Disagreement is not rejection.

B

badcat

No that's not true @Bluetit1802

If we are thinking about the same group of people they were banned (some left of their own accord) because of their behaviour on the forum rather than the diet they followed.

They intimidated and ganged up on members who didn't follow their own example and wanted to turn the forum into a low-carb forum only, they tried to dictate the terms of the forum to the Admin on how it should be run and when this failed they resorted to other tactics, one was asking members not to post on the forum for 24 hours to send a message to the Admin in the hope that they'd back down and listen to their demands, I remember it all too well and the forum was a very unpleasant place to visit.

Thankfully those days are long behind us now and hope we never see it happen again.
That would be around the time i left the forum - only dipped back in a couple of weeks ago. I remember some of the LC info being initially useful, then a pain in the **** because of the dogmatism adopted by some - guess that was before they were ejected

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

If we are thinking about the same group of people they were banned (some left of their own accord) because of their behaviour on the forum rather than the diet they followed.

They intimidated and ganged up on members who didn't follow their own example and wanted to turn the forum into a low-carb forum only, they tried to dictate the terms of the forum to the Admin on how it should be run and when this failed they resorted to other tactics, one was asking members not to post on the forum for 24 hours to send a message to the Admin in the hope that they'd back down and listen to their demands, I remember it all too well and the forum was a very unpleasant place to visit.

Thankfully those days are long behind us now and hope we never see it happen again.

I believe the events you are talking about happened before I joined. I don't recognise your description at all. However, I did witness the events I described . It is all a long time ago and thank goodness this forum is in a much better place these days.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I believe the events you are talking about happened before I joined. I don't recognise your description at all. However, I did witness the events I described . It is all a long time ago and thank goodness this forum is in a much better place these days.

The same time, I'd say around 3 years ago, the members in question (if we thinking of the same ones) set-up their own low-carb forum but I believe they fell-out with each-other (and the forum eventually closed).

Reactions: Robinredbreast

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That reminds me, actually, of another "rule" I've learned over the years: Hold your ideas lightly.

http://edte.ch/blog/2015/02/10/hold-your-ideas-lightly/

Essentially, be prepared to be proven wrong, because if you can be persuaded that your cherished belief is incorrect, you'll be a more enlightened person for it. But, moreover, you won't lose friends because you're a dogmatic a**h**e who doesn't listen to reason.

Edit: Language. Sorry!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The same time, I'd say around 3 years ago, the members in question (if we thinking of the same ones) set-up their own low-carb forum but I believe they fell-out with each-other (and the forum eventually closed).

No the other forum has not closed. There has been no major falling out, just less posts because they all have lives to lead, thanks to low carbing many have simply moved on. The thing is over there you can post what you like, without it being removed by moderators, so any disagreements are public - and hey, just honest to goodness debate. Here the falling out is masked and hidden. We don't know how many people have been 'dissuaded' from posting here. Back then if you said low carb over here a handful of people would argue with you and cause upset - I had one person telling me on a thread that I was 'wrong'...when I was speaking about my own experiences! I reported it but that person was well and truly protected by the powers that be, nothing was done about that bullying then and I see the same thing happening to non-LCHFers now. I feel this forum has move too far towards LCHF with the exclusion of other methods of controlling diabetes.

Three years ago some very good guys were banned because they were goaded by people who didn't like LCHF. Everytime they posted the handful of non-LCHFers would argue with them, not just post what worked for them, they argued. It was upsetting and confusing for newbies. That was bullying - nothing was done, except to ban the good guys. I do so hope the same thing won't happen to non LCHFers here now. To me it's a case of 'plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose'. There has always been bullying here and I don't see that changing anytime soon, no matter how many mods tell us otherwise.

Edit: I find it a little ironic that the people who were banned 3 years ago would be welcome here now because they all support LCHF. Funny world isn't it?

Edit 2: I was only an occasional lurker in 2012 so wasn't aware of what was going on back then. I am referring to 2014

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No the other forum has not closed.

Right, the group I'm referring to had apparently moved over to Facebook due to the forum being dead in the water, maybe we have our wires crossed and are thinking of two different groups.

Here the falling out is masked and hidden. We don't know how many people have been 'dissuaded' from posting here.

Crikey I would imagine it would be in the 100's........if not the 1000's.

I do often wonder why so many people join, make one post then disappear altogether, at some point in the future it would be good if the Admin did a survey and tried to find the answers why.

There has always been bullying here and I don't see that changing anytime soon, no matter how many mods tell us otherwise.

Only by reporting the offenders can the problem be rectified, I honestly think more ''good guys'' have left voluntarily then have been banned, I think everyone (well almost everyone) is here with the best intentions...........no matter what diet they follow.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do often wonder why so many people join, make one post then disappear altogether, at some point in the future it would be good if the Admin did a survey and tried to find the answers why.

I think there's loads of reasons why:

- People come here (often) when they've just received life-changing news (a diagnosis of diabetes for them or a loved one) and just need a place to feel connected briefly before getting on with their lives.

- People post once, but then enjoy reading more than posting.

- People introduce themselves, but aren't confident with typing (for loads of reasons - English as a second language, new to the internet, don't have regular PC access etc)

- People just don't want to connect to a community. They have support, they just don't quite know how to shape that to their diabetes.

- People ask for specific advice about a particular thing, get loads of input and then, problem solved, go their merry way.

- People might have joined more than one forum and picked a different one to us.

And then all the less nice ones.

And exit poll could be interesting, but how do you know when someone has left? You can read without logging in, so do then wait X amount of time since their IP last showed up? And if they're disengaged from us after that time, would they really take a moment to fill in a survey about what turned them off?

To many of us, this site is a key part of our strategy, and we cherish it for that. But it makes it easy to take implicit rejection ("Why doesn't everyone love us?! We're the best forum EVER!!") personally, too. That fact is, pleasing all the people all the time just isn't possible and it's okay if people don't universally think we're fab - there are lots and lots of people who get a lot out of being here, whether they post or lurk.

It's good for a community to take a health-check (like this thread), but stoicism is also good - all those phrases our mothers used to hand out to soothe our feelings are still relevant: "Takes all sorts..." and so on.

P

pollensa

We are human. We love to succeed and advertise our successes openly. Our failures, however, are kept close. If we choose a particular successful pathway then we mostly want to share that success but we should be mindful that our pathway may lead someone else to failure and vice versa. I am new here but have seen several stories of a return to healthier status all being fantastic but does it mean that any of those methods would automatically suit me? Not at all, and should I succeed in my quest to take back control I cannot poo poo anyone else's methods of control. Honesty and open mindedness are key to keeping a forum of this size from becoming a one trick pony. We are a diverse community therefore it follows there will be diverse roads to recovery. Respectful debate, yes but peer reviewed input? I'm not sure about that one. After all, we are in the business of taking anecdotal evidence to educate each other in the main with a goodly amount of science that backs up the stories of recovery but we may be fighting for a long time to come in the battle to change the accepted norms, until that day comes we must stand together.

Excellent view point overall, especially I quote " battelt to change the accepted norms". Too Many people in with Diabetes world and with Diabetes seem to follow without any question and view the guideline recommendations are 100% correct, this is not the reality, not always recommendations or ones Doctor is correct, i.e. we are human afterall, my Doctor for instance, had no idea that Metformin was originally for malaria, and was ashamed as he put it regards searches I made on Diabetes from reputable sources, May Clinic, and Who for example, that he was not aware of...for this, all have to come together, and one particular main point is CUT OFF LEVELS, they should not differ worldwide which they do currently, different approaches of diagnosis viewed, there should be ONE CUT OFF THAT THE WORLD FOLLOWS Strictly, this criteria should not change i.e. New Zealand have 6.7% X over for their A1C, Spain 6.5%, UK different Diabetes organizations have 6.4% some 6.5% this is appalling and crazy, we are all confused, so people who put forward new information obtained, from reliable sources not internet should be welcomed by all whether information is of any beneficial use of not, so peer reviewed input, is not a way of going forward, educations, new methods, new ideas, new information is valuable.

How many people know of the wonderful Genteel lancing Device I purchased in Spain today, its amazing....does not hurt,
prick anywhere on the body its by suction brings up the blood without having to squeeze, can be used on a child when sleeping its so painless, use it on knees, palms, uses square style lancet ends, and is wonderful. Perhaps by pre review of this product, may not go down well with some and screened, because other products are put forth instead, and this would be so sad for everyone, as I am sure thousands of Diabetic persons do not know of Genteel? I use this as an example, to raise awareness of new products to think they may be screened before allowing the post to go ahead is not good common sense for anyone.

Great Post, and like your approach.

Mallorca

Reactions: Guzzler
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Agree, it was one of the most awful things to happen on the forum, disgraceful bullying and nastiness, this forum nearly went into meltdown ( but picked it's self up and moved quickly on )

Thankfully, those day have gone, which is like a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: noblehead

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This was in 2012 by all accounts. I wasn't here then so know nothing about it. I arrived in 2014, and it was then that I observed constant back biting, squabbles, sniping and bullying with bans and regulars leaving. My original point was simply that in those days matters were considerably worse. I stand by that.

Reactions: Alison Campbell
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was in 2012 by all accounts. I wasn't here then so know nothing about it. I arrived in 2014, and it was then that I observed constant back biting, squabbles, sniping and bullying with bans and regulars leaving. My original point was simply that in those days matters were considerably worse. I stand by that.

I agree about the date. I got an invite to the new site where everybody went. The invite came by PM. The link no longer works. It was Nov 11, 2012

Edited by moderator to remove quoted PM content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Came to this forum only a shortish while ago, how disappointing that I missed the flame wars. Mind you I have been in some forums in the past where it got very hot. I like it nice and cool like it is here now.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blue Tit, quote your tag Tough times don't last. Tough people do.
I'm obviously not tough since the constant bullying from people with alternative views, both on and off this site (ie those who were banned) eventually resulted in my giving up posting more than occasionally here. It goes back way beyond the dates quoted. I now rarely look here and even more rarely reply.

How many others are like me, or even didn't last as long as I did ?... shall I try to list them?
I hope that people on the forum now will accommodate alternative views, both those backed up by research and by personal experience .Whether that happens or not is entirely up to the present membership.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think it has gone full circle now. It's all about the LCHF now with low carbing being promoted in every moderators' signature strip. Some things change, but sadly not the bullying as I witnessed today. Like you, I have been here a while. I am just glad I am not a new member arriving today. Must be tough nowadays.
@Avocado Sevenfold it may have been you who recently posted that it is possible to do low carb Vegan, it may not be appropriate for this thread but I for one would be interested to know more, so please tag me in when appropriate as I would like to abstain from fish and meat at least twice a week.

Reactions: GrantGam

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

On checking it does go back to 2012 and by the comments above it does look like their forum is now defunct.

But I do remember the individuals that your referring to @Bluetit1802 in 2014, they too caused trouble and went on to set up their own forum, when they did start posting on their new forum all they did was ridicule the members, Mods, Admin and owners of the DCUK forum, some of the attacks were very personal, particular against the forum owner due to his race.

And if they're disengaged from us after that time, would they really take a moment to fill in a survey about what turned them off?

You made some good points @SockFiddler , in answer to the above, I'd expect many wouldn't bother but just the same some would, the feedback would make interesting reading should a survey ever happen.

Last edited: