Can a HbA1c of 4.3 (23 mmol/mol) be possible?

M

ME_Valentijn

But why is a low BG from dieting different from a low BG from medication?
It's basically not possible to hypo unless taking medication which triggers it (mainly insulin, but also gliclazide, and possibly others).

Non-diabetics can safely have pretty low HbA1c values, whereas if a diabetic got a result that low, it would suggest that their expected highs were being balanced out by going too low. That's why the goals for diabetics, both in regards to HbA1c and blood glucose, are never going to be in exactly the same range as non-diabetics. Aiming for the perfect values is simply too risky.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, but it is the lack glucose for the brain that can be fatal, I can't see that how you got that lack of glucose makes any difference. If the fuel pump is broken or I didn't put any petrol in the tank it is still the lack of fuel that will stop the engine.
Your body is programmed not to let you die... if your blood glucose goes too low then your liver will dump to raise your blood sugar. If you are taking drugs to artificially reduce your blood sugar then you may have problems if you aren't then your body will take care of itself.

Reactions: Freema

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your body is programmed not to let you die... if your blood glucose goes too low then your liver will dump to raise your blood sugar. If you are taking drugs to artificially reduce your blood sugar then you may have problems if you aren't then your body will take care of itself.
This answer makes the most sense to me. If you are taking a drug then it could interfere with the body's safety mechanism and allow the BG to go dangerously low.
I still don't know why you would want to aim for HbA1c in the 20's when that is very low even for a non diabetic.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
This answer makes the most sense to me. If you are taking a drug then it could interfere with the body's safety mechanism and allow the BG to go dangerously low.
I still don't know why you would want to aim for HbA1c in the 20's when that is very low even for a non diabetic.
It has been shown that high blood sugar is harmful to most organs in the body, so it seems a good idea to keep it low and have something in reserve for blips and spikes.

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It has been shown that high blood sugar is harmful to most organs in the body, so it seems a good idea to keep it low and have something in reserve for blips and spikes.
interesting discussion about whether you can go too low without drugs. I just had to add that if you have problems in your alpha cells release of glucagon or in your hepatic release of glucose when going low, then you might go into low glycemic levels. I think using meds and taking artificial insulin might mess up these systems. any idea? perhaps t1´s know far better.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe being that low was the most normal in ancient times where we were hunter gatheres and often starved for longer periods . It is really only in the last 15000 -20000 years People have had all This grain food with very condenced carbs in larger amounts daily

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure I ever "aimed" for it as such but when you are an ultra low carb eater with some fasting that's what happens. I rarely get readings below 4 except when on an extended fast and then only for a few hours before the body's safety mechanism steps in.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am surprised the RH'rs have not commented. If you have reactive hypoglycemia you can most certainly go too low without medication.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry, my bad.

I should aim higher.......to infinity and beyond !!!!!

Last edited: