Eat less exercise more!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
This is me typing in your quote box!
Sally - you quoted me with something I didn't post.
Not sure what is going on there!

Possibly you typed inside the quote boxes?

Anyway I read somewhere (Volek and Phinney?) that about 1 in 5 can't keep their cholesterol down with LCHF and they might be better off with a balanced mix including whole grains.

I take that to mean low GI carbs.

I am wondering what my cholesterol will be next test. My BG is storming along and I'm hoping for an HbA1c under 6 for the first time since diagnosis but I could be one of those who can't keep cholesterol under control. We shall see.

Last edited:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Saturated fat is a killer for me.
I do tend to be generally lower fat, but I eat a healthy Mediterranean style diet, which is fairly low GI anyway, and it's non saturated fat when I do eat it.

S

serenity648

Saturated fat is a killer for me.
I do tend to be generally lower fat, but I eat a healthy Mediterranean style diet, which is fairly low GI anyway, and it's non saturated fat when I do eat it.
what fats do you eat?

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The words that are bound to irritate when used by a HCP as a simple (for them) answer to shift responsibility to you.
Reminds me of being told, when reporting that there was more work to be done than time available, to "work smarter not harder". The implication being, of course, that it was my fault that I wasn't bright enough to fit all the work in.

The correct response of course, in both cases, is to take joint responsibility for solving the problem.

However I can report that eating less and exercising more can result in weight loss, as long as you go to uncomfortable lengths and have the time, physical ability, location and determination to go on a prolonged campaign.

I have been a bad person, and prior to the year end I have spent quite a bit of time away from home being tempted by the food normal people eat. My particular downfall was seriously good roast potatoes which lit up pleasure centres I'd forgotten that I had. My alcohol consumption was routine and fairly major (by NHS standards) of a beer or two during the day plus half a bottle of wine with my evening meal and perhaps a brandy as a digestif before bed. More on social occasions, obviously.

My HbA1c was 7.7 just before Christmas and my cholesterol 8.39; both way higher than recent tests.
[Noted to check further about cholesterol sometimes tracking HbA1c.]

Anyway I decided that I was probably drifting into a danger area and decided to have a campaign to improve stuff. Doing several things at once means that I cannot track which were effective and which weren't but I have another blood test scheduled 3 months after the last one to see if I really (in the opinion of the surgery) need to try statins again.

I am not a fan of statins, which is another reason to improve my overall numbers.

Anyway:

(1) Increase Metformin from (2 * 500 mg) to (3 * 500 mg). Two in the morning and one at night.

(2) Try to briskly walk at least 4 miles every day, or at least every other day. I am lucky to live by the sea, and a return trip along the promenade is 4.4 miles which makes for an easy exercise regime with minimum organisation overheads and cost.

(3) Cut out the booze - which has drifted to one smallish drink per day with the main meal. Psychological weakness on my part but a small glass of red or white wine sipped slowly removes the illogical cravings without hopefully doing too much damage. This hopefully will let my liver get on with its main functions to do with glucose and cholesterol without being derailed to handle metabolic poisons.

(4) Eat very little. Current regime is:
  • Strong coffee with butter and double cream around 8-9 in the morning. Take 2 Metformin with this.
  • Apple or similar around 2 if I am feeling desperate.
  • Lidle roll with protein filling around 4-5. Salad sometimes but not always. Metformin with this.
  • Small drink with meal (sometimes, not always)
  • Drink plenty of fizzy water (big green bottles from Lidl) with a squirt of lemon juice (yep, Lidl again) in each.
I have noted that moving my main (only?) meal to between 4 and 5 ties in with a recent theory about this being better for you because of the longer fasting period between last meal of the day and first meal of the next. For me this could be around 16 hours.

It is (unsurprisingly) working at the moment, in that I am losing something like a pound every other day. Some days I lose a pound a day. So far the very dense meal of a Lidl roll and protein seems to fill me up for a few hours, and then it is just a battle of willpower not to snack on anything before bed. Keeping extra busy helps.

So far I am more alert. However a constant nagging hunger can do that to you.

I seem to be sleeping better, but then again not drinking alcohol later in the evening probably reduces bladder pressure and I suspect that when the liver has finished processing alcohol somewhere in the middle of the night and switches back to more normal functions this can disturb sleep. Hot flushes and the like. So lack of that will help.

If I can hold the line and lose even 4 lbs per week then my long term target weight may be achievable.
I have always wanted to get down to 11 stone 7 lbs.
The nearest I ever got was 11 stone 10 lbs.
My starting weight this time was 12 stone 10 lbs, and I am now down to 12 stone 5 lbs.
Of course, the first few pounds are generally the easiest and then it gets progressively harder.

Am I happy?

I am struggling against being totally miserable.
I feel good after my brisk walk, but that wears off.
The rest of the time I am constantly aware of denial.

Food has been a traditional reward and celebration in our society, especially sweet things.
Birthday? Cake!!

Alcohol has always been built into society as well.
Bad day mate? I'll buy you a beer to drown your sorrows.
Promotion? Champagne!!
Wedding/birth? (Hopefully not on the same day). More champagne!!

So I am in the traditional mode of "Give up smoking, drinking and sex and you may not live to be 100 but it will bl**dy well feel like it!".

It feels as though if this campaign really improves my numbers then I will be faced with the choice of health or pleasure/comfort and I'm not convinced that I can countenance a regime of constant denial for the rest of my life.

So "eat less exercise more" may be (when you really push it) a way to lose weight but is it sustainable? It certainly isn't the easy solution that non-combatants sometime present it as.

Anyway, this rant has distracted me for a while which can only be a good thing.
LittleGrayCat:

Yes, 'eat less and exercise more' is something I have been doing for more than 25 years and I have been enjoying life like I have no diabetes.

Why is it easy for me to eat less and exercise more?

Because during the four years that the Philippines was occupied by the Japanese Imperial Army in WW II in the 1940s, there were many many days when we had nothing to eat. And we survived. Starvation did not kill.me. It surely made me stronger. So D&E is the natural choice for me to manage my type 2 diabetes. I eat only twice a day and I run the stairs 4 times per day for a total time of 1 hour. No snacks, only water between meals. I eat mostly carbohydrates to avoid having hypoglycemia problems. I am very aware that carbohydrates do consistently create high fasting and post-meal blood sugar levels but they have not harmed me yet. Why? I really do not know. Maybe because my four daily exercise sessions make them short-lived and temporary.

Bonny Damocles
Male 81 years old, 5'7"
Past A1c's - between 5.2% and 6.3% (5.8% in October 2016)
Only drug I now take is 20mg/day of Lisinopril for high blood pressure
I suspect that I am the first untreated and complication-free 25+year T2D
First blood glucose reading was 468 mg/dl in July 1991, the basis of my diagnosis
My medical records are kept at Mid-Michigan Medical Center, MI. USA

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just another quick update.

I have increased the amount I am eating and so I no longer have hunger pangs.
My weight has been stuck at almost exactly 12 stone (12 stone 0.4 pounds) for quite a while, although it jumped to 12 stone 2 lbs this morning for no apparent reason.

My fasting BG is less good, being around 6; some days a bit below and others a bit above but I haven't been able to pin it down to a pattern.

I have been reasonably hard core LCHF for over 8 weeks now so I should be fully adapted into nutritional ketosis.

I do wonder about the maintenance of BG levels when you are in nutritional ketosis.
According to Volek & Phinney once you are fat adapted your production of insulin goes right down as you don't really need very much any more (this is one reason keto adapted people need to come out of ketosis before a FGTT so their insulin production can ramp up again).
If you are producing very little insulin then perhaps you just tick along at what your body considers a normal BG level without the peaks and troughs you get when you are managing a higher glucose intake.

Then again I may just be eating too much protein and not enough fat.

Anyway I am reasonably adjusted to my long term food plan and the cake cravings are occasional and minor. I do crave baked beans now and then but not too badly.

Blood test booked for early April, and we shall see what HbA1C is (better be good) and more importantly what my cholesterol levels are. It is possible that I am one of those who can't tolerate LCHF without my cholesterol going through the roof. I really don't want to go on statins but I am note sure how you asses the cardiovascular risk of high cholesterol at my age and weight. It is supposed to decrease in women with age but that would be a step too far! :eek:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood test booked for early April, and we shall see what HbA1C is (better be good) and more importantly what my cholesterol levels are. It is possible that I am one of those who can't tolerate LCHF without my cholesterol going through the roof. I really don't want to go on statins but I am note sure how you asses the cardiovascular risk of high cholesterol at my age and weight. It is supposed to decrease in women with age but that would be a step too far! :eek:

Make sure you fast for the test, whether or not you have been told to. The older you get if you are female, the more cholesterol the body needs, apparently, and there is no evidence to show women are at risk of CVD with higher cholesterol. In men there is no evidence to show they are at risk either unless they have already had a CVD event, in which case there is evidence..

S

serenity648

Just another quick update.

I have increased the amount I am eating and so I no longer have hunger pangs.
My weight has been stuck at almost exactly 12 stone (12 stone 0.4 pounds) for quite a while, although it jumped to 12 stone 2 lbs this morning for no apparent reason.

My fasting BG is less good, being around 6; some days a bit below and others a bit above but I haven't been able to pin it down to a pattern.

I have been reasonably hard core LCHF for over 8 weeks now so I should be fully adapted into nutritional ketosis.

I do wonder about the maintenance of BG levels when you are in nutritional ketosis.
According to Volek & Phinney once you are fat adapted your production of insulin goes right down as you don't really need very much any more (this is one reason keto adapted people need to come out of ketosis before a FGTT so their insulin production can ramp up again).
If you are producing very little insulin then perhaps you just tick along at what your body considers a normal BG level without the peaks and troughs you get when you are managing a higher glucose intake.

Then again I may just be eating too much protein and not enough fat.

Anyway I am reasonably adjusted to my long term food plan and the cake cravings are occasional and minor. I do crave baked beans now and then but not too badly.

Check that your cholesterol test will give you a breakdown. My surgery refuses to give me anything but a test which gives the total cholesterol. Not helpful at all.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do get the breakdown; and the results on line as well.

Reactions: Bluetit1802