Hey Everyone New And Looking For Shopping Help

fendertele

Hey everyone hope all is well,

I'm about to do a shopping soon and struggling with what I should be looking for there is a lot of conflicting things

Along with Low Gi, i'm trying to go gluten/dairy free so this limits me even more so as I have estrogen dominance issues.

So far I have that any veg besides potatoes are a go, fruit wise everything bar really ripe ones like bananas are okay sticking with mainly grapes,cherries,berries and apples.

Meat wise it gets tougher as I find red meat hard to digest and a lot of meats contain hormones and some have wheat in them which would possibly contain gluten ? I eat a lot of chicken however it can become tiresome having it all the time and would like some variety .

I also have gluten free oats which I enjoy however finding a dairy alternative is hard with them.... the coconut milk I thought was a winner although unsweetened in the lower corner of the carton in small writing " with rice" so that's out... and soya is estrogenic, so an alternative here would be great for having with oats.

sauces, grains, breads, condiments, sweeteners are my biggest challenge...

should I be aiming for high fat,protein in comparison on the ingredients list or is there more to it than just the macronutrients ?

a lot of the brand things like hellmans mayo contain sugar as do Heinze ketchup.. Heinz beans etc... I struggle to eat any meal without some sort of sauce to accompany it..

and for treats/sweets i'm basically just eating dark chocolate.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Why make things overly complicated?.
Unless you have a positive diagnosis for coeliac disease what is the point of a gluten-free diet ?
And do you have an allergy or intolerance to dairy (e.g. to components like cow's milk protein or lactose)?
If you chose to go dairy free how will you ensure adequate calcium intake?
On low carbs and GI diets, how will you ensure your iodine intake.?
Diets are not trivial or fads. By all means read about them but check with approved sites, and approved professionals to ensure that you will receive the appropriate nutrition including vitamins and minerals.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @fendertele. Have you been diagnosed as diabetic? If so, are you Type 1 or Type 2. Do you know your blood glucose levels?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. If you have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes then, sorry, I have to throw yet another spanner into your works by recommending that fruit be kept to a minimum. Bananas and grapes are the worst offenders here as they are the fruit that has the highest fructose levels, berries however have the lowest levels of fructose and are acceptable (i.e in terms of blood glucose levels) for a lot of people.
Of course if you have Type 1 Diabetes then this specific advice does not necessarily apply.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @fendertele :)

I am tagging @daisy1 for our new members information - can you also tell us all what diabetes you have and what treatment you are on ? It helps to know as the information members offer will be relative to your circumstances :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Fendertele and welcome to the Forum. I see daisy1 has been tagged for her useful welcome info post.
A little more info about which type of Diabetes you have (if indeed you are diagnosed), your blood results and a typical days menu will help us help you.
A couple of suggestions, as you struggle with meat, how about fish? Milk alternatives how about unsweetened almond ‘milk’?

fendertele

no sorry I should have went into a little more detail, i'm not diabetic but I have a condition called a prolactinoma that wreaks havoc with my hormones and because of it, my testosterone/prolactin/estrogen/cortisol and a whole load of other things go out of whack so i'm trying to optimize my diet to help heal.

Sorry for posting for a little advice on here but I just wanted to ask people that actually deal with this low glycemic diet week to week.

the reason I am going low GI is due to being insulin resistant I was adrenal insufficient at one point and the two go hand in hand balancing... I notice whenever I eat higher gi foods I get a lot of bloating/water retention/constipation and flatulence.

The no gluten thing is due to it irritating my slight gynocomastia cause by high prolactin/estrogen levels.

It isn't that big an issue food is just food for me to keep the engine running... taste etc treats isn't a biggy the only reason I asked about the sauce thing is purely for ease of swallowing when food is dry

thanks again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no sorry I should have went into a little more detail, i'm not diabetic but I have a condition called a prolactinoma that wreaks havoc with my hormones and because of it, my testosterone/prolactin/estrogen/cortisol and a whole load of other things go out of whack so i'm trying to optimize my diet to help heal.

Sorry for posting for a little advice on here but I just wanted to ask people that actually deal with this low glycemic diet week to week.

the reason I am going low GI is due to being insulin resistant I was adrenal insufficient at one point and the two go hand in hand balancing... I notice whenever I eat higher gi foods I get a lot of bloating/water retention/constipation and flatulence.

The no gluten thing is due to it irritating my slight gynocomastia cause by high prolactin/estrogen levels.

It isn't that big an issue food is just food for me to keep the engine running... taste etc treats isn't a biggy the only reason I asked about the sauce thing is purely for ease of swallowing when food is dry

thanks again.

Fendertele - Thanks for the additional context. When our hormones get a bit out of synch it can really be a challenge to wrangle them back into a decent place.

For ideas, so that people can really help, it would be useful to understand what you like to eat, and also what level of enthusiasm and skill you have in the cooking department.

There are lots of experienced people on here who will be keen to help.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I can't see any mention of eggs, which are a staple for many of us and very nutritious.

You also talk about meats having hormones and wheat in them. Not sure where you get the wheat from (unless you are talking about sausages, burgers etc.) but would I be right is guessing you are from the USA where hormones in meat is a big issue?

Fresh beef, pork, chicken and lamb give you a wide variety of choices and there are many budget cuts of beef which can be slow cooked.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rice is gluten free, I thought, but if you are in the US I do not envy you.
My daughter was living there for a few years and married an American - they came to the UK and my daughter has had so many health problems. My son in law has lost a lot of weight, but has problems eating a normal UK diet.
Fish would be an option if it is tested for mercury, I can get frozen rabbit - but that is from China, so maybe not imported into the US. Grow your own chickens? But then you'd have to be able to feed them.
I can get a really low carb protein bread from the local Polish delicatessen, but it might be too high in gluten even if you can get something similar.
Oy oy oy - as my grandmother would have said. We think we have problems with food choices and diabetes.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@fendertele

Hello Fendertele and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

fendertele

hey thanks for the replies as far as what I like to eat, it really is a non issue I plan on sticking to set amount of calories per day and setting a macro nutrient split aiming for higher protein and fat lower carb, occasionally going higher carb on workout days as I powerlift.

I was just looking mainly for a way to figure out a food sources gi rating based on it's nutrition information on the back of the package and work from there on some items and for the foods without learning which are low gi and are not.

for example today I have been really busy but tomorrow I plan on making low gi versions of favourite sauces/dressings like mayonnaise/tomato ketchup.

I am not too fussed on grains, I like oats and I've found a gluten free version that I plan on having with some non sweetened almond milk which ill eat more or less of depending on if it's a carb high or low day

I have done restricted diets for a long time and after a while I don't bother too much about variety aslong as I know what im putting in me is what I need.

So far my shopping list has been

chicken breast fillets ( frozen) I buy these in bulk as I know it's my main protein source.
eggs ( usually scramble in microwave)
sausages ( most likely to drop due to the wheat in the ingredients list unless its probably minimal and wont affect my gluten intolerance ?)
dark chocolate ( 85 percent)
full fat greek yoghurt ( this one I've read is good but im not sure if I got a good one going by the nutritional stuff but would like to hear how to figure this out)
red grapes ( good for removing estrogen and low gi ?)
almond milk unsweetened ( good gi ?)
peanut butter ( the really oily organic stuff, good protein and fat low carb low gi ?)
hellmans real mayo ( using this only till I make my own as it contains sugar so not sure if its still low gi)
diced lamb frozen ( like sausages might be throwing out as I get a bad stomach after eating, hard to digest or hormones within?)
water ( 5/6 pints a day)
coke zero ( having added yet but waiting to see what the verdict is on it, like having one can a day with my dinner but no biggy if it has to go)
apples ( one a day ?)
whey isolate diet protein poweder ( supposedly is low gi according to product description, had no issues with it mixed with oats and peanut butter the other day infact it was possibly the best I've felt after eating it full and ripped for hours after no bloating.)
quinoa ( haven't bought yet just interested in if its any good as a mix up now and then.. for homemade curry etc.. again I can do without)
butter ( irish kerrygold)
open to other suggestions.. like I enjoy a cup of tea now and then.. I have honey but open to a better sweetener.

Supps : Vit c, Vit D, Magnesium, Zinc, probiotic, Digestive enzymes, multi vit, turmeric and black pepper.

So really i'm aiming for low carb off days and higher carb workout days keeping protein and fat higher and avoiding blood sugar spikes to prevent bloat/water retention/ puffy itchy nipples.

IT's crazy today I've been so busy I was faster all day long... only stopping for a sip of water here and there and I looked fat/bloated/puffy... tonight I sat down to a mixed grill of meat with mayo, followed by greekyoghurt/peanut mutter mix and within 30 mins of eating it... my bloated stomach/chest/face has come right down... so there must be something in the high protein/fat thing that levels my hormones out.. my jeans no longer feel as tight as they did before eating.. and I thought fasting was good.

Thanks again for all the advice, if only there was barcode scanning app that could simply give a gi reading... maybe one day lol

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks again for all the advice, if only there was barcode scanning app that could simply give a gi reading... maybe one day lol
Lots of GI tables on the internet for you to consult eg:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/dise...lycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods
https://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/gi_diet/glycaemic_index_tables.htm
However the tables don't all agree one with another. In addition, foods will change their GI when eaten with other foods, notably those high in fat. Personally, I think going by low carb is preferable, but even there not all lists and labels agree.

Reactions: Prem51

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As you may gather many of us follow a low carb diet with higher fats and proteins to have the nutrients we need but avoiding blood sugar rise from the carbs. Low-GI carbs are always the best carbs to have. Avoid honey as it's just another sugar. Don't worry about sweeteners unless you know you have a problem with them. The negative stuff you may have read about them is not backed up by good research.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@fendertele - for me, personally the GI score has always seemed to be a red herring. How slowly a blood sugar rise happens is all very nice, but it is the rise itself I focused on. So, for me, I just stick with the lower carb stuff. I am also gluten free.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hey thanks for the replies as far as what I like to eat, it really is a non issue I plan on sticking to set amount of calories per day and setting a macro nutrient split aiming for higher protein and fat lower carb, occasionally going higher carb on workout days as I powerlift.

I was just looking mainly for a way to figure out a food sources gi rating based on it's nutrition information on the back of the package and work from there on some items and for the foods without learning which are low gi and are not.

for example today I have been really busy but tomorrow I plan on making low gi versions of favourite sauces/dressings like mayonnaise/tomato ketchup.

I am not too fussed on grains, I like oats and I've found a gluten free version that I plan on having with some non sweetened almond milk which ill eat more or less of depending on if it's a carb high or low day

I have done restricted diets for a long time and after a while I don't bother too much about variety aslong as I know what im putting in me is what I need.

So far my shopping list has been

chicken breast fillets ( frozen) I buy these in bulk as I know it's my main protein source.
eggs ( usually scramble in microwave)
sausages ( most likely to drop due to the wheat in the ingredients list unless its probably minimal and wont affect my gluten intolerance ?)
dark chocolate ( 85 percent)
full fat greek yoghurt ( this one I've read is good but im not sure if I got a good one going by the nutritional stuff but would like to hear how to figure this out)
red grapes ( good for removing estrogen and low gi ?)
almond milk unsweetened ( good gi ?)
peanut butter ( the really oily organic stuff, good protein and fat low carb low gi ?)
hellmans real mayo ( using this only till I make my own as it contains sugar so not sure if its still low gi)
diced lamb frozen ( like sausages might be throwing out as I get a bad stomach after eating, hard to digest or hormones within?)
water ( 5/6 pints a day)
coke zero ( having added yet but waiting to see what the verdict is on it, like having one can a day with my dinner but no biggy if it has to go)
apples ( one a day ?)
whey isolate diet protein poweder ( supposedly is low gi according to product description, had no issues with it mixed with oats and peanut butter the other day infact it was possibly the best I've felt after eating it full and ripped for hours after no bloating.)
quinoa ( haven't bought yet just interested in if its any good as a mix up now and then.. for homemade curry etc.. again I can do without)
butter ( irish kerrygold)
open to other suggestions.. like I enjoy a cup of tea now and then.. I have honey but open to a better sweetener.

Supps : Vit c, Vit D, Magnesium, Zinc, probiotic, Digestive enzymes, multi vit, turmeric and black pepper.

So really i'm aiming for low carb off days and higher carb workout days keeping protein and fat higher and avoiding blood sugar spikes to prevent bloat/water retention/ puffy itchy nipples.

IT's crazy today I've been so busy I was faster all day long... only stopping for a sip of water here and there and I looked fat/bloated/puffy... tonight I sat down to a mixed grill of meat with mayo, followed by greekyoghurt/peanut mutter mix and within 30 mins of eating it... my bloated stomach/chest/face has come right down... so there must be something in the high protein/fat thing that levels my hormones out.. my jeans no longer feel as tight as they did before eating.. and I thought fasting was good.

That's quite a list....

Okay, do you mean low GI or low carb?
How are your blood sugars with what you are currently eating? Do you test?
It's my understanding that insulin resistance may be a precursor to T2 diabetes, so it might be better to lower carbs to a reasonable level, somewhere between 50-100g a day? or lower, depending on your reaction to this.
A low carb meal could be protein of your choice with a veg of your choice, and enough good fat to keep you sated.
Personally I stay away from coke zero, since the sweeteners in it spike me. Also fruit is a real no-no due to the high amount of fructose in it. Even if youre not diabetic, large amounts of fructose can lead to NAFLD.
Oats aren't great either as although they raise sugars and are slowly digested and release energy in a sustained way, they tend to keep blood sugars higher for longer.......
Low GI isn't necessarily low carb, either.
As for the GI readings, I have seen fairly comprehensive tables of these online:
https://www.gisymbol.com/gi-database-of-foods/
Try this......it might help you find what you're looking for, but it sounds as if you really need to speak to a good dietician, experienced in the hormonal issues you have. Are you under the care of an endocrinologist? If not, it may help to seek advice from one.