Hypos Whilst Asleep

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Type 2 over 15 years - never had a hypo think I unconsciously have kept them high to avoid one

The quesition I have is I am on insulin and am trying to better get my BS under control

Sometime at night Im sweating - disturbed sleep etc - but when I test my BS when I get up a few hours later it is normally about 6-10

So can you have a hypo and your BS then rise again without taking anything ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it can (Google the Somogyi Effect).

I'd be inclined to set an alarm for a few nights and test your bg levels through the night, if you find your going low you can take preventative measures like reducing your insulin or snacking before bed.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The symptoms you describe are asymptomatic of fluctuating blood glucose levels.
The way I stopped it was control all the time and having Greek full fat yoghurt about an hour before bed.
If you are going to have something before sleep always make it slow acting and very low carb, so digestion is gradual and you won't spike during sleep.
Always adjust your meds a little lower than normal, so the insulin won't affect your bloods.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Hibby65 Test your blood sugar when you feel like that. Don't wait till morning. Then you'll know for,sure if it's a hypo and be able to treat it if it is. If you ever feel at all funny, it's sensible to,test.

Reactions: 2 people

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cheers everyone

Will take on the advice and do a few tests at night if I get this again. Once again thanks for taking the time to reply

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you can hypo at night whilst sleeping. I usually can tell in the morning when I've had one too as I have a hung over feeling (the hypo hangover) and the tell tail sign is my sugar reading is high and tends to stay high for the day as well. I have a tendency at times of half waking up while having a hypo and then I fall back to sleep immediately... but I remember in the morning and wonder why I didn't treat it. Sometimes I actually do get up and treat it. But when I do get up and test I'm in the 3's or lower usually. So the ones I miss I'm sure I go much lower and that's why it takes me a while to recover. Thankfully I think I've been avoiding them lately which is good. I think you will get to know for yourself what to look out for and try the best you can to treat it as it happens as well (although best intentions doesn't always work with me. lol.)