I think I'm stumped for a low carb sub (haggis)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh @MrsA2 this sounds yummy. You don't happen to have a recipe. I'm kind of new to actual "cooking" rather than "heating" and it really is a "do exactly as it says and it might work" activity for me.
I find that you can't really go wrong with low carb savoury cooking.. the ingredients all taste good however they are cooked.
It's a bit more tricky with sweet becuase the sweeteners are all brand names and have different ingredients and proportions ( and are expensive) but savoury is fine
Combinations of eggs, cheese, veg, nuts. If it doesn't turn out as expected, just call it something different! No one will know ;)

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that you can't really go wrong with low carb savoury cooking..
I understand the principal but its still a bit daunting.I'm getting there. I've mastered a basic creamy cheese sauce that they all love and reappears in a variety of guises. I'll get there.Thanks again for your help.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't tasted it yet but so far so good on the keto haggis for Burns day. Roll on Thursday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_135635_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_135635_Gallery.jpg
    835.9 KB · Views: 48

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I haven't tasted it yet but so far so good on the keto haggis for Burns day. Roll on Thursday.
Looking good! I couldn’t find those sausages at Morrison’s or Tesco (the only ones who deliver to our area. I confess I didn’t get round to searching down substitutes.

caffree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not North of the border, but my family were, and I love Haggis so would be interested to know how this recipe turns out.
Type 1, but have had a few shop bought ones that weren't great.
My Scots pal Jamie says a shop-bought one has to be M&S , but they don't always have them. Will do for Burns Night, nae doot.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The verdict. It was lovely and I'm pleased but it didn't really taste like haggis. It was the perfect texture but it tasted like what it was-sausage and black pudding. Next time I need to make it a bit ?spicier? Suggestions welcome. I enjoyed it with some halloumi fries and a handful of spinach. 5.4 before and 6.8 after two hours so not perfect but perfectly acceptable. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 20240125_175748.jpg
    20240125_175748.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
The verdict. It was lovely and I'm pleased but it didn't really taste like haggis. It was the perfect texture but it tasted like what it was-sausage and black pudding. Next time I need to make it a bit ?spicier? Suggestions welcome. I enjoyed it with some halloumi fries and a handful of spinach. 5.4 before and 6.8 after two hours so not perfect but perfectly acceptable. Thanks for all the help.
So glad it turned out ok. It looks awesome.
I hope you had a good Burns Night. You deserved it after tracking, hunting and catching that sneaky little haggis!

EDIT: Did you use mace, nutmeg AND coriander as well as a goodly amount of black pepper? Maybe tweak one or more of those next time?

Last edited:
Reactions: MissMuffett

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which recipe did you use in the end?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.matthewsfriends.org/2020/06/22/haggis/ This one but not really a recommendation because it was a bit bland
Hmm the ingredients are very different from a real haggis so I’m not surprised it didn’t taste like haggis, strangely apart from the oats in haggis the ingredients are pretty much perfect for a low carb diet so don't understand why they used black pudding (which can be quite carby in itself)

I did find some lower carb haggis whilst having a bit of a browse around that was about 6g carb for a 50g patty, may be ok for a treat now & then - it may be worth a test and see, you never know :)

Will see if I can find it again

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found it, but its not true haggis either - and I don’t like the way they call offal “all the nasties” that’s what makes haggis so flipping good! But still may be worth a try

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found it, but its not true haggis either - and I don’t like the way they call offal “all the nasties” that’s what makes haggis so flipping good! But still may be worth a try
Thank you. I tried to buy it but it seems they have a minimum order of £75 ,nothing to do with free delivery just minimum order

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I tried to buy it but it seems they have a minimum order of £75 ,nothing to do with free delivery just minimum order
WOW! That’s ridiculous- och - just have a wee bit o’er the puddin - I do now and then when I make balmoral chicken breasts and I’m keto and my BG is fine

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Being a resourceful and tight-fisted Ulsterman I now plan to scour the supermarkets - for they will be marking down unsold but perfectly good haggis. Frozen in slices and carefully managed one haggis will enliven many fryups for months. And provide over half of my daily carbs.