Increasing calorie burn without increasing time spent

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For any given exercise type such as walking, running, cycling there will be an initial gain in fitness then the body will (I believe) peak at a level where a major increase in effort is needed for any further small increase in performance.

At the moment I am walking 6 miles at roughly 4 miles per hour. This is an increase of about 30% over the alleged preferred walking pace of 3.1 mph. To gain another 30% I would have to up my walking speed to 5.2 mph and I'm not convinced that my legs are capable of that without immense amount of pain and possible structural damage to feet, knees and hips.

I could, of course, increase my daily walk at burn more calories but there is a limit to the time you can allocate unless you are a professional athlete. Roughly 1.5 hours a day is probably enough and it is already becoming a chore on wet and windy days.

So where to go from here?

As I get fitter and lighter the effort required to maintain the same pace will gradually become less, and so the calories burnt will become less. Increase in speed and duration can only go so far.

I can't upgrade to running because my legs and feet won't take it any more.

Should I be thinking about walking with aback pack with something heavy in it? This would increase the energy demand for the same pace and distance.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/494473-how-to-burn-calories-by-walking-with-a-weighted-backpack/

This could be the next step {groan}

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight lifting till the state where ones muscles do hurt a bit is the optimal way to create a state in ones body where you all day around do burn more calories, when the muscles are forced to build more muscle mass then you will in many more hours burn more calories while the muscles do "repair/build up" and that burnes much more calories than endurance excercise do where the metabolism do get low to normal in about an hour after excercise with weight lifting it takes like 3-4 hours before the metabolism gets down again after excercise... you can do that at home.... buy some weight of different weight or some where you can change the amount of weight on them..

in weight lifting you can always go higher all the time and it also has the advantage to diabetes that the muscles can be up to 30% better at storing glucose, which mean you would be better at managing blood glucose...

you couls do likw 10 minutes in the morning and then some other in noon and in the evening another part of the body it doesn´t have to take much time as long as you go to the border of what you can lift like repeat 10 - 12 times x 3

women can start with 1 liter of milk in each hand... or something a little lighter like a bottle of Water... most men would have to start with more weight

https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes-exercise

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying to up my daily steps. I nearly always do my 10,000 but am aiming to get that to 12.000 daily. (I already do 45 mins powerwalk per night) So I've added a sneaky little way to help without spending hours walking.. I'd read on these forums that even just standing up frequently , helps the metabolism, so every time I get up and move anywhere in the house I make sure I do 100 steps at least. Even if it's just marching or jogging on the spot. I do this while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil etc. Not recommended while pouring though ;)
Every time I change rooms I do those 100 steps, bit of a challenge in the loo but it is working :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not running for a couple of weeks as I've got a foot niggle (improving!) so I've upped my intensity in the pool.

Instead of doing alternate lengths on my front (hard work) and my back (less hard work) I'm doing sets of three on my front and one on my back. It's REALLY made a difference to my (perceived) effort - and I'm hungrier and I'm getting scarily muscular across my neck and shoulders!

My point is, I'm doing the same thing (swimming) for about the same length of time and distance (30 ish lengths) but I'm working much harder.

To achieve more 'work' for your body @LittleGreyCat but the same sort of distance could you alter your route to include more hills? Harder work for your body but perhaps not too awful for your knees?

Weighted backpack sounds scary but hey, why not?

'Next step' - LOL!!!!!!

:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If you can build more muscle it will automatically burn more calories even at rest. So body weight exercises may help if you can do them, squats, lunges, press ups.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@LittleGreyCat I used to wear ankle and/or wrist weights when I wanted to make an ordinary walk more intense.

Last edited: