Greetings from Yorkshire

Excalibur62

Hi guys, I am not diabetic even though there is a strong family history of it, my wife Heather though was not so lucky. Two years ago she had a near fatal heart attack bought on by being an undiagnosed T2 diabetic. Two years later after lots of research we have been LCHF and she has managed to reverse it. We are now ambassadors representing Bradford for the Public Health Collaboration and knew about the the good work you guys are doing over here. Strangely enough I never realised there was a forum here (even though I have watched most of David Unwins videos) and it was only while reading diabetes unpacked and seeing an old friend from the past, Nigel Fowler mention it so thought I had better come over and say hello.

If Nigel is still on here he should recognise the username and where he knows me from lol.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Great that your wife has reversed her type 2 and that you are spreading the LCHF word.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. I'm just down the road from you and extend a warm 'Si' thee' to a fellow tyke.

Excalibur62

Thanks guys for your welcome. I have had a fair bit of experience with T2, as a child it took my fathers eyesight, he was running a large successful haulage company at the time and I saw him throw in the towel, sell all the wagons as the stresses of the job and the frustration of not being able to do it took it's toll. My grandmother had a leg amputated because of it (I remember her complaining that she had lost half a stone and my father saying you daft old ****** its because they have chopped your leg off) The eye opener for me though was Heather having to be bought back to life with a defibrillator, I never want to go through that again.

Biggles2

Two years later after lots of research we have been LCHF and she has managed to reverse it. We are now ambassadors representing Bradford for the Public Health Collaboration and knew about the the good work you guys are doing over here.
Welcome @Excalibur62! Well done to your wife for reversing things, and also to you for doing LCHF along with her. As you probably know, there is a strong genetic component with this disease so kudos to you for taking charge now. This is a great forum, and you sound like someone who will be a valuable contributor!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome! I’m the diabetic in our family but my non diabetic husband willingly eats the low carb meals I cook, it makes life so much easier for me. Thanks to this forum, low carbing and self monitoring I have reversed my diabetes too :happy:

Reactions: jackors and Prem51
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys for your welcome. I have had a fair bit of experience with T2, as a child it took my fathers eyesight, he was running a large successful haulage company at the time and I saw him throw in the towel, sell all the wagons as the stresses of the job and the frustration of not being able to do it took it's toll. My grandmother had a leg amputated because of it (I remember her complaining that she had lost half a stone and my father saying you daft old ****** its because they have chopped your leg off) The eye opener for me though was Heather having to be bought back to life with a defibrillator, I never want to go through that again.

Hello from down the road in Sheffield. At the risk of reproducing the 4 Yorkshireman's sketch from Monty Python, I have a family history of T2 diabetes also. My brother who's 7 years younger than me has had it for 5 years, and it may well have been a contributing factor to a heart attack he had prior to its diagnosis.

My paternal grandfather died at 65 of a heart attack too, despite being pretty active and outwardly healthy, but he was never diagnosed with diabetes - did he have it?

I've just been diagnosed as T2 at age 58 and am going low carb, I'll see how it goes. I'm going to bring semi-retirement forward too (and accept lower income), as I definitely feel better and get lower BG if I walk the dogs for an hour after breakfast - not something I can do sat behind a desk!

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and TIANDB

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And welcome from me in Leeds. No-one in my family has ever been known to have diabetes, but they dropped like flies from heart related problems, so maybe they were just undiagnosed.

Reactions: jackors and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leeds, Barnsley, Sheffield, Bradford? I’m feeling out numbered, where’s all the southerners?! :wideyed::joyful:

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Leeds, Barnsley, Sheffield, Bradford? I’m feeling out numbered, where’s all the southerners?! :wideyed::joyful:
not me either - I'm from Huddersfield. Sorry Rachox afraid you're outnumbered!

Reactions: Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the impression from the Panorama programme that Birmingham is the diabetes ca;pital of the UK.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How nice it would be if someone would organise a low carb / diabetes conference which we could all attend. In Leeds, of course! With suitable catering.
It’s a three hour drive for me, can we have a sleepover please?! :hilarious:

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. Sorry to read some of the more brutal side of your experience but glad to read about your wife taking control. By the way, I'm Glaswegian...and you're all southerners to me! ;)

Reactions: Freema