Can t2 have cheat day?

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Me, with T2. I was wondering if we could have a cheat day, which we are freely to eat anything. And turn back to strictly diet tomorrow.
Any idea or comment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We can do anything we like, whether it is sensible or not is a different matter.
Only you can make such a decision for yourself.
The more time your levels are high the more damage you are doing.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Me, with T2. I was wondering if we could have a cheat day, which we are freely to eat anything. And turn back to strictly diet tomorrow.
Any idea or comment.
I would be extremely ill. So no way would I ever have a cheat day. I have lots of treats though. What you pick depends on your preferences and your diet. I low carb at less than 50 carbs per day. I have done lower. My naughties are a small glass of dry red wine in the evening. By small I mean what used to be referred to a port glass in days of yore. A corner of something hubby is eating, one piece of chocolate. Without lots of treats I am sure I would "cheat" but that might not be true of you.

If you make the most of something that is "off limits" a teaspoon of it tastes so much better than when I would eat the whole portion.

If I do feel myself slipping I will promise myself a mega treat when I get home. For me that is usually half a lidl roll microwaved with cheese that is covered with loads of cream cheese.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only advice I can give is try it .. if your sugar levels go sky high and you feel unwell, don't do it again! We are all different and some can and other are just left feeling very unwell if they have a day loaded with treats.

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So overall, I can eat everything. Just watch the BG at the end of the day. And to low it on the other day just doing the exercise.
And stay in the range.

And another thing why the glucose meter and the laboratory result is not the same? Any suggest meter workout as well as the laboratory one?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any idea or comment.

I have cheat day on my birthday, my daugthers birthday , christmas eve and new years eve... and one or two days more a year.
but I also burn 4000-6000 calories extra at fitness in a week

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what do you guy think about small portion of the cake or pieces?

if you take only one peice of cake a week I would think that would be okay , at least in my case... but it all depends on how well one do all the other days and if ones numbers are down in the normal non-diabetic area most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma
A

Avocado Sevenfold

So overall, I can eat everything. Just watch the BG at the end of the day. And to low it on the other day just doing the exercise.
And stay in the range.

And another thing why the glucose meter and the laboratory result is not the same? Any suggest meter workout as well as the laboratory one?
Just to clarify - you don't mean literally "at the end of the day?" I hope you mean you will be testing more often than that. I may have misunderstood.

I wouldn't eat everything now. Diabetes is not like slimming clubs where you can save up points or syns and use them for a blowout at the weekend. Better to keep blood glucose levels as even as possible. It is better for you health, energy levels and mood that way. All the best.

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally, I get emotional so quick. Occasionally, Like when I having lunch or diner, I would eat it. And meter in the morning and see it 's high. And ask myself what have I done?

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just to clarify - you don't mean literally "at the end of the day?" I hope you mean you will be testing more often than that. I may have misunderstood.

I wouldn't eat everything now. Diabetes is not like slimming clubs where you can save up points or syns and use them for a blowout at the weekend. Better to keep blood glucose levels as even as possible. It is better for you health, energy levels and mood that way. All the best.

What do you think? Like me taking 1*1000g metformin. Doing exercise everything. 18y.
I always limit my diet. But sometimes when hangout and eat a lot (just one meal). And get back exercise harder to low blood glucose.

Reactions: Nanonet
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
My diabetic team advise me that as long as everything is in moderation. I personally find it incredibly difficult controlling my t2, even with lots of exercise,strict diet etc.
I guess i am on low levels of medication, one Metformin a day, one80mg Gliclazide.
My feeling is, everybody who has t2 reacts differently to different types of foods, exercise etc.
I wish you all the very best with your journey.

Reactions: worriedwart

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
My diabetic team advise me that as long as everything is in moderation. I personally find it incredibly difficult controlling my t2, even with lots of exercise,strict diet etc.
I guess i am on low levels of medication, one Metformin a day, one80mg Gliclazide.
My feeling is, everybody who has t2 reacts differently to different types of foods, exercise etc.

It sounds like what your team says isn't working so well for you? I think that moderating things can sometimes make it harder whereas completely "banning" them in your head made it easier for me to not eat things that caused my blood sugars to spike. Are you testing before and after meals to see what food types causes your bloods to go up? Eating to your meter, as this is known, is a very powerful tool in your armoury.
I'm a very strong advocate of an ultra ow carb diet which has worked well for me.

Reactions: Mark_1
A

Avocado Sevenfold

What do you think? Like me taking 1*1000g metformin. Doing exercise everything. 18y.
I always limit my diet. But sometimes when hangout and eat a lot (just one meal). And get back exercise harder to low blood glucose.
I wouldn't like to guess. There is no such thing as bad food though, just bad testing regimes. If your meter tells you that you are within a good range and you feel well, then that's good. You say you get emotional so try to avoid spikes as they can affect our mood and cravings.

Reactions: Ly_atdia

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

Yes. Your advice is pretty amazing. My diabetic team said I can eat everything but just go back and burn it. They also add we are human, sometimes we cannot control what we desired, can we? So let it go sometimes. Hahaaha

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Your advice is pretty amazing. My diabetic team said I can eat everything but just go back and burn it. They also add we are human, sometimes we cannot control what we desired, can we? So let it go sometimes. Hahaaha

Their advice should have been that you cannot burn off a bad diet.
Your meter should tell you whether your diet is bad or not.
Test before you eat and 2 hours later. This will tell you how bad or how good it is.

Reactions: Mark_1 and Ly_atdia

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Their advice should have been that you cannot burn off a bad diet.
Your meter should tell you whether your diet is bad or not.
Test before you eat and 2 hours later. This will tell you how bad or how good it is.

I already did it. It shown quite good in the non diabetes range.
And my h1c drop from 8.4 to 6.4. Recently.