1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by catherinecherub, Jun 17, 2011.

1. theoldfunker

theoldfunker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

oops that should be {cramp } made me laugh though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Japes

Japes Type 2 · Well-Known Member

After a difficult review with a GP who is fixated on the immediate information on the screen rather than the whole picture I am sternly telling myself I have worked damned hard to keep controlled with diet and exercise, as well only taking meds if absolutely necessary. I will NOT feel guilty when GP suggests I'm not doing enough with either diet or exercise nor am I feeling guilty at getting cross with said GP.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Active Member

So glad I saw this post. Since starting a new career in what many see as a dream job (I'm a sports journalist and tennis writer) I saw all my good work losing weight undone by irregular hours and irregular eating habits and often no say at all in how we get our grub in media centres (basically this is what you're getting, tough nuggies if you don't like it/miss feeding time!)

But what has surprised me as I have told friends and family in how many were shocked at the news - and in fact I have to tell them that with family history I was always going to be pre-disposed to the condition.

My 'sins' were not maintaining my exercise (some complications - no cartilage in my knees anymore make it a challenge to run/play tennis - I do, but I have to suffer for it!), and being lazy in the weeks where I am only home for a few days before heading out again, getting takeaways and my regular 'if it's Friday, then it must be scampi and chips for lunch' attitude.

All that is easy to change. Freelancing means tightening my belt anyway, so I took to batch cooking a lot of stuff to do away with takeaways when I hadn't got anything in fresh. Unplanned, I dropped almost a stone in weight which prompted me to go to the doctor in the first place, so now it is a matter of getting that spare tyre around my waist gone.

Because my diagnosis was also high cholesterol and recent stresses have elevated my blood pressure, I am trying to focus on stabilising one thing, and at least trying to do my conditioning/rehab exercises daily. We'll see what happens when the next blood test in a couple of months happens.

4. Olivemay62

Olivemay62 Type 2 · Member

It's heartwarming to know that it's not our fault, diabetis saught us out not the other way round. I have been told and explained to but I still don't understand it.which is strange as I have always worked in hospitals and doctors surgeries,praps Iam in denial.a while ago I had a bout of depression. A 'friend' said ,I would never allow that to happen to me! I was gobsmacked.
    I struggle with the diet guidelines. If I cut my carbs I feel hungry and tired. What does one do. I crave fish and chips or Chinese meal.i am not on medication.my nurse says my blood is 6.5. The rest is normal. I am about two stone overweight. Any advice and tips will be helpful. Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 3
  5. letstalk1

letstalk1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got diabetes from steroids I had to take as part for anti-rejection treatment following a kidney transplant (due to inherited kidney disease). I was warned that there was a risk of steroid induced diabetes prior to taking it but had little option. I had never had a problem with weight and my lifestyle had zero to do with my diabetes. I would make the same choice again as I would far rather have diabetes than be on dialysis four days a week. I would love to meet someone who told me it was my fault; it would be their fault that I smacked them in their judgemental, arrogant and stupid mouth. Love and kisses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flicey

Flicey Type 2 · Newbie

Yes, it's easy to play the blame game with yourself. I just had my bloods done a week ago and my level was 9.8. I've since then cut out all carbs except Weetabix 1 for breakfast. My fasting level this am before breakfast was 7.3. I am determined to keep going as I don't want the additional medication offered of Gliptins as the side effects seem worse than Diabetes. My practice said to me, "You do know it is a serious disease". Yes, I said, thinking of course I do, I am not stupid. I am also keeping a food diary and using this site to do the diet plan and logging my food online to see what nutrients, vitamins, carbs and calories I am using. It's not easy but I am determined not to increase my medication. I've chucked out anything from my freezer and cupboards that has carbs in it. It's drastic but well worth doing. Making my own soup too!

8. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Dump the weetabix ... full of sugars. A little wake up call. Then see the improvement :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook