Help! My Cooker Has Been Condemned

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a two ring electric hob from Argos being delivered this evening! Phew! :happy:
With that and the slow cooker and the microwave I think we’ll survive!
I’ve been meaning to try gammon cooked in Diet Coke in the slow cooker, looks like we’ll be having that for Sunday lunch!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have a two ring electric hob from Argos being delivered this evening! Phew! :happy:
I’ve been meaning to try gammon cooked in Diet Coke in the slow cooker, looks like we’ll be having that for Sunday lunch!
Diet coke OR diet Orangeade. Tried the orangeade myself over xmas and was lush

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diet coke OR diet Orangeade. Tried the orangeade myself over xmas and was lush
That sounds good, in my high carb days I used apple juice

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My cooker is new still in warranty. It wasn’t leaking til the first engineer tried to fix something else!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just saw this really sorry for you we are very dependent! Think though if had a hob like you’ve just bought with my ip and slow cooker I’d be fine. I use my slow cooker or ip all the time at moment favourites are mainly standard casseroles with some ingredients browned or seared on the hob and then stuck in sc or ip for cooking. I’ve done:
Beef/pork/lamb/ chicken casseroles just use a few veggies you could serve with things like cauliflower rice or mash or celeriac mash cooked in microwave
Curries by adding some spices
Joints of meat in either the pot or sc
Bolognese sauce or chilli in sc
Etc think you’ll be fine as long you’ve got a basic hob facility which it sounds like you’ve bought.
Good luck you may find you use oven less once you start using your slow cooker again. I use mine most days.

Reactions: Rachox

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about something like https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gosystem-dynasty-compact-ii-stove-p409554?

Generally available cheaper in local stores.

I'm using one for frying stuff at the moment (not at home) because the ceramic hob is (IMHO) useless for most things.

Great for one pot dishes, even better when you can do veggies in the microwave whilst you cook the main dish over the burner.
Thats the one that set my kitchen on fire....nothing wrong with the cooker but beware of multiples of cheap gas cylinders (mine were bought on Amazon) because that is what the Fire Service thought it was a likely faulty cylinder. When you connect it the drawer door should close but when I did that and tried to light it the leaking gas sent the flames 4 ft high. The Firemen said it was only the granite island that saved the kitchen. They dont recommend using them indoors though of course I had done up to then during powercuts. Apparently a slow leaking gas cylinder killed a couple sleeping in a tent a couple of years back. Be very careful, I had a lucky escape.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Rachox, on a more serious note, how about something like this?: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...da-portable-induction-hob-white-art-40331630/

Lidl and Aldi also do them, but that will depend on where they are on their sales cycles.

You need to be aware that not all pans are suitable for use with an induction hob.

There needs to be a steel base, or a steel insert in the base, to allow the magnetic field to induce the heat in the pan.

Having said that, we have a Lidl one for the caravan when we are on mains electric and it is very good.

Reactions: zauberflote

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love the gammon with Diet Coke back in my days of slimming world. Never even thought to do it now - that’s definitely going to be on my next shopping list!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Rachox UGH!! I am glad they caught the gas leak before anything truly awful happened!
Nuke:
LC bread with cheese on it
Cheese alone: be really careful! Melted super extra owner’s mark reserve 3-yr cheddar is amazing!
Any veggie
Your porridge?
There’s a microwave-mug-size chocolate cake recipe floating around the interwebs, that could probably go LC really easily just to prove one could!
Any meat fish fowl?
How about a tiny grill, I used to get them for peanuts at the CVS. Propane, but no law says you can’t remove the insert and use charcoal. Make foil or parchment packets with veg and seasonings and oil, bake in covered grill. Make your neighbors jealous!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This happened to us a couple of months ago. I made loads of chicken & vegetable casseroles, sausage casseroles, beef casseroles (can you see a pattern here ). I mainly use leeks, mushrooms, celery, Swede sometimes, a small carrot, onions and top off with spinach at the end. I use cream as the base with a stock cube and some seasoning & mixed herbs. Sometimes add tomato pasta depending on meat used.
All freeze well & last in fridge for a few days for microwaving.
Hope your cooker is fixed soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This happened to us a couple of months ago. I made loads of chicken & vegetable casseroles, sausage casseroles, beef casseroles (can you see a pattern here ). I mainly use leeks, mushrooms, celery, Swede sometimes, a small carrot, onions and top off with spinach at the end. I use cream as the base with a stock cube and some seasoning & mixed herbs. Sometimes add tomato pasta depending on meat used.

Not tomato pasta obvs! Tomato paste

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cream and a stock cube, that’s good idea, I was wondering how to get a sauce that wasn’t too thin without using flour. Thank you :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Hesitatedlobster_ dang!!! I was about to look up tomato pasta and see where I could buy it! If nobody has invented it yet, it sounds good enough that they really should