Type 1 Hypos hours after meals (even with correct carb to insulin ratio) followed by hypers

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
141g of carbs, 10u for food, 1u for correction and I ate peas, chips and chicken nuggets.

It was only about 5 mins before.

Of course I do a BG test before eating. Currently my Libre overreads by about 2mmol/L, so I still finger prick at least 4 times a day. Even if the Libre was accurate, with how sensitive my sugars are, I don't think I'd use the Libre to bolus any time soon.
okay --- so you are curently working on an I:C ratio of 1 to 14.1 carb for lunch meal
keep records -- try the same meal a few times in a row over a number of days
see what your history looks like and come back with a trend analysis ...................do you need to adjust ???/ or not ?????
( increase or decrease your bolus for that type of meal )

honestly -- I have done this sort of calculation for months / years -- to get to where I think I know what I am doing
most important thing is to be kind to yourself -- none of us are ever perfect -- we continually are doing modified trial and error ( with prior knowledge to assist margin of error )

hope this helps

Reactions: SamElliott1997

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
okay --- so you are curently working on an I:C ratio of 1 to 14.1 carb for lunch meal
keep records -- try the same meal a few times in a row over a number of days
see what your history looks like and come back with a trend analysis ...................do you need to adjust ???/ or not ?????
( increase or decrease your bolus for that type of meal )

honestly -- I have done this sort of calculation for months / years -- to get to where I think I know what I am doing
most important thing is to be kind to yourself -- none of us are ever perfect -- we continually are doing modified trial and error ( with prior knowledge to assist margin of error )

hope this helps

That does help a bit thank you. Though in starting to think for certain meals, I might need dose before I eat, and then top it up a two to three hours later, this way it prevents the hypo at about two hours, but also prevents the hyper at about three hours. I dunno, hoping to hear back from my DSN tomorrow.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my honest opinion -- we can overthink things cuz we are feeling them in real time -- it is hard to stand back from yourself and look totally objectively ......... that is where the forum can help...... but ultimately YOU control your D -- so being closely in touch with it is a cornerstone of long term good control

got your back mate !!!!!!!!
PM me any time you need an ear -- always around
p
xx

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
141g of carbs, 10u for food, 1u for correction and I ate peas, chips and chicken nuggets.

It was only about 5 mins before.

Of course I do a BG test before eating. Currently my Libre overreads by about 2mmol/L, so I still finger prick at least 4 times a day. Even if the Libre was accurate, with how sensitive my sugars are, I don't think I'd use the Libre to bolus any time soon.

Was that a KFC or home made (oven baked chicken and Chips? or real fried chips?) Just wondering how accurate that 141g of carbs is, could you explain how you came to that figure?

And what did you have to correct the hypo just after 8pm? how many carbs was that?

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was that a KFC or home made (oven baked chicken and Chips? or real fried chips?) Just wondering how accurate that 141g of carbs is, could you explain how you came to that figure?

And what did you have to correct the hypo just after 8pm? how many carbs was that?

Home made, though I don't half fancy A KFC right now you've days that. Also,I weigh out everything I cook.

It was a 200ml carton of orange juice, 9g of carbs.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a 200ml carton of orange juice, 9g of carbs.

Sure of that? I know different OJs have different carb values, Tescos Everyday value 200ml carton is 18g carbs, so I'm just wondering about your other carb counting skills :woot:;):playful:

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure of that? I know different OJs have different carb values, Tescos Everyday value 200ml carton is 18g carbs, so I'm just wondering about your other carb counting skills :woot:;):playful:

Says 9g of carbs on the side... Can't argue with that

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
9g per 100ml, and it's a 200ml carton ?

Okay, so to make carb counting easier, I use my fitness pal to bring up the values easily. Turns out the value for 1 carton of this orange juice on my fitness pal is actually the value for 100ml like you said. Glad that you've spotted this to be honest, thank you

1044f4ed9ecac6c59c714748f9ced183.jpg

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Easy mistake to do! don't worry about it.

So they say 10g of carbs will raise your BG by 2-3mmol (yeah right we know we're all different but lets use that for a sec) - this carton of OJ could potentially raise you 4-6mmol then - hence the steep rise you saw on the Libre along with maybe the delayed carbs from your chicken'n'chips.

Now - and this has just come to me - back in the dark ages my DSN said to me that having a meal 100+g of carbs doesn't always need the full ratio amount, this was when I was going hypo after lunch, and back then lunch was 2 rounds of sandwiches, bag of crisps and apple or banana and a choccy bar..........80g in the sandwich, crisps 15g, fruit 15-20g, and choccy bar upwards of 20g, so 130-140g and I'd duly do 26 to 28u of actrapid and 2hrs later be at the vending machine getting a 'full-fat' coke. knocking off a few units helped, although I shortly after also thought perhaps I should cut back on the carbs too.

Now also from memory, the oven baked chips once cooked have ~25g per 100g (maybe 30g?), no idea about your chicken nuggets, coated in bread crumbs 25g per 100g? Peas - I can't stand them - a trace of carbs? (a quick google 14g per 100g)

I'm sure you're a growing lad but I think 140g of carbs of the above is a very big plateful - I eat a lot but I doubt I can eat 250g of chips + 250g of chicken nuggets and 100g of peas (even if I did like them!).

PM me if you want

AndyRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm around 14 months in from T1 diagnosis. I have come to the simple conclusion that carb counting is largely a lottery, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I love carbs and have yet to limit them too much, but eating the same foods/combinations with my "normal" insulin dosage kind of works. If I deviate things can go to pot very easily. My HbA1c went from the low 90's to 47 after six months and it's remained fairly stable. I'm hoping the next will be a little lower as I gain in experience.

From what I can tell the only people who have real success are those on a very low carb diet, with fewer variables, thus easier to strike the balance.

Probably a fairly negative response because I don't subscribe to idea the diabetics can eat whatever they want. There are far to many variables and we simply don't have sufficient information. The best you can do is find what work for you and that takes time, and then it will continue to change on almost daily basis.

Things will settle down......I've been exactly where you are.

andersl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen a gp or consultant? Have you been diagnosed with diabetes? If not then it is possible you have reactive hypoglycaemia.

andersl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I didn't see your first message. So you are diabetic. Best to mention this when you next see your consultant though I'm sure managing your diet could help