Hello

Angelwings324

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Angie, 53, and I was recently diagnosed with diabetes T2, high cholesterol, and a number of food intolerances, including dairy, eggs, and gluten. I also suffer from fibromyalgia (diagnosed 2019) and osteoarthritis, so im just trying to get my head around everything and what I can and can't eat.
To be honest, I've been borderline t2 for about 10 years after gestational diabetes, where I managed to lose 2 stone, whilst pregnant. Unfortunately, I've put that and more back on since.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Angelwings234 and welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of good advice on this forum, and you'll find that many of us have made big changes through a low carbohydrate lifestyle. I'd strongly recommend getting hold of a glucose meter and using that to establish how well you deal with various carbohydrate foods. Carbs when digested turn to glucose, so restricting the amount of glucose - that your system can't deal with - helps greatly in reducing your blood glucose levels overall.

This link is really useful: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Reactions: Angelwings324

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Angie, 53, and I was recently diagnosed with diabetes T2, high cholesterol, and a number of food intolerances, including dairy, eggs, and gluten. I also suffer from fibromyalgia (diagnosed 2019) and osteoarthritis, so im just trying to get my head around everything and what I can and can't eat.
To be honest, I've been borderline t2 for about 10 years after gestational diabetes, where I managed to lose 2 stone, whilst pregnant. Unfortunately, I've put that and more back on since.
Hi Angie,

That's a lot to be dealing with, I'm so sorry. Is all dairy out of the question, or just cow's? I can still get away with some goat, but no cow/sheep/other. Thankfully there's stuff like coconut milk and yog! And since grain's not good for diabetics, the gluten thing might not hurt as much, if it's getting more than one issue sorted? Diabetes and high cholesterol fall under the Metabolic Syndrome umbrella (together with the possibilities of morbid obesity, high blood pressure, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), and those things can all usually be helped by going low carb. When getting that sorted, other things tend to fall in line as well.

We can help with some things.... Maybe not all of them, but some can get decidedly better.
Hugs,
Jo

Angelwings324

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
than
Hi Angie,

That's a lot to be dealing with, I'm so sorry. Is all dairy out of the question, or just cow's? I can still get away with some goat, but no cow/sheep/other. Thankfully there's stuff like coconut milk and yog! And since grain's not good for diabetics, the gluten thing might not hurt as much, if it's getting more than one issue sorted? Diabetes and high cholesterol fall under the Metabolic Syndrome umbrella (together with the possibilities of morbid obesity, high blood pressure, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), and those things can all usually be helped by going low carb. When getting that sorted, other things tend to fall in line as well.

We can help with some things.... Maybe not all of them, but some can get decidedly better.
Hugs,
Jo
Thank you Jo.
Yes all dairy is out (and goats milk but ewes milk is okay) so I've been trying vegan alternatives a nutritionist recomended (in relation to the intollerances) I love the Alpro barrista Coconut milk and yoghurt from coconut collab, I use the milk in coffee, only alternative milk that doesn't make the coffee taste odd. Then I have Plenish oat milk for my protein cereal or porridge.
I've stocked up on pistachios and walnuts for snacks, alongside berries.
I am morbidly obese unfortunately so have a lot to do, but i'm not focusing on the weight, more what I eat and when. My husband has already noticed a difference in how much better i'm moving.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Angelwings324

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Angelwings234 and welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of good advice on this forum, and you'll find that many of us have made big changes through a low carbohydrate lifestyle. I'd strongly recommend getting hold of a glucose meter and using that to establish how well you deal with various carbohydrate foods. Carbs when digested turn to glucose, so restricting the amount of glucose - that your system can't deal with - helps greatly in reducing your blood glucose levels overall.
Thanks Kenny
I've just started to look for a monitor so this will be really helpful.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
than

Thank you Jo.
Yes all dairy is out (and goats milk but ewes milk is okay) so I've been trying vegan alternatives a nutritionist recomended (in relation to the intollerances) I love the Alpro barrista Coconut milk and yoghurt from coconut collab, I use the milk in coffee, only alternative milk that doesn't make the coffee taste odd. Then I have Plenish oat milk for my protein cereal or porridge.
I've stocked up on pistachios and walnuts for snacks, alongside berries.
I am morbidly obese unfortunately so have a lot to do, but i'm not focusing on the weight, more what I eat and when. My husband has already noticed a difference in how much better i'm moving.
It sounds like you've got everything headed in the right direction, taking control and doing everything what you can do. You have alternatives that are workable and low carb, and a mindset that sounds, from your posts so far, very constructive. You've got this.
Hugs,
Jo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @KennyA , hi @Angelwings324 , here’s some info with links for UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

The strips are to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Type 1 of 50 years here with coeliacs disease.
Watch out for the gluten free alternatives as they often are more carb heavy than those with gluten in!

Welcome and i wish you well

Tony