Type 1 Buses refusing to acknowledge hypos.

M

ME_Valentijn

Hmm, I'm conflicted about this. On one hand, I'd be tempted to say complain, but he's just a working guy trying to make a living and complaints aren't going to help him any, even though he deserves them. On the other hand, I'd forget about a complaint because (a) it's not worth my time, (b) he's an idiot but he's likely got a few issues in his own life.
I disagree. The driver's ignorance had a discriminatory impact upon @Dairygrade and could even be dangerous in the wrong situation. The only way he's going to learn is if someone educates him - and that's going to be his boss. Complaining could also help the bus company to ensure that their drivers know to prioritize passenger health over nitpicking about trivial rules.

Reactions: azure

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would you think his "boss" would know the first thing about Diabetics and their particular needs ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As I have traveled on many buses and on many different routes, some drivers did not appear to go to charm school, why they work in the public sector is, at times, questionable, but some are lovely and very helpful. Rules are rules, but, a little bit of discretion( and showing a diabetes hypo emergency card, or a piece of diabetes info jewelry ) could of helped the situation.

Reactions: MelissaC
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This would be the sensible thing to do, as it will stop any hassles in future.

These are less noticeable than a sandwich, but it is still eating and as a wheel chair user the OP would probably be near the driver and in view, at the front of the bus.

D

Deleted member 308541

These are less noticeable than a sandwich, but it is still eating and as a wheel chair user the OP would probably be near the driver and in view, at the front of the bus.
I remember years ago when I was a kid, a older cousin took me to see the submarines at Portsmouth naval dock (I think that was the name of it) in Hampshire.

On the bus we took from his home, there was a sign on the lower deck No Smoking and No Expectorating plus what ever the penalty was in those days. I asked my cousin what expectorating meant, and he told me spitting.

So getting back to the eating sandwiches analogy, then it's alright to spit if you are suffering from some illness / disease.

Public transport here in Australia have there rules and the fines get expensive, and example is eating or drinking in a taxi it is a $100.00 fine and the drivers enforce these through the company taking the passenger to court.

A bag of jelly beans is the cheaper option.

Reactions: Jaylee

Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
Biggest problem is diabetic awareness, until I was diagnosed type 1 I didn't really know much about it, I just thought it was all Mars bars and injections. How wrong and uneducated was I.
There is a fine line between making people aware and shoving it down their throats, so how we achieve this I'm not sure. Basic first aid is little help in a hypo situation.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening @Jaylee, iwould have used common sense and spoke to the individual concerned and made sure they were ok

Thanks Clive. I respect the profession just like any other.. Always grateful to a driver coming back from an eye test & explain I can't see squat due to the eye drops whilst fumbling with the change.. They may over do it & treat me like a complete "invalid" but they "ave a go!" :cool:

Reactions: Clivethedrive

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember years ago when I was a kid, a older cousin took me to see the submarines at Portsmouth naval dock (I think that was the name of it) in Hampshire.

On the bus we took from his home, there was a sign on the lower deck No Smoking and No Expectorating plus what ever the penalty was in those days. I asked my cousin what expectorating meant, and he told me spitting.

So getting back to the eating sandwiches analogy, then it's alright to spit if you are suffering from some illness / disease.

Public transport here in Australia have there rules and the fines get expensive, and example is eating or drinking in a taxi it is a $100.00 fine and the drivers enforce these through the company taking the passenger to court.

A bag of jelly beans is the cheaper option.
I Think yer right!? I did some "film extra work" down there for a "Naval recruitment add" a number of years ago on a frigate. Lol they wanted a long haired guy unshaven in a green "shell suit" to be a Bosnian/Serb, along wish two guys on polyester suits a young girl & the" obligatory" old woman.... I spent 14 hours on this **** boat. & got cut from the final commercial...
The navy guys were great! But the film production crew were a bunch of "luvvies" peeing everyone else off... I'm surprised they actually completed the job??

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tipetoo there you go?!! This was shown on British late night TV & cinemas (in the day.) in the year 2000? Waste of my time. Lol, but I got paid hansomly for it...

They decided during the editing to focus "surprisingly" on the young girl... My experience? The helicopter "rescuing us" was a bone shaker... Even the dials were blurred while I sat there for my "que" to get out....

M

ME_Valentijn

Why would you think his "boss" would know the first thing about Diabetics and their particular needs ?
Because they're in the business of providing a public service, and it's their responsibility to avoid engaging in discriminatory behavior.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because they're in the business of providing a public service, and it's their responsibility to avoid engaging in discriminatory behavior.

This is actually an interesting point.
Was the bus driver actually "discriminating"??

Put aside the hypo treatment for a moment.. (& how silly one thinks the food notice is.)

There was a rule about consuming food on the bus. That rule I assume is for all?? (Though probably aimed at school kids trashing the bus.)
In this case a "wheelchair user" was eating a sandwich... He saw a person in breach of this rule.
I don't see any discrimination. If anything the driver in that moment exacted equality.!

Though, granted he may not have fully understood the reason of this breach..
Or maybe during his career he's heard everything under the sun. Like "my wife's going into labour & needs this kebab!"

M

ME_Valentijn

There was a rule about consuming food on the bus. That rule I assume is for all?? (Though probably aimed at school kids trashing the bus.)
In this case a "wheelchair user" was eating a sandwich... He saw a person in breach of this rule.
I don't see any discrimination. If anything the driver in that moment exacted equality.!
The wheelchair is irrelevant. The problem is that the passenger had a medical condition which resulted in an urgent need to perform a specific action which wasn't going to harm anyone.

The passenger shouldn't be kicked out of a bus, or any other public service or business, due to a medical need which is easily accommodated by letting him eat the sandwich. He shouldn't have to choose between access to transportation (or any other normal activity) and his safety. Diabetics should not be effectively barred from using the bus, or even be afraid or hesitant to use the bus.

It's a matter of accommodation. It's the same reason that places where dogs are not allowed must allow service dogs. If dogs aren't allowed on the bus, should blind people be prevented from using the bus, or be forced to leave their service animal behind? Of course not. Why should someone who has a medical need to eat (and sugar tablets would still be eating) not be allowed to stay on the bus while meeting that medical need?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was no discrimination in being asked to obey a clearly signposted rule that applies to all bus users.

However, discretion and 'reasonable adjustment' should have been applied once the person eating had politely explained their hypo status, and the medical reason for their need to eat.

Of course, a glucose tab or a jelly baby eaten without fanfare would almost certainly have prevented the whole situation, since it is a lot less obvious than unwrapping sandwiches.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The wheelchair is irrelevant. The problem is that the passenger had a medical condition which resulted in an urgent need to perform a specific action which wasn't going to harm anyone.

The passenger shouldn't be kicked out of a bus, or any other public service or business, due to a medical need which is easily accommodated by letting him eat the sandwich. He shouldn't have to choose between access to transportation (or any other normal activity) and his safety. Diabetics should not be effectively barred from using the bus, or even be afraid or hesitant to use the bus.

It's a matter of accommodation. It's the same reason that places where dogs are not allowed must allow service dogs. If dogs aren't allowed on the bus, should blind people be prevented from using the bus, or be forced to leave their service animal behind? Of course not. Why should someone who has a medical need to eat (and sugar tablets would still be eating) not be allowed to stay on the bus while meeting that medical need?

If it was me I would of shown my diabetes ID information, I have wrist band, a necklace and an emergency card in my purse and hopefully the driver should of used discretion, at that time, as this was medical matter that needed treatment. Bus companies have rules, also they wont know of all medical conditions. If no ID was shown, then driver should of asked for their name and address ( same with a vulnerable person, ie disabled or a child/teenager with no or little money to cover their journey, because of safety) and afterwards to bring in some ID to the office. My bus service quotes :-

3) Conduct of passengers
We reserve the right to refuse you entry, or require you to leave our buses or premises at any time, should we have reason to believe that your behaviour jeopardises the safety, security and comfort of others.

When travelling with us you must in particular:

• refrain from smoking either conventional or electronic cigarettes
  • behave in a manner that is not abusive or threatening and does not cause offence to other customers or staff
  • refrain from eating and drinking items which make the environment unpleasant for other customers or otherwise cause offence
  • refrain from consuming alcohol
  • refrain from playing loud music or operating a personal device at a volume which may be heard by other passengers
  • refrain from leaving rubbish or discarded items on the bus
  • not be wearing soiled working clothes or carrying any soiled items which might stain the seats etc
  • follow the instructions of our staff and act in a manner which shows due regard for the safety and comfort of other customers and company employees, including not standing adjacent to emergency exits, the vehicle entrance, next to the driver or sitting in gangways, on staircases or standing upstairs on a double deck vehicle
  • if the vehicle you are travelling on is fitted with seat belts, you are legally required to wear it
  • notify a member of staff immediately if you sustain an injury whilst boarding, travelling on or getting off a bus
  • follow the directions of staff concerning the maximum number of standing passengers that a bus is permitted to carry. All of our vehicles contain clear signage setting out their standing capacity
  • except in an emergency, not talk to the driver whilst the bus is moving, obstruct the driver’s vision or otherwise distract them
  • have due regard at all times for the needs of our elderly, young and disabled customers and, in particular, vacate seats and spaces designed for the elderly and disabled when requested
  • not distribute leaflets, papers or other articles or offer anything for sale or collect for charity without our prior written consent
  • not interfere with equipment fitted on the vehicle
  • not deliberately damage or deface any part of the vehicle
Intending customers who, in the opinion of the driver or other company officer, appear likely to behave in an antisocial manner may not be allowed to travel.

Another driver may have acted in a more sociable way under the circumstances.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Right on sister! Believe it or not. I'm a bit of a T1 militant myself...
However. I would hate this to wind up like that scene in "Life of Brian"... ;)

M

ME_Valentijn

3) Conduct of passengers
The bus service also states that their rules only apply in a manner which does not conflict with the relevant laws and regulations.

British law is not my forte, except to the extent that American law is derived from it. However the Equality Act of 2010 seems to be pretty explicit in protecting disabled passengers from conduct which has a discriminatory impact, and requiring "reasonable adjustments".

In general terms:
(1) A person (A) discriminates against a disabled person (B) if—
(a) A treats B unfavourably because of something arising in consequence of B's disability, and
(b) A cannot show that the treatment is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.

In regards to providing services, public or otherwise:
A service-provider (A) must not, in providing the service, discriminate against a person (B)—
(a) as to the terms on which A provides the service to B;
(b) by terminating the provision of the service to B;
(c) by subjecting B to any other detriment.

In regards to reasonable adjustments:
(3) The first requirement is a requirement, where a provision, criterion or practice of A's puts a disabled person at a substantial disadvantage in relation to a relevant matter in comparison with persons who are not disabled, to take such steps as it is reasonable to have to take to avoid the disadvantage.

The "legitimate aim" in preventing eating on the bus is to avoid a resulting mess or impacting upon other passengers. That legitimate aim is not going to be contravened by a diabetic eating a sandwich. Throwing food around or pulling out a nice stinky cheese would still not be tolerated, obviously.

Kicking someone off the bus because of the consequences of being diabetic would be illegal discrimination. Reasonable adjustments can (and therefore must) be made for the diabetic, without causing any harm to the bus, the other passengers, or the business. To give an idea of the scope of what constitutes a "reasonable adjustment", the limit is on removing bus fixtures (seats, poles, etc).

Allowing a diabetic to eat a sandwich to counteract a hypo is a completely reasonable adjustment. Forcing a diabetic to choose between their health and leaving the bus is illegal. Bus company rules cannot take precedence over the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good afternoon all prepare for moan wife and I decided to go to our local town today got there ok getting bus back started to feel a bit funny tested bld sugar down the 3.2 started to go hypo so wife got me out sandwich which we just bought started to eat it suddenly bus stops driver walks up to us and says can't you read your not allowed to consume food on bus we explained my condition but he basically said not his problem and if I didn't stop eating he would throw us off bus so had to come home rest of way feeling grotty talk about jobs worth think I shall put in complaint bus company tomorrow not ruddy happy.what do you all think?

I would write to the company for sure. You could phrase it as a general comment if you're uneasy complaining about a specific driver. It was more than likely down to ignorance.

Unfortunately, he may also have heard "I'm diabetic" used as an excuse for eating by people who don't have diabetes. I had experience of this at my local cinema. Theyd banned food being taken in, and apparently some people were saying they had to,take it in because they were diabetic. Those people ruined it for others who genuinely needed to take food in. What the cinema now does is ask for proof or ID. That usually stops the people just trying it on.

If you explain simply why you needed to eat, then that will benefit any future passengers with diabetes too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The bus service also states that their rules only apply in a manner which does not conflict with the relevant laws and regulations.

British law is not my forte, except to the extent that American law is derived from it. However the Equality Act of 2010 seems to be pretty explicit in protecting disabled passengers from conduct which has a discriminatory impact, and requiring "reasonable adjustments".

In general terms:

In regards to providing services, public or otherwise:

In regards to reasonable adjustments:

The "legitimate aim" in preventing eating on the bus is to avoid a resulting mess or impacting upon other passengers. That legitimate aim is not going to be contravened by a diabetic eating a sandwich. Throwing food around or pulling out a nice stinky cheese would still not be tolerated, obviously.

Kicking someone off the bus because of the consequences of being diabetic would be illegal discrimination. Reasonable adjustments can (and therefore must) be made for the diabetic, without causing any harm to the bus, the other passengers, or the business. To give an idea of the scope of what constitutes a "reasonable adjustment", the limit is on removing bus fixtures (seats, poles, etc).

Allowing a diabetic to eat a sandwich to counteract a hypo is a completely reasonable adjustment. Forcing a diabetic to choose between their health and leaving the bus is illegal. Bus company rules cannot take precedence over the law.

I sincerely hope the bus company in question amends their policy about eating on buses regarding a diabetic hypo ( or other similar medical conditions) so by bringing this incident to their attention changes should be made. I know a lot about travelling on our UK buses and the drivers.
Good luck @Dairygrade

Reactions: tina_marie

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
yes carry your glucotabs and you should let know by carrying your hypo info like the cards which would indicate your a diabetic who is at risk of hypo as i had national express allow me to eat and drink in the bus when i was hypo as i showed him my emergency card that allowed him to be helpful