a tad higher than my fasting level even though the 2 hour reading didn't appear too bad. It became obvious it was the carbs in the Fage and berries at breakfast mixed with a liver dump that happened between the fasting reading and breakfast. Moving my yogurt and berries to later in the day and cutting out all carbs at breakfast helped. Since not even having eggs at breakfast but just a coffee and cream my pre-lunch levels have dropped significantly and I have flat numbers all morning. (unless I do some strenuous housework, and that is a different story)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I agree @Jaylee on the whole fasting part, I typically do it myself. Especially regarding the whisky;)

My point was that I don't particularly rate lemon flavoured water as an applicable substitute to toast, porridge and cereals, as the OP asked. Given we're talking 'breaking the fast', I would imagine that the OP is looking for an actual form of solid food, in the shape of a meal.

:) Primarily, @dudester requres a meter to gauge what's going on on the day to day BS.
He certainly was entertaining the possibility of spreading a daily established carb allowance over "lunch & dinner" in the first post. Certainly nothing wrong with making "breakfast" a sort of brunch...?!
Welcome to the forum by the way, Dudester!

"Lemon water" was mentioned as what seemed like a harmless a "side thought." & used as an alternative to tea/coffee. Which are forms of "stimulant".
We both read @JTL 's post.
I just preferred to make a "nightcap" version & raise a glass to wish @dudester all the best on his newly diagnosed T2... :cool:

dudester

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well the point is put myself into a routine of eating 3 meals I could happily skip breakfast everyday but I have to take metformin due to be 3 times day. My limited experience so far I don't wish to do this on an empty stomach so i would rather make a routine of not skipping breakfast.

But thanks for all the suggestions I may try the boiled egg suggestion and store them for the week. Today was bacon and eggs not the worst way to start the day.

Reactions: Jaylee

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are really pushed for time, how about grabbing a slice or two of ham, and a slice or two of cheese.
Layer them like a sandwich (cheese outside keeps fingers cleaner) and wander off munching.
There isn't even any washing up.

On a really pressured morning, i have been known to leave the house munching this combo.

dudester

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You choose to take metformin 3 times a day... your body after all...just saying.

i could choose cakes and pies too! I must be misisng your point?

Read my first post again I have barely any information on diabetes. I'm doing what most people do when they see a doctor who prescribes them medicine surely?

Reactions: GrantGam and Jaylee