Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since going low carb I don't do portion control nor count calories anymore, I find my diet self regulating fat and protein are very filling and in my case I eat till I'm full. Unlike when I was following the low fat higher carb diet I don't often feel hungry between meals.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can't eat jelly or jelly beans or jelly babies.. As the ingredients caused my stomach to slow down so badly it's taken nigh on 12 months for my stomach to recover. So yes portion control on jelly for me... No portion at all!,-lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
So basically, portion control is "whatever you want it to be".

Doesn't sound like a very coherent plan to me.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can't eat jelly or jelly beans or jelly babies..

Why, as a diabetic, would you ever eat jelly beans and jelly babies? Is this part of the "everything in moderation" theory? How many jelly babies is a moderate amount?

Reactions: 6 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If a body weight of X is maintained by a calorie intake of Y then regularly consuming more calories will lead to weight gain and regularly consuming less will lead to weight loss. To me, portion control is about finding the amount of calories required to reach and then maintain a desired body weight. I know when I'm looking at my plate if there is 'too much' on it. Curtailing the amount of carbs is portion control. I can have a huge amount of salad on a plate and very little carbs. Both portions are controlled just.one has to be limited. Portion control is a buzz word for don't eat.so much of the 'bad' stuff. Eat less of what causes you problems.

Reactions: 2 people

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If a body weight of X is maintained by a calorie intake of Y then regularly consuming more calories will lead to weight gain and regularly consuming less will lead to weight loss. To me, portion control is about finding the amount of calories required to reach and then maintain a desired body weight. I know when I'm looking at my plate if there is 'too much' on it. Curtailing the amount of carbs is portion control. I can have a huge amount of salad on a plate and very little carbs. Both portions are controlled just.one has to be limited. Portion control is a buzz word for don't eat.so much of the 'bad' stuff. Eat less of what causes you problems.

The problem with this is that "X" is both unknown and not a constant:
  1. You don't know what your basal metabolic rate is.
  2. You don't know how your calorific need changes on a day to day basis (in response to level of exertion, and environmental factors)
  3. It doesn't take account of how the food you eat influences your hormones and therefore your appetite and activity level.
The consequence of getting those calculations wrong is that you either live in a perpetual state of hunger, or that you'll overestimate you calorie requirement and overeat.

If you asked me "why is the restaurant crowded" and I told you "because more people entered than left" you'd look at me as if I was some sort of idiot. It doesn't tell you WHY the restaurant is crowded (because the chef had a special) it just tells you HOW it happened.

The real question is "WHY do people consume more calories than they burn?"

Low-carb is NOT portion control. I exclude carbohydrates from my diet, and eat as much as I feel like eating. I don't measure or way anything. If you do it properly, your appetite will control your calorie intake and automatically take account of any changes in your activity level.

Reactions: 6 people

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Could be a hypo treatment?

Maybe, but it was in the context of portion control:

I can't eat jelly or jelly beans or jelly babies.. As the ingredients caused my stomach to slow down so badly it's taken nigh on 12 months for my stomach to recover. So yes portion control on jelly for me... No portion at all!,-lol

Maybe you can "portion control" candy. It'd have to be a very small portion though.

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it's below 30 (for weight loss) someday later I'll find out how much is enough

With a fair bit of experimenting, I've ascertained that in order to keep in mild ketosis, have stable BG readings, and curb food cravings I shouldn't really stray much further than 35g of daily carbs. I wish my threshold were higher, but that remains my wish.

It may vary according to many other factors, naturally, but since I've been keeping to 30g of carbs from non-starchy vegetables my body has been working and feeling like a well oiled machine.

If I may be allowed to continue with that simile, I'm starting to think that carbs may just not be the best fuel for such machine. Sure, we can and do use them, but if there were a choice, proteins and fats are probably closer to optimal fuel.

That's one explanation I can find for the many people who got rid of health problems once they drastically reduced carbs consumption. Essentially, I would hypothesise that my body became diabetic when it just couldn't cope any more with the relentless flow of the wrong type of fuel.

Reactions: 11 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Jelly babies and beans were as hypo stoppers as recommended by HCP's. 3 to stop a hypo. Now 7 dolly mixtures.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Jelly babies and beans were as hypo stoppers as recommended by HCP's. 3 to stop a hypo. Now 7 dolly mixtures.

I was recommended a glucose tablet that you could buy at Boots. I forget what it was called. I preferred it because the wrapping looked quite medical, and it didn't suit my sense of adulthood to carry sweeties around!
Kate

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was recommended a glucose tablet that you could buy at Boots. I forget what it was called. I preferred it because the wrapping looked quite medical, and it didn't suit my sense of adulthood to carry sweeties around!
Kate

This made me smile.
Last time I flew from Heathrow they inspected my purse and found a small tupperware box with cubed tofu and broccoli.
The custom guy asked: "Ever considered carrying around candies or drugs, like everybody else?" :happy:

Reactions: 14 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I hate gluco tabs of any type, cant stand lucozade. My dsn at the time did not want me having a mini mars or milk with sugar which is my favourite.
So now if hypo I portion control on dolly mixtures instead. Anything with jelly substance to it kills my stomach from working...

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is all off topic again..let's get back to discussing the GP's original post and how his paper can help us all get more acceptance of low carbing.

jonty1

Been on a LCHF diet since diagnosis in June Type 2. had my Hba1c results today and it is 40. I think this is now within normal range so I am made up. Thanks to everyone here for all the good advise. It should be the norm for all GP'S to recommend this site.

Reactions: 13 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is all off topic again..let's get back to discussing the GP's original post and how his paper can help us all get more acceptance of low carbing.

I agree !!
Low Carb Diet In General Practice: Article in March edition of Practical Diabetes
Update march 24/03/2014; find the full article free to view here
;
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf
The idea is that you can also show it to health care professionals involved to show them its a valid choice of diet. The work also has two short mentions in the British Medical Journal BMJ2014;348:g1753

Reactions: 21 people

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree !!
Low Carb Diet In General Practice: Article in March edition of Practical Diabetes
Update march 24/03/2014; find the full article free to view here;
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf
The idea is that you can also show it to health care professionals involved to show them its a valid choice of diet. The work also has two short mentions in the British Medical Journal BMJ2014;348:g1753

Downloaded and about to start reading it.
Thank you very much, Southport GP!

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
Many thanks will digest with my cup of coffee.
(Wish you were my doc a year ago when I needed more assistance to cope)