I think I'm stumped for a low carb sub (haggis)

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
January 25th is Burn's day and for loads of us folks this side of the border haggis is traditional. For the last 30 years or so I've hosted this and would really not like this to be a years where I sit with a sausage! Since diagnosis in August I've bought or made subs for everything. Birthday cakes, right through Christmas and New Year no problem but I'm struggling for a haggis. I did find this https://www.matthewsfriends.org/2020/06/22/haggis/ and it looks doable but the nutrition talks about ratios rather than carbs and I have no idea what that means. FAT: 18.17g PRO: 4.77g CHO: 4.23g Kcals: 200 Ratio: 1.99:1.
The ingredients are
  • 20g Sausages BlackFarmer Premium
  • 7g Butter
  • 3g Oatbran Fine Cut White's from Holland & Barrett
  • 16g Black pudding, raw
  • 5g Oil, vegetable, average
Actual question- Does anyone have a good low carb/keto sub for haggis? Can anyone give me a rough carb count from the above? Can someone tell me what the ratio stuff means?
Thanks folks
Some hae meat an canna eat, And some wad eat that want it; But we hae meat, and we can eat, And sae the Lord be thankit.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I too have been trying to find a haggis sub! I shall watch this thread with interest.

Reactions: Margarettt

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not North of the border, but my family were, and I love Haggis so would be interested to know how this recipe turns out.
Type 1, but have had a few shop bought ones that weren't great.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
but the nutrition talks about ratios rather than carbs and I have no idea what that means. FAT: 18.17g PRO: 4.77g CHO: 4.23g Kcals: 200 Ratio: 1.99:1.
CHO is the carbohydrates btw (yes I couldnt remember why it was carbohydrates but knew it was, so googled it)

1704975275139.png

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not meaning to offend any haggis purists..,
The version I did at Christmas of a walnut and mushroom nut roast was a similar to haggis texture. It was remarkabley easy and of the right texture if mushrooms and nuts blitzed well in a processor.
Perhaps it could be adapted adding in lots of blackpudding?

I would try it myself but life's getting in the way of cooking currently

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The version I did at Christmas of a walnut and mushroom nut roast was a similar to haggis texture. It was remarkabley easy and of the right texture if mushrooms and nuts blitzed well in a processor.
Gosh @MrsA2 this sounds yummy. You don't happen to have a recipe. I'm kind of new to actual "cooking" rather than "heating" and it really is a "do exactly as it says and it might work" activity for me.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: jessj and Antje77

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not meaning to offend any haggis purists..,

I would try it myself but life's getting in the way of cooking currently
Oooo, yes please, recipe for me too! @Margarettt maybe we should start a taste testing session!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll tag in @LivingLightly who first posted a recipe.
I think I adapted her original with an idea from the Internet.
Can't quite remember quantities but I think
I softened a chopped onion in a frying pan.
Added in mushrooms (maybe 150g?) that had been blitzed in a food processor
When they were nearly cooked added sage and rosemary
Then added walnuts (maybe 200g?) blitzed in the food processor
Then added an egg
And maybe a tablespoon or so of milled seeds.(maybe leave this out if you want a crumblier texture, or leave it in for a firmer slice)
Mixed it altogether put into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof (or parchment paper) and cooked in oven.

Mine was done at same temperature as Xmas turkey was cooking but only for about 30-40 minutes.
Sorry it so vague
Can't really go wrong. If there's too many mushrooms it might get a bit too soft but would still taste good

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Then added an egg
And maybe a tablespoon or so of milled seeds.(maybe leave this out if you want a crumblier texture, or leave it in for a firmer slice)
Mixed it altogether put into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof (or parchment paper) and cooked in oven.

Mine was done at same temperature as Xmas turkey was cooking but only for about 30-40 minutes.
Sorry it so vague
Can't really go wrong. If there's too many mushrooms it might get a bit too soft but would still taste good
Thank you! Off to raid my nut tub.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then added an egg

Sorry it so vague
Thank you so much @MrsA2 for making this straightforward. I appreciate it.

Reactions: jessj and MrsA2