BS readings

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha ha. Chicken thighs!!!!! Now that sounds lovely. I'm getting hungry..I can feel a shopping trip for thighs!!! Gosh how yummy does that sound!!!
Ps does thinking about food raise bgs!!!!! Doomed!

Those thighs were a revelation, and with a well stoked store cupboard, it becomes cheap. A bottle of fish sauce, for example, lasts ages. Similarly with lazy garlic, ginger, chill or whatever..

alliebee

I know about the fish sauce. Nam pla? Stinks in the bottle but tastes divine in cooking. Lasts ages in the fridge and so versatile

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i admit i rarely cook as i can,t cook

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i can cook mince, have cooked a chicken
tomorrow i will go shopping and see how much chicken breasts are tho i,m not sure how long to cook them foe

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i just found a tin of mince in my cupboard so for tea, i will have half tin of mince with cauli, brocolli and cabbage

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i just found a tin of mince in my cupboard so for tea, i will have half tin of mince with cauli, brocolli and cabbage

Have you checked the label for carb content Ally? You may have a shock. Best to buy it fresh and cook from scratch in future. .

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you bluetit for pointing that out
as i have opened it, i will use half a tin and buy fresh mince tomorrow

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ally, I'm not the best cook in the world, so I sympathise with you.

Looking forward, positively though, there are loads and loads of excellent cooking videos on YouTube, that allow you to watch someone cook what you want to. When I have been experimenting, that's what I have done. Do you use YouTube at all? This video is for chilli, but you can add any veg or spices (or leave them out) if you want to:
I would also always cook with the lid on.

In our house, my OH is the main (and excellent) cook. He's a real enthusiast, so that works for us - mainly, until I ma here on my own!

Cooking from ingredients works out much cheaper and you can be sure of the ingredients, so fewer unexpected carb spikes. I'm sure if you could find a way to afford a slow cooker, you would build up a stock of simple meals to cook in no time at all. And the slow cooker is very energy efficient, so good for the bills!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you bluetit for pointing that out
as i have opened it, i will use half a tin and buy fresh mince tomorrow
I don't eat red meat nowadays but I do know that you can make fresh minced meat stretch a long way and it's difficult to spoil it even non cooks!! Onions are cheap but watch the carbs. You could make some burgers, bound together with egg. Just don't put them in a bread bun. Dried herbs might be a cheaper alternative to fresh. Have you got a lidl or an Aldi close? Much cheaper than tesco. If you're not into cooking why not do a week's worth one day a week, if you have a freezer. Soups are easily made. If you don't have a blender put one on your birthday or Christmas list.
Keep up the good work ally. Xx

alliebee

Ally I would be very careful of tinned stews and mince. They are full of carbs. Honestly. For the same price as a tin you can get a pound of fresh mince that would do 3 meals! I'm on a careful budget too. Can you shop at Lidle or Aldi? I get a whole weeks shopping meat cheese and veg for around £35... I also buy tesco value brand like cream cheese. Bags of frozen veg under a pound!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is difficult for Ally because she doesn't have a freezer.
Ally, have you a freezer compartment in your fridge?

alliebee

Then I would invest in a slow cooker. Tesco have one in at £9.99. Don't then need to cook. Just throw in what you fancy. Cheap cuts of meat n veg n stock in the morning. Yummy dinner ready at night with plenty of leftovers

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
peacetrain, where i live, theres only an asda and morrisons

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i do have a small freezer compartment in my fridge bluetit

alliebee

Try asda value range food. V reasonable. Also check the reduced counter. I bought 3 chicken breasts for £2.50 today with sell by date tom. Will slow cook them with veggies for next 3 days result!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try asda value range food. V reasonable. Also check the reduced counter. I bought 3 chicken breasts for £2.50 today with sell by date tom. Will slow cook them with veggies for next 3 days result!

That's quite a long time to cook them............................................................ :sorry::sorry::sorry:

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

Ha ha yes indeed. Got a bit carried away. Meant cook slowly for a few hours and enough then for that day a a few others in the fridge lol

alliebee

Ally another easy thing is fish. A couple of fillets of what is on offer at morrisons. Get a baking sheet. Cover it in enough foil to make a parcel ie line the tin with a good bit hanging that you can fold up and over the fish ect. Put knob of butter on the fish..cut up a courgette and a pepper and a tomato. Any sesoning then wrap it up and put in the oven for 20 mins. Then you can serve straight to the plate ..no washing up!!!! This won't put your readings up at all. Mine usually come down after this meal. Its nice and filling too.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ally,
I understand what it's like to be on a tight budget. What I have found really useful is omelettes. You can add a little bit of meat, say ham or cheese or mushrooms or all three and it makes a really healthy low carb dinner. You could add your salad or veg to beef it up. I generally use two eggs which suits me. It's also quick and easy to cook.
Kezzer

Reactions: 6 people