Cortisone Side effects

Kenn027

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 for 52 years. 7 units Humalog, 20 units Lantus each morning. A1c 6.5

I got a Cortisone injection in my shoulder 2 weeks ago. The doctor warned me that my blood sugars will rise for 3 days. I told him that is no problem, I have a CGM and can just increase my insulin dosage if needed. Little did I know the nightmare I would go through.

The next day my fasting was over 400. I increased my insulin by 6 units to offset this high blood sugar. Got my blood sugar tested at my kidney doctor the next day and they called and told me my glucose level was above 600. I told them I had a Cortisone shot and they understood. My fasting was 120 on day 3, and I thought I was in the clear. . . . .nope

I The only 2 ways to keep my blood sugars down are to not eat anything for an entire day or wake up every 2 hours to take 5 units. If I ate something I needed to take about 20 units, but then my face and body will swell and I gain significant weight. (10 pounds in a week)

Anyone else had this happened to them, or know of a solution??

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Kenn027 and welcome to the forums. Have you tried adjusting your lantus?
Are you still in pain from the shoulder? (Illness can also push insulin needs up).

I haven't had this happen to me but in your position I would seek advice from my diabetic clinic.
Hopefully others will post with their experiences.

mhtyler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 1 for 52 years. 7 units Humalog, 20 units Lantus each morning. A1c 6.5

I got a Cortisone injection in my shoulder 2 weeks ago. The doctor warned me that my blood sugars will rise for 3 days. I told him that is no problem, I have a CGM and can just increase my insulin dosage if needed. Little did I know the nightmare I would go through.

The next day my fasting was over 400. I increased my insulin by 6 units to offset this high blood sugar. Got my blood sugar tested at my kidney doctor the next day and they called and told me my glucose level was above 600. I told them I had a Cortisone shot and they understood. My fasting was 120 on day 3, and I thought I was in the clear. . . . .nope

I The only 2 ways to keep my blood sugars down are to not eat anything for an entire day or wake up every 2 hours to take 5 units. If I ate something I needed to take about 20 units, but then my face and body will swell and I gain significant weight. (10 pounds in a week)

Anyone else had this happened to them, or know of a solution??
I took steriods, and they pushed me into diabetes 2. The only solution I know of is to get off the steriods as quickly as you can. For whatever reason, the steroids seem to shut down the body's ability to clear glucose. Nothing helped, so I'm not surprised insulin didn't do the trick. I took steroids for a long time, got neuropathy in my feet. Its not pretty. When you get off of them they will clear out and you'll return to some sort of baseline. Good luck.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Kenn027 I had a cortisone injection into my shoulder a few years ago, and as expected it pushed my blood sugar up for a few weeks, gradually tapering down, but I didn't get any body swelling by increasing my insulin. I'd second @EllieM suggestion to ask your diabetes team.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @Kenn027, yes, I’ve experienced the dreadful effect cortisone has on blood sugars. Unlike you, I was told by the doc who administered the cortisone that it would not affect blood sugar control.
It was awful, and very very difficult to find a high enough dose to lower the highs. I think the worst thing was just how bad high blood sugars make someone with Type One feel.
I contacted my GP who suggested that if the highs continued for a week I’d need to be treated for ketoacidosis. Luckily, they began to descend after five days.
Since then I’ve avoided cortisone, except for the occasional application of a very low (10mg) content cream for venous insufficiency.