1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by desidiabulum, Oct 30, 2014.

1. seadragon

seadragon Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Your link just shows how they can skew the results they want by organising a meaningless test. They all tested just once a day and so that told them nothing at all of any use. The idea of testing is to test the foods that affect your BG therefore is only of use when people know when to test and how to interpret the results otherwise of course it is both meaningless and stressful.

Teach people to test before and after meals to see which foods spike them and therefore gives them the tools to use and how to use the information and of course as many here will testify, it can transform your life and put you in control of your condition.

I wasn't given a meter nor test strips but after seeing it advised on here I would say it's the best thing I ever did. Doc would have had me on metformin and statins and on the downward spiral to insulin but instead I am feeling fitter and healthier than I did twenty years ago.

They are right it is pointless giving meters and strips and restricting to once a day but teach people to keep a food diary and tat before and after meals for a few months and you'd have far less diabetics on that downward slope.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Active Member

I do have a bad habit of testing to often i sometimes do about 10 tests a day i just hate it when my blood sugars to high

3. Footrest

Footrest Type 2 · Member

I too was advised by both nurses and docs not to test. Although I now have a meter I don’t necessarily disagree with them as one can become fixated on the meter and end up living by it when really a good diet and active lifestyle is most likely the best one can do to keep t2d under control.
    I only test myself a few times a week at fixed times right now- that may change over time.

4. Boo1979

Boo1979 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get strips on prescription due to being on Gliclizide
    At one point the surgery stopped the prescription and when I queried it I was told by the practice manager that T2 donkt need to test because all it does is make people anxious. I drew the Gps attention to the Nice guidance re prescribing strips for people on sulfonylureas and the requirement for us tobe testing BS prior to driving and my prescription was reinstated. I periodically end up going through the same process again but what Ive noticed is that its usually toward the end of the financial year and a pointed letter to one of the practce partner GPs soon sorts it out

• Like Like x 1
  5. 123657

123657 · Member

i think you should test your sugars weekly every year its up to you to do this or get someone to help you to test your sugar levels if you are not well enough to do it help and support to any casualty is very important

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook