Insulin requirement changes...

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm currently 18+3 weeks pregnant and so far, my insulin requirements have been about half of what I was pre-pregnancy.

I was just wondering in others experiences when this started to increase?

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I am 27+4 weeks and have just started to increase. Woke up with 10.1 this morning!!! (Usually 6 ish).

I am sure that it's going to be different for everyone though.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It crept up a little and then the definite insulin resistance started from approx 25 wks for me. Prior to that, it was a reduction in hypos and no more free snacks. So the change probably happened over a few weeks, if that makes sense.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Postitnote oh that's quite a lot further along than I thought! I've noticed the past couple of days I've been a lot higher post meals so was wondering whether it may be time to start upping my carb to insulin ratio... My basal rate still seems fine tho!

I'll keep an eye on it and see if I need to change it over the next day or so

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It crept up a little and then the definite insulin resistance started from approx 25 wks for me. Prior to that, it was a reduction in hypos and no more free snacks. So the change probably happened over a few weeks, if that makes sense.

Ahh yes I think that may be starting to happen for me. I've definitely not had nearly as many hypos and can't get away with eating anything I've not injected for now other than at about 5pm when my basal peaks.

I think I'm going to have to up my carb ratio shortly so keeping a close eye on my readings!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Watch for patterns - ie persistent higher readings at the same times. It takes a few days to be sure. I increased my insulin very cautiously to start with. Eating the same meal for a day or two or three can help get ratios right.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
If you're spiking after meals, it may also help to experiment with the timing of your injections. For breakfast I need to inject 40 minutes before to minimise the spike.

It's been a slow change. I used to be able to eat 100g of tangfastics without bolus but that's over now. a good thing as sweet food makes the indigestion worse. Which is cruel as I still hypo at least once a day so can't help but have something sweet!

Reactions: 2 people