Hello, I am so stressed!

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @oh_dear_me. I was diagnosed with a reading of 97 so very high. My GP agreed I should try to get it down by changing diet before trying meds.
I switched to a LCHF diet. After 6 months my levels were down to 47 and 6 months after that the reading was 37. I'm hoping I can get it lower again.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't take the meds and I don't know anything about PCOS but, in my case, I'm really glad I tried to do it with diet rather than medication. I just feel more in control this way.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: pleinster

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi if i can share some reassurance my HBa1c in Jan 17 was 101 just had my first 3 month check and got my HBa1c back at 45.Low carb diet and exercise is the key ,please listen to the folks they are brilliant.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @oh_dear_me

Lots of calm and sensible advice already.

Don't panic and don't feel stressed.

There are many many examples on this forum of people who have made huge improvements relatively quickly by following a few easy steps.

Don't be scared of Metformin. It is a safe drug and for many (the majority) there are no side effects. Try it, and if you are in the majority it will help you gain control of your BG levels.

Good luck, and remember, there are loads of people on the same journey as you and loads of people who can offer you support.

One day soon it will be you offering support to someone newly diagnosed, telling them how you managed to gain control.

O

oh_dear_me

Thank you everyone for all your replies. Well I am feeling much more positive this week about things. I have been religiously following the Blood sugar diet with 800 calories a day and can see results already. Lots of long walks in the fresh air and apart from a rotten cold that hit me today I feel determined. Only worry is a meal out tomorrow evening but I will check the on line menu before we get there!
Thank you for taking the time to reply with such positive messages....I really needed to hear them and to know it wasn't all doom and gloom.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you are managing with the blood sugar diet.

I read somewhere that Metformin may be used to manage PCOS - worth a Google...

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Being diagnosed as a "diabetic" is always a shock, it is a normal reaction, then you stabilize and get on with it.